Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 6.02 Public Beta

Sounds like a damaged Speaker:D I´m not shure if i will use it for live sounds:

First with Speaker Overdrive on 0, then Speaker Overdrive is on 5 after the half of the track.

Plexi 50 W High 1
CabIR Ma CB 71 Sp B SM57 M1

G&L F100 30th Anniversary

Good example of what too much sounds like ( on 5 that is). And listening to Neil Young's "Rockin in the free world" your sample of the speaker drive on five reminds me of his sound on his track, pretty flubby.
Nice playing by the way!!!

Last edited:
I´m interested in these sounds - cause I can´t imagine to get a "better" Overdrive with the Speaker Overdrive. The Plexis got a lot of gain when they are pushed hard. Can you make a short recording to show the way you use this parameter?

I guess its what cliff has stated, a little more in the room....I think it gets a little squishy if you hit really hard in a good way with low settings. It just adds to the whole realism to me.

Gracias, tio Cliff.

You are spoiling our ears!! Now I hate the guitar tone of many of my old Guitar-Heroes. I still like their playing, but I cannot bear the "can of bees" brute tone of their non-refined amplifiers, buzzy cabs, not well positioned microphones, lack of delicatessen tweaking, etc :D

Once upon a time at the old forum, when the Axe-FX Standard was only known by word of mouth from the user’s experience (there was yet no publicity and no sponsors), 99% of the guitarists hated the modelers. Everyday we had to deal with hordes of tube-amp purists and machos of "the real thing" that came to troll at the forum.

Now the times have changed, and a new standard has been set. Today, if you want your tone to be as refined as you can get it with the Axe-FX II, you have to spend a fortune in a very good amplifier, cabs, microphones, effects, a recording console, and a room where you can play it loud.

Last edited:
I always use presets without a cab block going into CabLab when recording so I'm not able to get the benefits of using Motor Drive. With the speaker drive option being moved to the amp block, does this mean that the amp will interact more with the CabLab IRs or did I completely missread this? Is Speaker Drive the same thing as Motor Drive?

Why not send it to the scratchpad part of the cab block? I've just started doing this, works great. Put Axe-Edit and CabLab side by side and you have constant access to changing IR's.

Since Speaker Drive and Motor Drive are two different things you can use Speaker Drive without the cab block.

Good example of what too much sounds like ( on 5 that is). And listening to Neil Young's "Rockin in the free world" your sample of the speaker drive on five reminds me of his sound on his track, pretty flubby.
Nice playing by the way!!!
Ups..........I only wanted to show what happened with to much of this speaker parameter. Couldn´t imagine that theres a sound like this in the real guitar world...maybe I´m still too young :confused:. Thanks for your compliment........

I guess its what cliff has stated, a little more in the room....I think it gets a little squishy if you hit really hard in a good way with low settings. It just adds to the whole realism to me.
Ah, I confused "pushed hard" with high Mastervolume or Volume Settings at the Vintageamps - you mean "playing hard".ok.

I think its great that we can now make more authentic speaker farts. I mean you really can't get that authentic 60's psychedelia feel without the sound of a speaker that just can't keep up. I'm impressed as it is, with the stink that v6.01 is capable of. BUT: Speaker Drive doesn't have to be overdone. And thanks to all you stewards of the Axe FX for thoroughly vetting the new software, so it will be effortlessly ready-to-go when its ported to the AX8.

Last edited:
@jesussaddle
Tested last night the new Speaker Drive Parameter loud & Live in the room with fw 6.02beta and it sounds awesome. First preset is the Mr Z38, the second one is with 1959SLP Treble at about 1:08. Here I did a test with Speaker Drive on Default "0" and 4 different settings with the Speaker Drive. Last is a High Gain Dual Amp (IIC++ / Dizzy V4) Preset from Preset A Day where the Speaker Drive was set to 1.15 / 1.06.

With the SLP one can hear the sound changing with the 4 different settings.

@jesussaddle
Tested last night the new Speaker Drive Parameter loud & Live in the room with fw 6.02beta and it sounds awesome. First preset is the Mr Z38, the second one is with 1959SLP Treble at about 1:08. Here I did a test with Speaker Drive on Default "0" and 4 different settings with the Speaker Drive. Last is a High Gain Dual Amp (IIC++ / Dizzy V4) Preset from Preset A Day where the Speaker Drive was set to 1.15 / 1.06.

With the SLP one can hear the sound changing with the 4 different settings.

Sounds awesome. Have you posted any of your presets?

:) btw I got a RAC12, I've yet to install it. When I'll feel ready to go into patch programming frenzy mode, I'll connect it. I'm still recovering from an illness and don't play everyday so it will take a little while

Back
Top Bottom