Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Public Beta

Loving 7beta.

Is there a list of all the non MV amps that I could checkout so I can jump through and try them out?

You can tell if an amp is non-MV by the value of the MV when the model is selected. If it is 10.0 then it is a non-MV amp. Amps with Master Volumes will also be affected but the amount of the effect is dependent upon the MV. I.e. if you crank the MV on, say, the SLO100 you'll get some bias shift.

You're doing all the right things.

You're right. Very right.

I'll have more opinions later, but I just literally lost 3 hours playing mostly Plexi 100/50 and AC30. For some reason I had to dial back the input/gain...and it sounded SO much better...the sound in my head. I also nuked a bunch of the mild EQ I had dialed in. Toan's out 'o the box.

Had to dial back the fancy new option on MV amps to bring back the 'punch', but it was there.

Killer update.

Still use that Supro patch BTW Justin.

You can tell if an amp is non-MV by the value of the MV when the model is selected. If it is 10.0 then it is a non-MV amp. Amps with Master Volumes will also be affected but the amount of the effect is dependent upon the MV. I.e. if you crank the MV on, say, the SLO100 you'll get some bias shift.
So virtually any amp can be a NMV?

So virtually any amp can be a NMV?
Not really. MV amps are designed to get most of their distortion from the preamp. When you dime the MV on those amps, the power amp gets driven crazy hard, and it starts to contribute a ton of distortion. When you combine that distortion with the preamp distortion, you take a one-way ride into muddy, flubby, farty sound.

You could make up for that by backing the preamp gain way down, but the results will be different from what you would get by dialing up a non-MV amp. Try it, though; you never know what discoveries you might make.

I went back and looked at the Liverpool model and I realized one of the PI Bias Shift values is wrong. I stupidly copied the values from the Express forgetting that the Liverpool uses a Vox-style phase inverter. I'm going back over all the models in detail before the final release so things will change.
In-The-Middle-of-Every-Difficulty.jpg

Not really. MV amps are designed to get most of their distortion from the preamp. When you dime the MV on those amps, the power amp gets driven crazy hard, and it starts to contribute a ton of distortion. When you combine that distortion with the preamp distortion, you take a one-way ride into muddy, flubby, farty sound.

You could make up for that by backing the preamp gain way down, but the results will be different from what you would get by dialing up a non-MV amp. Try it, though; you never know what discoveries you might make.
Well....fwiw it depends on how hard you hit the power amp. In my world is rather run a high gainer low in the front and have the master up to where the output starts compressing.
Plus you have designs like old 2203s where the MV is pretty useless IMO.

Well....fwiw it depends on how hard you hit the power amp. In my world is rather run a high gainer low in the front and have the master up to where the output starts compressing.
Plus you have designs like old 2203s where the MV is pretty useless IMO.
And that depends on your definition of "it" when you say "It depends." :)

If "it" is the tone you get, then it depends on how hard you hit the power amp—and what you hit it with. If you hit a dimed PA with a relatively clean preamp with a lot of headroom, you'll get a certain result. If you hit a dimed PA with a dirty, hairy preamp with attitude, that only cleans up when the gain knob is set below 0.3, you get a different result.

HI all

great FW... as usual !
Love the PLexi: seems like the low mid are more focused/controled, with sweet top end as others stated.

Thanks a lot for this in depth explanation.

This is actually a trick that some people use with the Fender Blues Jr (the physical amp, not the AxeFX model). Crank the MV way up, and then use the input volume to control the actual volume. Obviously it starts to distort pretty quickly, and you can get a good power amplifier overdrive sound at reasonable volumes.

Does everyone here always reset the amp block in their presets after a major firmware update like this one, or is that only for certain updates?

An SLO100 with the MV on about 7 is absolutely glorious. You really don't want to be in a small space with it that loud but damn it sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom