Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Public Beta #2

Ah, now we're talkin'
(Although I haven't checked it out yet...)
I would like this too as right now, I save the tweaked preset and save the original right next to it for easy A/B comparison. I suppose I could use X,Y. That might be easier.

If you are very worried about loosing your advanced parameters, then use Axe Edit to export your patch as a CSV file as a backup of the settings. I do this whenever I feel like I have nailed a preset at 100% of my satisfaction; then I know that if I have moved off the target sound after a few FW updates that I can always go back to the CSV and double check what settings I had when I was really happy with it.

FWIW I do reset the amp whenever I do a FW update, however the advanced parameters I use are ones that I can easily reapply so its not a not of effort for me to do.

Inevitably after reapplying my advanced settings I get the best of my original preset and also the benefit of the new FW settings so it's a win/win.

This Save as CSV command is actually pretty cool--one I hadn't used before. Especially if you are someone who 'makes notes of' (I assume this means writes down) your settings. Either that or the screenshot option.

I still like having the old block saved as AMP2 so I can A/B old and new sound wise (but then I almost never use a 2nd amp block in a preset). However, you can't just go back and forth comparing pages visually--you have to re open any page that is not the BASIC page when you switch blocks. A screenshot seems like it makes the most sense as you can keep open all the time and visually compare.

I'm sorry, but I did not have the patience to sort through the FracPad video with that distracting, too-hot-prog-metal audio bed to find the function that applies here. :fearscream: Anyone have a time reference?

Well... I wasn't trying to start a debate or incite confusion. Just had a thought and posted it. I have a work flow that I use, which is re entering all my numbers of every parameter I've adjusted, after resetting the amp block, and then proceeding to dial in from there because doing this sounds completely different and always better than loading a block save of the same settings (or not resetting the block) and I've experienced this behaviour since pre quantum FW 13.

I'm not complaining, either, just thinking that it would be nice if there was a quicker way to do this as I'm pushing a lot of unique presets after 4 years of daily time spent with this piece of gear.

Anyways, excited for Q7, hope it comes soon :)

Hi all

Just spent a very 90 mina or so with FW 7 B2 compared to FW6.

Very briefly:-

- loaded FW7b2
- took a pic [Im old school :)] of my amp settings
- de-loaded then re-loaded the same amp -and- did Cntrl + I just to be sure
- manually re-entered my amp settings
- Set up " X " at FW 6
- Set Up " Y " as FW Latest.

Only tested 4 amps - I used my Atomic High, Dirty Shirly [not the new one], Angle Severe and Hipower Brilliant presets - I dont know to what extent these amps are / are not impacted by the FW7b2 changes ....anyway, regardless, here goes

Initial comments / thoughts

- I had to re-do my preset-to-preset volume settings - FW 7b2 was a lot quieter than FW6 - no biggie at all, just saying

- bottom-end-tightness was -noticably- better in FW 7b2 compared to FW 6 .... especially in the Dirtly Shirly

- in FW 7b2 compared to FW6 .... the 4 amps I tried had a much "chimier" top end but were lacking [some] mid-range-body / oomph [techncial term :)]

As I ususlly do, I pulled up a couple of my regular play-along backing tracks Ive got for testing patches etc.... ..... only drums, bass and rhythm guitar and realtive to FW6, the current FW7b2 seemed to get a bit "lost" ..... I put a GEQ VST in its track and boosted the mids back in and that helped a lot, but still not quite as "there" as FW6.

Re-did the same with FW 6 and it felt just right in the pocket relative to the other tracks.

Interestingly, FW7b2 sounded "nicer" and more "satisfying" when I was just playing it by itself and tweaking the sounds, but FW6 sat with the other backing tracks more firmly and "distinclty".

Thats all - jsut my 2c - I have gone back to FW6 for coming shows and will re-visit / re-try this when its final.

Be interested if others are "hearing" what Im hearing.

Ben

Last edited:
From my perspective, any firmware change that make significant improvements to the amp blocks is going to make any prior tweaking to the advanced amp block settings suspect. So, for me, I prefer to set all that stuff back to default and then see how the amp block sounds as Cliff designed it. Then tweak just enough to get the sound and feel the way that I want it.

Sure, it's possible that I had some epiphany about tweaking months ago when I was setting up a particular patch, and I've long since forgotten the details, but it's just as likely that some adjustment to a bias setting is no longer required as Cliff has changed something fundamental about the way the model works.

...I prefer to set all that stuff back to default and then see how the amp block sounds as Cliff designed it. Then tweak just enough to get the sound and feel the way that I want it.

Sure, it's possible that I had some epiphany about tweaking months ago when I was setting up a particular patch, and I've long since forgotten the details, but it's just as likely that some adjustment to a bias setting is no longer required as Cliff has changed something fundamental about the way the model works.
This is why it's helpful to reset the Amp block when the release notes suggest doing that. Some of the tweaks you made in previous firmware versions is likely to be irrelevant in the new version. Just blindly copying your old settings might not be ideal.

