Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Public Beta

Improved phase inverter modeling in Amp block. New algorithm includes bias shifting which results in more harmonic spectrum variation with input amplitude.

Awesome... a lot of magic in the PI and it's affect on tone/distortion/harmonic generation.

This one is the shiznit for non-MV amps.

Even more awesome; I use NMV amps about 95% of the time, and every time you've said an update improves NMV amps it's always is apparent to me, big time!!

Improved Amp block cathode follower modeling (again).

LOL several firmware updates have indicated improvements to the cathode follower; is there anything that you could further elaborate on (without giving away the farm obviously), or provide some info, as to why you've been working so hard refining this particular stage/part of the circuit. Am very curious that you keep peeling that onion layer by layer as improvements have had clear results, both in sonics and feel. Seems to be a lot 'going on' there...

After changing over to 6.02, I played a couple of jazz gigs, using my main archtop patch based on the Deluxe Reverb. I've NEVER been more pleased, satisfied, and inspired w/ the response of that patch than I now am. I clearly remember thinking "Jeez... I hope Cliff doesn't change a thing, 'cuz this DR tone is PERFECT." Now this...;)
But I suspect the main reason I was/am so happy with the tone is 'cuz I changed the preamp tube to the new RCA option.... which corresponds to a pref that a lot of vintage-tone junkies like myself preferred in the real amps.
I'm praying that the "bell-like treble" qualities that I'm now digging so much are still there w/ Q7. Based on a couple of comments, it sounds like they are...

I'm so fucking glad I bought an Axe FX. The gift that keeps on giving! Thank you, Fractal!
I think you're thinking of the Jelly of the Month Club...
jelly-of-the-month-club.jpg

LOL several firmware updates have indicated improvements to the cathode follower; is there anything that you could further elaborate on (without giving away the farm obviously), or provide some info, as to why you've been working so hard refining this particular stage/part of the circuit. Am very curious that you keep peeling that onion layer by layer as improvements have had clear results, both in sonics and feel. Seems to be a lot 'going on' there...
I susupect this time the biggest improvement is about the PI because turning the new parameter to 0% kinda takes back the sound to what they were in 6.03.
I'm praying that the "bell-like treble" qualities that I'm now digging so much are still there w/ Q7.
They're even more there IMHO ;)

So glad I took the night off... Was working on a Friedman BE v1 patch Q6 when I saw the update. So I downloaded Q7 installed it.
Defiantly heard a difference. Such A nice feel and bounce to this tone machine

Did not default to the "Latest" in the amp block though

The NMV's do sound beautiful. The Double Verb and its ilk have taken on a new bell-like quality that really sings.

One odd thing I have noticed while trawling through the amps is that the Super Verb now has a full-on crunch quality - a little too hot IMO. Dialling back the modelling version to either Q2, Q2.04, Q3.xx or Q4.xx restores the classic, clean-ish zing of the real thing whereas modelling versions Q2.01, Q5, Q6 and Latest bring on the crunch big time.

Please get me up to speed. About a month ago it sounded like the Axe Fx II Mark I & II had reached the "end of the updates". Did something change?

Please get me up to speed. About a month ago it sounded like the Axe Fx II Mark I & II had reached the "end of the updates". Did something change?
Cliff and Staff happened!! To sum it up, if you have an Axe FX II MI or II, you can continue to update, but you no longer have the Axe edit function to roll back to previous modeling version, you only have the latest modeling version. If you want previous modeling, you must upload previous version software.

With this update I am noticing that it requires a lot less tweaking to get a good sound through headphones. The higher frequencies sound sweet and not harsh at all even with my Tele that is really bright. The note decay seems more natural on the highs and high mids also, at least through my headphones.

Are the highs being compressed some? I really love this update.

Last edited:
This one is the shiznit for non-MV amps. Toans go "weedle, weedle" instead of "honk, honk".

It sounds great!

Will the release version include those extra IRs that XL and XL+ users have? I looked several times and unless I am missing something they are not currently in the UltraRes sample folder. I did however find a couple in there that have now become some of my favorites!

Thanks for all the hard work!

The NMV's do sound beautiful. The Double Verb and its ilk have taken on a new bell-like quality that really sings.

One odd thing I have noticed while trawling through the amps is that the Super Verb now has a full-on crunch quality - a little too hot IMO. Dialling back the modelling version to either Q2, Q2.04, Q3.xx or Q4.xx restores the classic, clean-ish zing of the real thing whereas modelling versions Q2.01, Q5, Q6 and Latest bring on the crunch big time.

The Super Verb has a mistake in it. When I was entering the data for the model I accidentally changed one of the gain values. I discovered it right after I released the beta as I was going through the factory presets. It will be fixed for the final release.

Nice!! - In the next revision can you improve the quantum photon matrix in the flux capacitor modeling?

Haha... jk... sounds amazing! You are awesome, Cliff and co!

>> Improved phase inverter modeling in Amp block. New algorithm includes bias shifting which results in more harmonic spectrum variation with input amplitude.

Back
Top Bottom