Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Public Beta

Hi all

Been away from my XL for a few weeks - still on the first 6.0x.

It seems (?) the upcoming latest FW 7 is being expected to be something significant (?) .... or am I / or fellow posters here reading too much into things (?)

Ben

Hi all

It seems (?) the upcoming latest FW 7 is being expected to be something significant (?) .... or am I / or fellow posters here reading too much into things (?)

Ben
You will pee yourself!

Hi all

Ben
Say bye bye to honk... it's weedle weedle time...

I ran the beta at band practice last Friday. The Plexi 100w absolutely killed. It has replaced the mark 4 as my go to amp. It was basically just the new factory preset named plexi 100w with the drive pedal tweaked a bit. Really looking forward to the new firmware.

Too funny coincidentally, I was playing this model (Plexi 100w) all day yesterday ... sounds incredible, super flexible and great toans ... put a formant (pre-amp block) in it and 8 voice stereo phaser (post-cab block) and ended up playing Aerosmith's sweet emotion while rocking an exp. pedal on the formant (Aa-Ee-Oh), then switch scenes and drop into the the verse with a rockin' amp plus a touch of delay/verb. This box is just too fun ...:D

Last edited:
What I'm liking about this beta is I'm learning mixing, and I'm gaining an appreciation for what the box permits from soling practice through to mixing/finding a seat for the guitar in the various sections in a mix, which in modern music can get varied and crazy - while keeping a bit of continuity.

If I had an analog rig I would probably have only 3% of the options with respect to subtle to moderate modification my tones for different parts on a track. The bias parameter, all the advanced amp parameters, FAT, all the drive pedals, my two filters I always keep in the chain (and sometimes the Axe FX parametric, but I also find myself when in front of my DAWs, using Spline EQ, and Fabfilter Pro-Q2 for EQ, and Xfer LFO Tool to control eq and envelope - speaking of LFO tool, Cliff could do a dynamics type fx block...but it might eat CPU).

Anyways, its really an advantage. And it would be more so if I had enough geekatude to use the tone match function to combine with cabs, and hone my sounds.

LOL, if I want, I can switch to different cabs depending on what other instruments happen to be playing at any time. Not that I would do that. It would sound disjointing. But if you tell me I can't, I will...

Last edited:
Hi all

Ben

It always gets like this with new firmware, especially when something is hinted at. Speculation runs rampant. People lose sleep. It drops and it's the greatest thing that's ever happened to guitar tone. Then it dies down until the next hint is dropped and it starts all over again.

It's going to be at least a few more days. Lots of data to acquire and enter.

It's gotta be a little disconcerting having all those amps, many of them high-end, rare and/or vintage units, sitting around in various stages of disassembly all the time.

I used to do amp repairs years ago, and had a cat with mental problems. One night she decided this old Gibson amp chassis I was working on looked more like a litter box than anything else, so she pissed in it. I didn't know this, and when I powered it up the next day it let the smoke out. She was invited to pursue other opportunities in living arrangements not too much longer after that.

Imagine having that happen to a Dumble, or Petrucci's Mark II.

It always gets like this with new firmware, especially when something is hinted at. Speculation runs rampant. People lose sleep. It drops and it's the greatest thing that's ever happened to guitar tone. Then it dies down until the next hint is dropped and it starts all over again.
It's like when someone hands you free money every few weeks. Sometimes it's a hundred-dollar bill. Sometimes it's a twenty. But it's always exciting and always appreciated.

It's gotta be a little disconcerting having all those amps, many of them high-end, rare and/or vintage units, sitting around in various stages of disassembly all the time.

I used to do amp repairs years ago, and had a cat with mental problems. One night she decided this old Gibson amp chassis I was working on looked more like a litter box than anything else, so she pissed in it. I didn't know this, and when I powered it up the next day it let the smoke out. She was invited to pursue other opportunities in living arrangements not too much longer after that.

Imagine having that happen to a Dumble, or Petrucci's Mark II.

These measurements, fortunately, can be done non-invasively.

And damn... it sounds good...

Measuring the "Mr Z MZ-38" and got side-tracked playing for about 1/2 hour. And that's not usually an amp I would gravitate to. It's certainly not an "everything at noon" amp. You need to dial it in but it's pretty cool once you do in a nasty, dirty way.

Back
Top Bottom