Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Public Beta #2

Hi guys, firstly I'd like to thank the regular posters who have so much patience answering the same questions over again, it's really appreciated.

I do, however, have a question which may require even more of your patience but would help clear something up, hopefully for good. So, here goes,

I have an XL.

I have about 60 third party presets that I'm totally happy with and don't really want to have to mess about with until I'm more confident about the deep editing side of things.

Naturally, I'm curious to find out what Q7 sounds like. If I copy and paste my 60 presets to another bank, then update to the new firmware, does everything sound the same as before (6.01) because I haven't reset any amp blocks yet??

Would this approach now allow me to experiment with my copied presets by updating and resetting amp blocks to the new firmware amps but still have my original 60 presets the same as before (6.01).

What changes, if any, are made to the presets on the XL as soon as you update to Q7, and what changes are required by me??
Is there any kind soul who has the time and patience one more time??
I promise never to ask this again :):)
Short answer: No. Resetting the amp block just resets it to default parameters. Separate the parameter settings from the firmware 'sitting behind it', in your mind. The parameters are like overlays on the firmware. When the firmware is changed, even though your parameters are the same, the firmware they are controlling is now - uhm - different. So leaving parameters of a preset the same (with some deviated from their defaults), or any amount of intense tweaking of them, can neither one be guaranteed to give you the same sound the preset had with a prior firmware.

Algorithms and code can be modified when firmware update is released (and not every firmware changes the software of every block, some change the amp block, some change fx blocks, some add amps, some add fx. The changes are summarized in the release notes. If you go back through some release notes you can get the idea - so this is the kind of thing that you can be aware of with each Firmware - read the release notes. Then if you are onboard to try a new Firmware, first backup your unit's settings and presets. And keep copies of the Firmware files. It takes about 5 minutes, with Fractal Bot, to do an update. And maybe another 10 minutes to copy a bank. So you can go back to a Firmware if you have presets that sound good in it.

An idea (If this is wrong someone please correct me) is to leave one bank with files that have settings congenial with an earlier Firmware, while another bank is the one you make updates to, to better suit the newer firmware. Lets say that you keep your original presets in bank B and back that up. Then load those same presets into bank A. Then in 5 minutes time you can be playing with either of the two most recent firmwares.

Again, if that didn't make sense, sorry, but its way late at night here.

But to me this means it just takes 5 minutes to travel back and forth. To do it that fast, you need to dedicate a bank to the earlier firmware, because on my computer anyway, backing up and loading banks takes a little longer.

And with all the updating of Firmwares I've never had any errors in over 5 years of using Fractal products, so I've learned to feel very safe about it; but just remember to always follow the instructions, never turn the unit off except when instructed (and I always have my unit connected to a battery backup), and I typically wait a little more than 5 seconds before turning my unit back on after its automatically reprogrammed. (and it will be automatically reprogrammed, and indicate that it is occurring on the unit's screen, after a Firmware is loaded each time; so don't blow a couple thousand dollars by doing anything while this is happening, except maybe checking on the baby, or inspecting your nails).

[Rex, thanks for clarifying the use of the Modeling Version feature still in XL, which I can see is useful in this regard, and even though it still seems to require those who don't use Latest to go preset by preset to update the modeling version setting when ready, I can sure see that a touring artist would love that feature so they can have the best of both worlds. And thank you Cliff for doing all that extra work to take it out of the Mark I/II and keep it in recent units (I searched for the thread when this was announced and wasn't able to find it - my answer, although I wasn't entirely clear on it, is still necessary to comprehend, e.g. because of the recent speaker overdrive functions in use presently in the amp block, which are not restored by use of earlier Modeling Versions: As in: "...NOTE: This change affects all modeling versions as the algorithm is outside the archived modeling functions. I.e. if you change the Modeling Version parameter you will NOT get the old speaker overdrive algorithm..." - but that didn't apply to the question I was answering ;)]

Last edited:
Short answer: No. Resetting the amp block just resets it to default parameters. Separate the parameter settings from the firmware 'sitting behind it', in your mind. The parameters are like overlays on the firmware. When the firmware is changed, even though your parameters are the same, the firmware they are controlling is now - uhm - different. So leaving parameters of a preset the same (with some deviated from their defaults), or any amount of intense tweaking of them, can neither one be guaranteed to give you the same sound the preset had with a prior firmware.

