Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 7.00 Firmware Release

The CA OD-2 totally floors me. It's got that quality where every note blooms.

Yup - just spent about 2 hrs redoing my Carol Ann patch (CA OD2 and a Triptik Clean) across 5 scns ... just a great amp model mainstay! True clean to mean and chewy grind on demand.

I have also noted that most presets w Q7 sound great "out of the box" with a little bit of tweaking - as you would with any amplifier. I don't need to go any deeper than I wish to get great sounds. Thank you team FAS for so much great work. The amp toans are there. :D Let's do effects and looper next!;) :)

Good Lord! Plexi 6550 is unreal. Might be my new favorite model. Thank you Cliff for making the purchase of my MKI continue to keep getting better.

@yek Thank you again for your pdf guide. With these amps getting O so close or spot on even, its super nice to reference your guide to learn a bit about the models. Reading about the CA OD2 and never knew how much input he had on his models. Cool! Anyways Q7 rocks, carry on...

DITTO...
In the words of J. Seinfeld....."They're real,and they're SPECTACULAR...."

Ha ha!!! I remember that scene in Seinfeld. I'm downloading the pack tonight, looking forward to auditioning these new greenbacks, just haven't been home to do anything, can't wait.

What Ownhammer pack are these new IR files from ???

- Cab #142 with "1x12 DLX P12R Fat"
- Cab #146 with "4x10 SUPER VERB CTS FAT"
- Cab #148 with "4x12 MAR PR-M20B FULL"
- Cab #149 with "4x12 TRAD V60 FULL"

Are these MIX ir files ?

According to the Player Pack info page on Ownhammer's website:

Fat: the same as or very similar to the OH1F-XX in the Quick Start directory
Full: the same as or very similar to the SP2-XX in the Quick Start directory

These mixes very well may be unique for FAS, but using one of the ones above should get you pretty close I'd guess.

I was skeptical about the update as I was happy with FW Q 6.03. The rev. Q 7 is amazing. I was getting a cool ghost note with one of the 5F's without a lot of gain or a lot of tweaking. I am finally digging all the models that I couldn't bond with before as they are really easy to dial in good sounds now. Thanks Fractal!

I can't believe how good the models sound now when opening a new amp up straight away. Used to have to click bright, turn the bass down a little.. maybe change the depth freq.. tweak some of the dynamics knobs, now I can't even really tell if I'm making it better or worse by doing my usual tweaks, the fresh initialized amps are just damn amazing without touching a thing. Frickin awesome. My plexi 50 watt just destroys anything in it's path now.. and the friedman patch i've been working on for weeks that just didn't have that "something" i couldn't explain.. now along with the OH 412 MAR-CB LYNCH pack and Q7, it's there in spades, and it took me about 3 minutes to have the sickest sounding friedman patch i ever done heard, the rest of my band is gonna poop their pants at next practice. i used to always get shit from them for having to tweak little things between songs, turn the bass down a tiny bit, change the tone on the tubescreamer,, I think I can finally just completely go through a whole set without touching a damn thing. 90% of the amps in here now, in my opinion sound better than the real life counterparts, if that's even possible. You rule cliff.

The CA OD-2 totally floors me. It's got that quality where every note blooms.
That's been my number one amp for a long time.
Then, after the OBOT Cab Pack Came out with the Carol Ann Cab with the Scholz Classic Sugarcone IR's, (Mixed a few IR's in CabLab) it even went to another level.
Although I will say, with these last updates, (this last one in particular) I've had limited time to really "dig in" but of the three amps that I have had time to dig into: The HRM, The Hot Kitty & The Dizzy V4 Silver 3 have all been incredibly stunning.

just a question...I've been following the "amp re-select" method detailed that you use to get an amp back to the latest defaults etc. One amusing point is that most of my modelling versions were on Q5...I didn't really see what was awesome about Q6 lol.

In any case, for the lazy and modern among us, is there a way I can just set all the factory presets to the latest and greatest modelling algorithms by e.g. loading a .syx file? I see the firmware bank presets from the firmware download page are 6.03, so would this mean the default is not 7 yet?

just a question...I've been following the "amp re-select" method detailed that you use to get an amp back to the latest defaults etc. One amusing point is that most of my modelling versions were on Q5...I didn't really see what was awesome about Q6 lol.

