Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Public Beta #2

I have five different 3 Sigma packs but all of them sound very hyped in the low and high end to me. I couldn't figure out Ownhammer until I read the documentation ten times and finally worked out of the quick mix folder. That is essential IMO.

What were you using before?

I've switched over almost exclusively to Ownhammer stuff (typically 121 and 57/121 mixes) for continuity of sound and have been happy, but I'm on AX8 so no beta for me.
I was mostly using ML Bulb Zilla. To be fair, I wasn't using the G12M, which might be a little more mid-centric, which is what I needed. Like someone already said, the new OH has the right kind of mids. I'm playing on a worship team though. Someone in a metal band might do well with a bit more scoop and bright high end.

I have five different 3 Sigma packs but all of them sound very hyped in the low and high end to me. I couldn't figure out Ownhammer until I read the documentation ten times and finally worked out of the quick mix folder. That is essential IMO.

FWIW, I only ever work out of the mixes folder with Ownhammer Cab Packs. I have tried others and there is just too much work involved to me to get it sounding the way I want(i.e, using Cab Lab to mix it just right). Those Mixes folders are where its at and usually the OH1-0 mix is the one I go for EVERY time.

Axe-Fx II Quantum Firmware Release Notes

Improved phase inverter modeling in Amp block. This provides thicker power amp distortion. New algorithm also includes bias shifting which results in more harmonic spectrum variation with input amplitude. This improves feel, “knock” and creates sweeter single note soloing. The new “PI Bias Shift” parameter controls the amount of phase inverter bias shift. Note that some real amps are “spitty” in nature due to PI bias shifting, i.e. Trainwrecks, and the new algorithm is designed to replicate that behavior accurately. If you find the behavior undesirable reduce the PI Bias Shift value as desired although this will reduce authenticity.

Improved output transformer modeling. This results in tighter, less boomy and smoother bass when the virtual power amp is driven hard. Note that this change may be significant and initially alarming with certain amp models. While the new algorithms are much more accurate they may be disconcerting to those who are accustomed to the old algorithms. In these cases the user may want to decrease the Transformer Drive and/or Low Res parameters in the amp block at the expense of accuracy. It is recommended instead, however, to readjust other parameters in the preset (i.e. Drive, BMT, etc.) which will achieve more authentic results.

Improved Amp block cathode follower modeling (again). This results in tighter bass and “chunkier” tones. As a result nearly all amp models that use cathode followers have been reworked with updated parameters. It is recommended that the model be reloaded by deselecting and reselecting the desired model which will load the pertinent default values. Models that have benefited the most from this include:
- Bogfish
- Brit 800
- CA3+
- Cameron CCV
- Corncob
- Dizzy V4 Blue
- Dizzy V4 Silver
- Herbie
- Recto1 and Recto2
- Solo 88, 99 and 100

Added “Dirty Shirley 2” amp model based on an earlier version of this amp with some different component values. This model is a little more aggressive than the regular model.

Changed “Bludojai Clean” amp model so that “Pre-Amp Bypass” is off (Pre-Amp Bypass actually bypasses the tone stack and increases the gain so it should be more correctly referred to as “Tone Stack Bypass”).

Changed “Brit 800 Mod” amp model. Now based on a “Santiago #34”.

Changed taper of Overdrive control in “USA Lead” amp models so that control is not so abrupt.

Replaced factory cab #62 with new “4x12 Greenback (LM)” from the “Larry Mitchell: Accurate” session.

Fixed mistakes in “Euro” amp models.

Fixed mistakes in “Cameron” amp models.

Fixed several mistakes in “Shiver” amp models.

Fixed mistakes in “Hot Kitty” amp model.

Fixed wrong transformer match value in “Citrus Terrier” model.

Fixed “Ruby Rocket” and “Ruby Rocket Brt” model names swapped. The amp’s bright switch is logically backwards (bright on is switch down).

Fixed input gain slightly too high in “Solo 88 Cln” model.

Fixed can’t cancel controller “Learn Mode” in I/O->CTRL menu.

Fixed Custom Shift menu error in Pitch block.

NOTE: This firmware has significant changes to the core algorithms. While every attempt has been made to ensure compatibility with existing presets it is recommended that the amp block be reset by deselecting and reselecting the desired amp model to load the new default values and the preset then auditioned and readjusted as necessary.
Question: so I have had my AxeFx 2XL+ that I got on 1/31, a month ago, would I need to install this FW update? I've read they all ship with up to date FW. Also does this require an update to axe edit?

Really no such thing as up -to date FW around here, when Cliff is on a roll , things are always improving/changing
..7.0 is still beta, but the majority seems to feel that its is well worth the update. The axe edit update will always be released concurrent or shortly after the non-beta is out. use Fractal-bot to update FW.
Question: so I have had my AxeFx 2XL+ that I got on 1/31, a month ago, would I need to install this FW update? I've read they all ship with up to date FW. Also does this require an update to axe edit?

This firmware (7.0) is still being cooked. To take advantage of it, you will need to update. Some people love testing the beta versions,some people wait for the official release. Some are happy, or scared, and never update. It's a simple process - download the firmware file to your computer hard drive, then use fractal bot to send it to the Axe fx, follow the on-screen instructions for reboot. That's it. Then all the miracles of the latest algorithms will be at your fingertips.

Cool thanks!! One thing that does worry me is the fact that I'd want to jam then realize my presets sound different. I understand that it's usually if not always, for the better I just don't want bites taken out of my hard work that I invest into the tones and patches I create, then having to do more tweaking

Well, it's more likely that you will keep learning, pick up a new trick or two everytime you read the manual or forum. You will probably tweak continually until you figure out what works for you - so far for me, a little over a year in, I have suffered no setbacks from a firmware update. In fact, they always seem to improve (to me at least) - YMMV.

FWIW, I only ever work out of the mixes folder with Ownhammer Cab Packs. I have tried others and there is just too much work involved to me to get it sounding the way I want(i.e, using Cab Lab to mix it just right). Those Mixes folders are where its at and usually the OH1-0 mix is the one I go for EVERY time.

Yeah, Ownhammer cabs seems to sound more open and in-your-face. Not sure why that is. There are some other great cabs that others make but seems harder for me to instantly match up with an amp.

When I first got the AX8 I thought the patches were really dark and would crank the treble/presence and goose the amp EQ up in the 4k/8k region. Part of this was coming from the Helix which is much brighter. When I started using more of the Ownhammer IR's, I didn't have to crank up the EQ anymore. It's a very natural sound which is neither dark nor bright. Great stuff.

Yeah, Ownhammer cabs seems to sound more open and in-your-face. Not sure why that is. There are some other great cabs that others make but seems harder for me to instantly match up with an amp.
Same for me.. I like what Kevin does and it seems to fit what my ears want to hear more often.

Cool thanks!! One thing that does worry me is the fact that I'd want to jam then realize my presets sound different. I understand that it's usually if not always, for the better I just don't want bites taken out of my hard work that I invest into the tones and patches I create, then having to do more tweaking

if you make a backup of everything you can always return to the same. Either a full backup or have all your banks or individual presets as backup.

With axe edit you can easily backup individual presets and with fractalbot you can make full backup or per bank. With every fw update this is always recommended, but i keep forgetting it myself with regrets sometimes as i have overwritten my settings and saved them and lost the tone i worked on ;)

But as you have Xl+ you can even load up latest fw and decide per preset which version you wanna load, although im not sure with the 7.0 beta as i own a xl mkii and lost this ability lately.

Also you can do X/Y settings and keep a copy of your settings in one of them as a reference tone.

Flexibility is your friend with the Axe FX ;)
And loads of fun with all the different items you can not perform without swapping hw or mods or hot tin.

So have fun, freak around, learn, tweak and backup is your friend.

Not my best playing, far from that, and I never worked with that backing track before, I just wanted to test a fat drive into clean amp type of tone for Gilmour leads... Can't wait for Quantum 7 :)

Lovely tone Thibault, I've been searching for what I call a 'clean lead tone' for ages and that really nails it. Are you planning on updating any of your preset packs anytime soon? If so it would be lovely if this was included!

Not my best playing, far from that, and I never worked with that backing track before, I just wanted to test a fat drive into clean amp type of tone for Gilmour leads... Can't wait for Quantum 7 :)

I love that tone. Just an off topic question, as I'm not really floating tremolo person. I'm hearing a warble when you release the tremolo arm. Is that really there, or just an artifact of the recording? Is it normal, desirable or just part of the character of the floating tremolo?

I'm hearing a warble when you release the tremolo arm. Is that really there, or just an artifact of the recording? Is it normal, desirable or just part of the character of the floating tremolo?

It's just a well known trick: hit the wammy arm and let the tremolo's springs do the job! ;-)

I don't know why but I keep feeling like a release is very near. If Cliff hadn't said anything, i wouldn't even be thinking about it. 7 Beta 2 is playing just great.

Back
Top Bottom