Algorithms and code can be modified when firmware update is released (and not every firmware changes the software of every block, some change the amp block, some change fx blocks, some add amps, some add fx. The changes are summarized in the release notes. If you go back through some release notes you can get the idea - so this is the kind of thing that you can be aware of with each Firmware - read the release notes. Then if you are onboard to try a new Firmware, first backup your unit's settings and presets. And keep copies of the Firmware files. It takes about 5 minutes, with Fractal Bot, to do an update. And maybe another 10 minutes to copy a bank. So you can go back to a Firmware if you have presets that sound good in it.

An idea (If this is wrong someone please correct me) is to leave one bank with files that have settings congenial with an earlier Firmware, while another bank is the one you make updates to, to better suit the newer firmware. Lets say that you keep your original presets in bank B and back that up. Then load those same presets into bank A. Then in 5 minutes time you can be playing with either of the two most recent firmwares.

Again, if that didn't make sense, sorry, but its way late at night here.

But to me this means it just takes 5 minutes to travel back and forth. To do it that fast, you need to dedicate a bank to the earlier firmware, because on my computer anyway, backing up and loading banks takes a little longer.

And with all the updating of Firmwares I've never had any errors in over 5 years of using Fractal products, so I've learning to feel safe about it; but just remember to always follow the instructions, never turn the unit off except when instructed (and I always have my unit connected to a battery backup, and I typically wait a little more than 5 seconds before turning my unit back on after its automatically reprogrammed. (and it will be automatically reprogrammed, and indicate that it is occurring on the unit's screen, after a Firmware is loaded each time).

That´s a pretty great post which sums it up. Should be a sticky. Or in the bible - from Jesus(saddle) himself...

If you have your Axe's Default Modeling Version set to the firmware version you want to keep, then those presets will remain unchanged when you load the new firmware—as long as the amp blocks in those presets are all set to are also set to the modeling version you want to keep.

Then, in your other copy of your presets, visit each one's Amp block, and change Modeling Version to LATEST. The reset each one's Amp block to LATEST.

You can now compare before and after shots.

Perfect, thank you.

Ok....so here's my take on 7b2.... The one thing I struggled with was the compressed cranked Marshall with a treble booster type thing.

What used to happen if it sounded good on the Atomic Reactors, or near fields and still was crap on headphones and shit stage monitors and some PAs. That's were the dealing shit out came in.
I heard some ancient recordings of mine and I figured I gotta be able to get back to that....

Started dealing. And had some weird realisations that make no sense in theory but turned out ok.
Starting point as always amp and cab only. First thing I finally changed was not using an IR of a 4x12, as much as I like them in the end I always prefer close miking 2x12s. So I started scrolling through 2x12s and they were ok. Messed with adding room sound. Then opened my IR folder and started to look at the new Celestion IRs. V20 2x12 closed back. Made a mix in cab lab of the 57 and Royer and then added the TLM103 room L+R as a stereo IR.

Now when using a lot of gain it gets ratty and/or almost wants to stop sustaining...well like an amp with the input totally overloaded. Instead of dealing stuff out I went counter productive and pushed the bottom frequencies to put a blanket if you will. That worked.
Anyways, in head phones the stuff was starting exactly where it should be. Next up before any rebate speaker...a little USB iPad speaker...worked.
Into a loop return of amp...great, shit stage monitors great.
Cool.
So here's the preset. Not sure it's of use since my idea is rather specific but maybe some one can get something out of it. I also don't know how it translated with other cab IRs since I haven't tried.

It's set up as 2 scenes...scene 2 changes the vol block used as a gate to a gate exp/block. And adds the blanket eq and an enhancer. Also the vol block doubles as a clean boost.