From my perspective, any firmware change that make significant improvements to the amp blocks is going to make any prior tweaking to the advanced amp block settings suspect. So, for me, I prefer to set all that stuff back to default and then see how the amp block sounds as Cliff designed it. Then tweak just enough to get the sound and feel the way that I want it.

Yeah, I certainly get where you are coming from ..... and I do take your point ... but it then becomes very difficult / impossible to properly and meaningfully compare changes - good or bad - from FW to firmware.

I not talking about, say, moving from FW 10 2 years ago to FW 7b2 .... only going from FW6 to FW7b2.

Re-building patchs / sounds from scratch from FW to FW is incredibly tedious, draining and time consuming ... and no fun at all once youve done it once or twice :(

Sure, the golden rule is if it sounds better to my ears it is better to my ears ... but ..... if Im not A/B'ing FW-to-immedialty-previous-FW I have no idea if (a) things are actually getting soncially better / "realer" for me or (b) I am just tweaking and ending up with numerous endless versions of "good".

Simple example.

I could load up Q FW 2.x ..... load and tweak up a great Fender .... you could hear it today and thinks is great.

In two days time I could load up Q FW 4.x ..... load and tweak up the same Fender ....you could hear it and [again] think its great.

Problem ?

How would you know if its "better" for you unless you can easily and direclty compare / A/B them ..... its impossible .... you could record them, but thats not helpful when you are talking live / playing / feel / amp in the room vibe etc.....

Anyway ... Im rambling.

Happy to stick with FW 6 for now and re-try FW 7 when its done.

If I like it more, I'll use it ... if not I'll stick with FW 6 untill FW 8, 9, 10 etc...... comes out :)

Ben

When you reselect an amp the MV, Presence, Depth (and many advanced parameters) are reset to default values. Make note of what they were before and then reset them to those values after reselecting the amp.
I saw many seriously changed advanced parameters, but I doubt - if i will return them to the old position, will the new Q7 sound of amp remains?

Yeah, I certainly get where you are coming from ..... and I do take your point ... but it then becomes very difficult / impossible to properly and meaningfully compare changes - good or bad - from FW to firmware.
I get what you're saying. But even if you return your advanced params to where you set them on the earlier firmware, that won't necessarily let you accurately compare old to new.

Let's say you set Preamp CF Compression to 15%, because that's where it sounded best to you. Then a new firmware version comes along that completely changes cathode follower (CF) behavior (that never happens, right? :)). Now your 15% setting will sound different, and your ears might lead you to set it at 5% or 45% instead.

If you really want to accurately compare new FW to old, you need to compare the new firmware with the new amp defaults to the old firmware with the old amp defaults. If you have the luxury of having two Axes, one running the old firmware and one running the new firmware, you can compare them side by side, and you'll really hear and feel the differences.

Just installed beta 2. When I reselect the amp, it getting worse - less bass, less highs, less volume, almost for all my presets. Am I the only one with this problem?

It might depend on a couple of things. What if you have added more treble , bass and volume to all your amp settings. Then I guess this could happen.

I only use two amps for my band, and am still a little noob with advance parameters, so I live rather well every fw update :)

There are some parameters in the amp block where you can say for sure that they are mainly related to your personal taste or are related to compensate for other EQing outside of the amp block or outside like the IRs and so on.
Then there are some parameters that are set to 0 or 1 by default, when you have a different values there it's always because of personal taste.

The EQ section is for personal taste and other EQings?
The speaker page is related to your IR and taste or the cab you use?
The input parameter is related to the output of your guitar? Maybe bright cap value as well?
Dynamics, definition and alike are set to personal values?

When it's clear that some settings are related to personal taste or other blocks or gear and it's clear that they don't depend on the modeling version.....you get the point...then it should be possible to keep their settings through resets. At least a function in AE that allows the user to reapply some values from earlier presets should be available.
That would make FW updates more fun and less tedious work.

...If you really want to accurately compare new FW to old, you need to compare the new firmware with the new amp defaults to the old firmware with the old amp defaults. If you have the luxury of having two Axes, one running the old firmware and one running the new firmware, you can compare them side by side, and you'll really hear and feel the differences.

I hadn't thought of doing that, but I might actually try it for fun.

I use about 40 - 45 presets, and they incorporate a variety of amps. On a lot of them, I couldn't even tell you what amp I'm using without looking at Axe-Edit. When I create a preset, I just browse through amps and cabs and try to put together something that seems fitting. (Tweed combo, Marshall type, clean, etc.) I pay more attention to the tone than the name of the amp model. I only play live - no recording - so I've never obsessed about dialing things in perfectly. In a live situation, I'm pretty sure I won't hear the difference between having the cathode follower at 3 or having it it 3.25, so I never do much in the way of deep parameter tweaking. I kind of like re-doing my presets from scratch when major FW drops anyway because it gives me a chance to try different amps and incorporate new ideas that I pick up here on the forum.

That said, I'm still holding out for the final release, since I'd rather not go through all the presets for the beta then have to do it again for the final. Plus, I'm still recovering from a broken left elbow, and nerve and tendon issues my hand caused by the surgery make it a literal pain to play much guitar right now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom