Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Public Beta #2

Sorry, going to be a while longer. I had been working on some new measurement techniques and yesterday I stumbled onto something. As a result I ended up changing some of the algorithms but now I have to remeasure a bunch of amps again.

Having to re-measure each of these amps at the very least periodically, is a ton of work. Do you ever think "Damn, not again!" ?

I wonder if he has some sort of automated testing rig? I was just reading an article about Adrian Belew's home studio, he said he's kept every pedal he's ever loved, and he's got over 100 of them now, in a closet, wired with a patch bay, that they are ALL connected to. So he can go back to this closet when he's working on stuff and just activate whatever pedal he wants, and it's already routed. Maybe Cliff's done something similar with all his amps?

I wonder if he has some sort of automated testing rig? I was just reading an article about Adrian Belew's home studio, he said he's kept every pedal he's ever loved, and he's got over 100 of them now, in a closet, wired with a patch bay, that they are ALL connected to. So he can go back to this closet when he's working on stuff and just activate whatever pedal he wants, and it's already routed. Maybe Cliff's done something similar with all his amps?

...or maybe PTP measurements written down somewhere, so that while new developments may require new math, at least they wouldn't require physically getting into the amps.

No hurry, Cliff. I know already it'll be worth the wait!

...or maybe PTP measurements written down somewhere, so that while new developments may require new math, at least they wouldn't require physically getting into the amps.

I'm thinking he takes each amp into a small room one at a time and does a Vulcan mind meld with each one for an hour or so.

Adrian, how do you see to adjust those in that dark and dank closet? You're going to go blind and get a mold infection on top of it! Bring all them pedals out over here to my house and lets build you a walk-in pedal board in the shape of the Death Star. (That must be a treasure trove of rarities. I saw him on the Discipline Tour, at an outdoor place in Maryland - Can't remember who they played with - Could have been Jon Anderson - Adrian had a whole section of the show devoted to amp feedback which was great fun! )

Last edited:

Good point. I'm sure he has a lot of specs/details logged. But in this case I remember him posting a few days ago (?) that it may be a bit longer on the firmware as some of the amps needed to be serviced (something along those lines).

I like Quantum!
a11dbafffe9f.jpg

Sorry, going to be a while longer. I had been working on some new measurement techniques and yesterday I stumbled onto something. As a result I ended up changing some of the algorithms but now I have to remeasure a bunch of amps again.
I stumble sometimes when I've had to much Quantum...in my algorithms..........(burp)..where was I?

oh...Can't wait for it!.....

Last edited:
I enjoy reading digital guitar stuff, but could you please post just one more hot photo, while we wait on Quantum!
That should be part of the firmware update process. Here, enjoy these pictures of beautiful women while you wait for the release.

I updated to Q7b2 from Q3.03 last night. I thought for sure I'd see a Q8 release today. Happy to see I'll be with Q7b2 for at least a little while.

To be honest, I usually don't notice much about firmware changes. I usually load it and think "yeah, sounds good. Let's roll with this". After loading Q7b2 I noticed a few things immediately. Mid gain amps like the DC-30 and Z-38 sound 'rounder' and more open... less 'squashy' and compressed. Higher gain amps like the Freidman HBE now have a singing clarity to it without sounding 'gainy'. I'll compare it to Frampton's lead tone on Frampton Comes Alive. His solos almost sound clean, but they sing and sustain instead of being plinky. I've always wanted to get a lead tone like that.

Back
Top Bottom