Delays in either scene that are extreme but heavily ducked.
both drives and the amp block are set for X/Y. Also drive 1 and amp block have the default as Y.

Have fun

Great raw preset, thanks.

First gig last night with Q 7beta 2.

The Vintageamps seemed to be more improved - clearer ton, great response on the high strings. Not so crips as in 7.01 - but very natural.

I ike the Doubleverb very much with both factory cabs in a stereocab. Also great for rhythm with a boost in front of.

the Savage 1 seemed to loose his great sound? Not so punchy, not so aggressive - seemed less cut in the bandsound.

The JTM 45 is great again !

with this new Amps it seems more difficult to get Feedbacks from the Cab or PA?

Hi Cliff,

I don't know if you saw my post asking about making your own schematics by measuring the component values and circuit paths. :)

Why don't you create a schematic and send it to cliff? I'm sure that you could buy a pedal on eBay. If you don't know how to measure the comoponents in the pedal then you could hire somebody. I bet it would only cost a few hundred dollars.

Having semi-recovered from hand surgery, I updated to Beta 2 today & played for a few minutes. The 50w Plexi was incredible! More dimension & depth and just an overall "fuller" sound. To my ears, it's a big change but really one for the better. Loving the new Dirty Shirley 2 as well. That was one of my go-to amps anyway, now there's twice the goodness. Funny how each new firmware makes you think it can't get any better than this - then it does!

Wondering if anyone has noticed any really drastic changes in their presets, especially if it doesn't require re-tweaking because of a change for the better in tone, dynamics, etc.

Having semi-recovered from hand surgery, I updated to Beta 2 today & played for a few minutes. The 50w Plexi was incredible! More dimension & depth and just an overall "fuller" sound. To my ears, it's a big change but really one for the better. Loving the new Dirty Shirley 2 as well. That was one of my go-to amps anyway, now there's twice the goodness. Funny how each new firmware makes you think it can't get any better than this - then it does!

Wondering if anyone has noticed any really drastic changes in their presets, especially if it doesn't require re-tweaking because of a change for the better in tone, dynamics, etc.

The Plexis will be even better in the release version. I found a mistake today in the way the B+ was routed into the preamp. Essentially the B+ voltage was not routed to the cathode follower stage properly so the preamp wasn't compressing nearly enough when the power supply sagged. Makes a substantial difference.

I dialed up a 50W Plexi patch using one of the new IRs that will be included and got the best tone I've ever gotten from a modeling device. Heck, maybe the best tone I've gotten from any device, real or modeled.

The Plexis will be even better in the release version. I found a mistake today in the way the B+ was routed into the preamp. Essentially the B+ voltage was not routed to the cathode follower stage properly so the preamp wasn't compressing nearly enough when the power supply sagged. Makes a substantial difference.

I dialed up a 50W Plexi patch using one of the new IRs that will be included and got the best tone I've ever gotten from a modeling device. Heck, maybe the best tone I've gotten from any device, real or modeled.

New firmware or it didn't happen.....:D

I was just jamming on a Plexi 50 patch earlier and I thought to myself "This sounds great, but if the B+ voltage is routed to the cathode follower stage properly, I'll eat my hat."

So now can we please get a bass circuit plexi? ;)

Curious, which 50W Plexi model and are you referring to the LM IR?

Edit: I've just spent 3 hours on the 50W 6550 and the new #62 IR, and with a few tweaks (including some low mid, upper bass boost), freakin wow! Always preferred the 50W Hi 2, not any more.

Last edited:
I was just jamming on a Plexi 50 patch earlier and I thought to myself "This sounds great, but if the B+ voltage is routed to the cathode follower stage properly, I'll eat my hat."

Just yesterday my neighbor & his friend, both players, were waxing poetic over the virtues of tubes. After hanging around here the past few years, I just had to smile and nod :)

The Dirty Shirley 2 is Angus/ACDC in a box!! I was jamming on a bunch of AC/DC backing tracks and the Dirty Shirley 2 is just amazing. I just can't believe I'm not standing in front of a wall of amps.

Hope your hand feels better so you can keep playing!

Back
Top Bottom