In any case, for the lazy and modern among us, is there a way I can just set all the factory presets to the latest and greatest modelling algorithms by e.g. loading a .syx file? I see the firmware bank presets from the firmware download page are 6.03, so would this mean the default is not 7 yet?
There's a setting in the Axe-FX (not Axe-Edit) to override all amps to "Latest"

Thank you FAS. I always come back to the plexi models because...well because. and I loved them since Q1. If any of you have played through a cranked plexi...with a mic on it... it doesn't feel like a plexi. This way I get the feel and the sound... it's pretty awesome.

There's a setting in the Axe-FX (not Axe-Edit) to override all amps to "Latest"
You have to do this also, but you mentioned the amp reselect thing. Part of some of the updates are changes in user accessible parameters--all those settings you see on the edit pages like transformer match, etc. If you don't reselect the amp model, those settings will not be changed and you may miss some important part of the update even if you select "latest." There's no single command to do this on all presets at once.

I can't believe how good the models sound now when opening a new amp up straight away. Used to have to click bright, turn the bass down a little.. maybe change the depth freq.. tweak some of the dynamics knobs, now I can't even really tell if I'm making it better or worse by doing my usual tweaks, the fresh initialized amps are just damn amazing without touching a thing. Frickin awesome. My plexi 50 watt just destroys anything in it's path now.. and the friedman patch i've been working on for weeks that just didn't have that "something" i couldn't explain.. now along with the OH 412 MAR-CB LYNCH pack and Q7, it's there in spades, and it took me about 3 minutes to have the sickest sounding friedman patch i ever done heard, the rest of my band is gonna poop their pants at next practice. i used to always get shit from them for having to tweak little things between songs, turn the bass down a tiny bit, change the tone on the tubescreamer,, I think I can finally just completely go through a whole set without touching a damn thing. 90% of the amps in here now, in my opinion sound better than the real life counterparts, if that's even possible. You rule cliff.

With this firmware I still have to turn down the bass. (and it gives my thumb and forefinger a purpose).

But sometimes that's about all.. But all the amps sound very different and I hear their character and it inspires me to use a sound I would not normally choose, because I screw around with a riff or two and I'm like, you know, this actually suits me now, right this second. I normally would not go for a Metallica sound, for instance. But something about the expressiveness of the Firmware makes it fun to try everything.

Another thing I want to say is that with some of the amps I've tried, I'm now experiencing a condition (of placebo hallucination) where "basically clean" presets (which just a touch of extra drive) can do things that I normally would rely on a "lead" preset for, e.g. note sustain and musically rich harmonic evolution. Try it. Try coming up with lead riffs using a more or less clean patch, and see how similar it is now to playing a gainier preset. Switch back and forth between fingerpicking, pick and fingers, and pick, and notice how every detail is so richly dependent on the medium, dynamics and nuances of attack. (I started practicing tucking my pick as high as possible to quickly switch to fingerpicking - not easy to do during eighths or 16th notes, but really rewarding with this firmware.

Other firmwares responded, but this seems to offer even more continual flow of character. It reminds me of playing a flute in the yard, versus in the long tunnel up at the top of the park by my house where it can sound like anything you want.

Last edited:
This update sounds / feels fantastic!

Controllable harmonic feedback / note bloom happen so effortlessly and at lower volume than before with so many amps. This may be my favorite aspect of this update.

Thanks yet again Cliff for keeping the MkI/II units updated. Very much appreciated! :)

Thanks FAS. This FW rules. My go to amp kills on demand and have taken a huge likeing to the Plexi 50 6550 and the JCM 800... I feel like I'm only scratching the surface again with the new amp choices that I've been drawn to... Also a big thanks for the new cabs and bringing OwnHammer on board!
Kevin, (as a person and his product)... a definite asset to us all.

That Hot Kitty has some other worldly dimension to it.
So rich and vibrant the way it breaks up with chords and just sings...
Super responsive & dynamics are beautiful..
Lovin' it!

What cab are you using if you don't mind sharing...It is pretty much my go to amp and I use the factory cab #60. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom