Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Public Beta #2

Hello cliff, would you be able to enlighten us a little bit of what's the Santiago #34 all about and how it differs from the AFS 1?

Many thanks!!!

Not saying I don't like the brit 800 mod in q7b. In fact it's awesome for some things. But I prefer that model in q6. It was awesome for getting more aggressive than the plexi without getting into recto territory.

I'd love to see them both in the FW. Just curious if anyone else cares.

I had the same problem, then I noticed the speaker size was set to minimum value on ALOT of the presets.
Maybe that needed a reset in someway, but I litterally didn't do anything that wasn't turning it off and then on again.
Glad it wasn't something bad

Not saying I don't like the brit 800 mod in q7b. In fact it's awesome for some things. But I prefer that model in q6. It was awesome for getting more aggressive than the plexi without getting into recto territory.

I'd love to see them both in the FW. Just curious if anyone else cares.

Not sure if it's possible but can't you just select version q6 in the advanced menu rather than latest? I'm not sure if it's still possible. I really dig the new one so doesn't really effect me but it might be worth a shot. You can also crank the treble and presence much more in this firmware without any harshness.

Not sure if it's possible but can't you just select version q6 in the advanced menu rather than latest? I'm not sure if it's still possible. I really dig the new one so doesn't really effect me but it might be worth a shot. You can also crank the treble and presence much more in this firmware without any harshness.
But shouldn't this new Brit 800 mod actually be a redone AFS100 1 model (which is based on a JCM 800 w/#34 mod). I'm confused between these 2 models

Other cases have been documented whereby a Firmware update must be done a 2nd time, to clear up glitches. Placebo or otherwise, it can't hurt to spend a minute of your time to re-install the firmware for a 2nd time, and then proceed with your listening - to see if that cleared it up for you.

I tried deselecting and resetting the amp block, as well as reinstalling the firmware to no avail.

But shouldn't this new Brit 800 mod actually be a redone AFS100 1 model (which is based on a JCM 800 w/#34 mod). I'm confused between these 2 models
The AFS amp model is actually based on the Marshall Slash signature amp which has a #34 mode.
Not sure if this is Cliff's own interpretation of a JCM800 with #34 mod, as opposed to Marshall's interpretation of the #34 mod contained in the Slash signature amp.

Sorry mate, missed the mod bit, yeah I would expect that to be a remodel not just an improvement. I never really liked the old 800 mod so I can't really comment. The new one sounds good to me but then I'm a Slash fanboy :)

The AFS amp model is actually based on the Marshall Slash signature amp which has a #34 mode.
Not sure if this is Cliff's own interpretation of a JCM800 with #34 mod, as opposed to Marshall's interpretation of the #34 mod contained in the Slash signature amp.

What I'm taking from this is that;
The AFS100 model is based on a signture Slash Marshall amp (which is essentially a JCM800 with #34 mod)

The Brit 800 mod model is a JCM800 Marshall with the #34 mod

Seems redundant to me, what was the Brit 800 mod before Q7b? #34 mod?

Edit: I like Slash but not bonkers for his tone so I feel the old Brit 800 mod was a fat sounding rocker

What I'm taking from this is that;
The AFS100 model is based on a signture Slash Marshall amp (which is essentially a JCM800 with #34 mod)

The Brit 800 mod model is a JCM800 Marshall with the #34 mod

Seems redundant to me, what was the Brit 800 mod before Q7b? #34 mod?

Edit: I like Slash but not bonkers for his tone so I feel the old Brit 800 mod was a fat sounding rocker

Adding the old model back would be trivial. I will add it for the final release.

Last edited:
All I know is I'm loving the new Dirty Shirley. I loved the first one, but I'm definitely digging the slightly more aggressive v2. Cliff, you never cease to amaze me and go Pats. How bout that drive for 5 from our team? :)

All I know is I'm loving the new Dirty Shirley. I loved the first one, but I'm definitely digging the slightly more aggressive v2. Cliff, you never cease to amaze me and go Pats. How bout that drive for 5 from our team? :)

At first I didn't like it but for some genres it works. The old version (new model) has a 2.2 nF cap on the cathode follower while the newer version has 4.7 nF. The larger cap smooths out the distortion. The cathode bypass cap values are different as well which changes the midrange response.

The question is, what

Is the HOOK tested or on the to do list? What´s the improvement for the HOOK?

The Hook is still on the to-do list but I don't anticipate it will change much. That amp doesn't use a cathode follower (it uses a mu follower) so the preamp sound won't change much, if at all. It will benefit from the power amp improvements which is already present in the beta.

Schematic and an example to match to
Yes, and a lot of schematics floating around on the net are inaccurate, so I think the idea it needs a verified or presumed correct schematic. Edit: Lol :D Cliff beat me to the punch. Typing on the iPad soft keyboard. ;)

Back
Top Bottom