Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Public Beta #2

Soldanos are on the "most affected by beta2" list in the early posting by Cliff
In a good or bad way. I have never been a big fan of the Soldano models in the AXE FX2. I have heard the real amps before and like the way they sound.

In a good or bad way. I have never been a big fan of the Soldano models in the AXE FX2. I have heard the real amps before and like the way they sound.

Have you been cranking up the MV and leaving the input gain at modest levels? I've found that works really well. Check the Yek amp survey thread on the Soldanos, I think it talks about this.

Improved phase inverter modeling in Amp block. This provides thicker power amp distortion. New algorithm also includes bias shifting which results in more harmonic spectrum variation with input amplitude. This improves feel, “knock” and creates sweeter single note soloing. The new “PI Bias Shift” parameter controls the amount of phase inverter bias shift. Note that some real amps are “spitty” in nature due to PI bias shifting, i.e. Trainwrecks, and the new algorithm is designed to replicate that behavior accurately. If you find the behavior undesirable reduce the PI Bias Shift value as desired although this will reduce authenticity.

Improved output transformer modeling. This results in tighter, less boomy and smoother bass when the virtual power amp is driven hard. Note that this change may be significant and initially alarming with certain amp models. While the new algorithms are much more accurate they may be disconcerting to those who are accustomed to the old algorithms. In these cases the user may want to decrease the Transformer Drive and/or Low Res parameters in the amp block at the expense of accuracy. It is recommended instead, however, to readjust other parameters in the preset (i.e. Drive, BMT, etc.) which will achieve more authentic results.

Improved Amp block cathode follower modeling (again). This results in tighter bass and “chunkier” tones. As a result nearly all amp models that use cathode followers have been reworked with updated parameters. It is recommended that the model be reloaded by deselecting and reselecting the desired model which will load the pertinent default values. Models that have benefited the most from this include:
- Bogfish
- Brit 800
- CA3+
- Cameron CCV
- Corncob
- Dizzy V4 Blue
- Dizzy V4 Silver
- Herbie
- Recto1 and Recto2
- Solo 88, 99 and 100

Added “Dirty Shirley 2” amp model based on an earlier version of this amp with some different component values. This model is a little more aggressive than the regular model.

Changed “Bludojai Clean” amp model so that “Pre-Amp Bypass” is off (Pre-Amp Bypass actually bypasses the tone stack and increases the gain so it should be more correctly referred to as “Tone Stack Bypass”).

Changed “Brit 800 Mod” amp model. Now based on a “Santiago #34”.

Changed taper of Overdrive control in “USA Lead” amp models so that control is not so abrupt.

Replaced factory cab #62 with new “4x12 Greenback (LM)” from the “Larry Mitchell: Accurate” session.

Fixed mistakes in “Euro” amp models.

Fixed mistakes in “Cameron” amp models.

Fixed several mistakes in “Shiver” amp models.

Fixed mistakes in “Hot Kitty” amp model.

Fixed wrong transformer match value in “Citrus Terrier” model.

Fixed “Ruby Rocket” and “Ruby Rocket Brt” model names swapped. The amp’s bright switch is logically backwards (bright on is switch down).

Fixed input gain slightly too high in “Solo 88 Cln” model.

Fixed can’t cancel controller “Learn Mode” in I/O->CTRL menu.

Fixed Custom Shift menu error in Pitch block.

NOTE: This firmware has significant changes to the core algorithms. While every attempt has been made to ensure compatibility with existing presets it is recommended that the amp block be reset by deselecting and reselecting the desired amp model to load the new default values and the preset then auditioned and readjusted as necessary.

Improved phase inverter modeling in Amp block. This provides thicker power amp distortion. New algorithm also includes bias shifting which results in more harmonic spectrum variation with input amplitude. This improves feel, “knock” and creates sweeter single note soloing. The new “PI Bias Shift” parameter controls the amount of phase inverter bias shift. Note that some real amps are “spitty” in nature due to PI bias shifting, i.e. Trainwrecks, and the new algorithm is designed to replicate that behavior accurately. If you find the behavior undesirable reduce the PI Bias Shift value as desired although this will reduce authenticity.

Improved output transformer modeling. This results in tighter, less boomy and smoother bass when the virtual power amp is driven hard. Note that this change may be significant and initially alarming with certain amp models. While the new algorithms are much more accurate they may be disconcerting to those who are accustomed to the old algorithms. In these cases the user may want to decrease the Transformer Drive and/or Low Res parameters in the amp block at the expense of accuracy. It is recommended instead, however, to readjust other parameters in the preset (i.e. Drive, BMT, etc.) which will achieve more authentic results.

Improved Amp block cathode follower modeling (again). This results in tighter bass and “chunkier” tones. As a result nearly all amp models that use cathode followers have been reworked with updated parameters. It is recommended that the model be reloaded by deselecting and reselecting the desired model which will load the pertinent default values. Models that have benefited the most from this include:
- Bogfish
- Brit 800
- CA3+
- Cameron CCV
- Corncob
- Dizzy V4 Blue
- Dizzy V4 Silver
- Herbie
- Recto1 and Recto2
- Solo 88, 99 and 100

Added “Dirty Shirley 2” amp model based on an earlier version of this amp with some different component values. This model is a little more aggressive than the regular model.

Changed “Bludojai Clean” amp model so that “Pre-Amp Bypass” is off (Pre-Amp Bypass actually bypasses the tone stack and increases the gain so it should be more correctly referred to as “Tone Stack Bypass”).

Changed “Brit 800 Mod” amp model. Now based on a “Santiago #34”.

Changed taper of Overdrive control in “USA Lead” amp models so that control is not so abrupt.

Replaced factory cab #62 with new “4x12 Greenback (LM)” from the “Larry Mitchell: Accurate” session.

Fixed mistakes in “Euro” amp models.

Fixed mistakes in “Cameron” amp models.

Fixed several mistakes in “Shiver” amp models.

Fixed mistakes in “Hot Kitty” amp model.

Fixed wrong transformer match value in “Citrus Terrier” model.

Fixed “Ruby Rocket” and “Ruby Rocket Brt” model names swapped. The amp’s bright switch is logically backwards (bright on is switch down).

Fixed input gain slightly too high in “Solo 88 Cln” model.

Fixed can’t cancel controller “Learn Mode” in I/O->CTRL menu.

Fixed Custom Shift menu error in Pitch block.

NOTE: This firmware has significant changes to the core algorithms. While every attempt has been made to ensure compatibility with existing presets it is recommended that the amp block be reset by deselecting and reselecting the desired amp model to load the new default values and the preset then auditioned and readjusted as necessary.

Why did you post this?

@FractalAudio,

Cliff, forgive me for asking.but if you have the actual product in front of you, there's only a finite number of components to a pedal (amps obviously have hundreds/thousands). Can you not draw your own schematic and measure the component values for an accurate representation? Surely, a man of your genius could do it?

Please forgive my ignorance in advance.

PS. I would kill to have my old Frantone "The Sweet" pedal added to the drive pedals. I love the hot and whiny tone that I used to get out of mine.

I don't know how accurate this schematic is.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uPeZuXcbR...AGhY/6MY4Ai4t-IQ/s1600/Frantone+The+Sweet.png

Hi Cliff,

I don't know if you saw my post asking about making your own schematics by measuring the component values and circuit paths. :)

USA Clean, Rhythm, and Lead models are based on the Mk IV...

Yeah, you're probably right. Thats about all that makes any sense. I saw some of the other members comments immediately after Cliff's post, which to me sounded like a new one was in there. Oh well, all is sounding great so no biggy. Sorry to drag folks down an incorrect path.

Lee

other than the Archon I am dying to see what you guys are loving in the beta

As an Ax8 users I grabbed a couple of Celestion Ir cabs this afternoon and man it sounds good with current
Hard to imagine but this updates seems to benefit the amps I use most like SLO , Recto, Diezels

Ok....so here's my take on 7b2.... The one thing I struggled with was the compressed cranked Marshall with a treble booster type thing.

What used to happen if it sounded good on the Atomic Reactors, or near fields and still was crap on headphones and shit stage monitors and some PAs. That's were the dealing shit out came in.
I heard some ancient recordings of mine and I figured I gotta be able to get back to that....

Started dealing. And had some weird realisations that make no sense in theory but turned out ok.
Starting point as always amp and cab only. First thing I finally changed was not using an IR of a 4x12, as much as I like them in the end I always prefer close miking 2x12s. So I started scrolling through 2x12s and they were ok. Messed with adding room sound. Then opened my IR folder and started to look at the new Celestion IRs. V20 2x12 closed back. Made a mix in cab lab of the 57 and Royer and then added the TLM103 room L+R as a stereo IR.

Now when using a lot of gain it gets ratty and/or almost wants to stop sustaining...well like an amp with the input totally overloaded. Instead of dealing stuff out I went counter productive and pushed the bottom frequencies to put a blanket if you will. That worked.
Anyways, in head phones the stuff was starting exactly where it should be. Next up before any rebate speaker...a little USB iPad speaker...worked.
Into a loop return of amp...great, shit stage monitors great.
Cool.
So here's the preset. Not sure it's of use since my idea is rather specific but maybe some one can get something out of it. I also don't know how it translated with other cab IRs since I haven't tried.

It's set up as 2 scenes...scene 2 changes the vol block used as a gate to a gate exp/block. And adds the blanket eq and an enhancer. Also the vol block doubles as a clean boost.

Delays in either scene that are extreme but heavily ducked.
both drives and the amp block are set for X/Y. Also drive 1 and amp block have the default as Y.

Have fun

Attachments

• Comp'd Gain.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Hi guys, firstly I'd like to thank the regular posters who have so much patience answering the same questions over again, it's really appreciated.

I do, however, have a question which may require even more of your patience but would help clear something up, hopefully for good. So, here goes,

I have an XL.

I have about 60 third party presets that I'm totally happy with and don't really want to have to mess about with until I'm more confident about the deep editing side of things.

Naturally, I'm curious to find out what Q7 sounds like. If I copy and paste my 60 presets to another bank, then update to the new firmware, does everything sound the same as before (6.01) because I haven't reset any amp blocks yet??

Would this approach now allow me to experiment with my copied presets by updating and resetting amp blocks to the new firmware amps but still have my original 60 presets the same as before (6.01).

What changes, if any, are made to the presets on the XL as soon as you update to Q7, and what changes are required by me??
Is there any kind soul who has the time and patience one more time??
I promise never to ask this again :):)

If you have your Axe's Default Modeling Version set to the firmware version you want to keep, then those presets will remain unchanged when you load the new firmware—as long as the amp blocks in those presets are all set to are also set to the modeling version you want to keep.

Then, in your other copy of your presets, visit each one's Amp block, and change Modeling Version to LATEST. The reset each one's Amp block to LATEST.

You can now compare before and after shots.

Back
Top Bottom