Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 6.02 Public Beta

Hi there i have struggled with my sound with the Axe FX over the last few years. I have done the whole YEK preset method, i have downloaded presets from the forum as well as pay for Fremens Presets. I have had nice results to date but to be quite honest the new factory presets have been a true god send! with minimal tweaking i have found the best sounds ever. I told myself that there is no need to ever update the Axe and more. I have also been a total hound when it comes to new Firmware updates. i have always updated to the new firmwares. So for the very first time since 2012 i am a bit nervous to update. I couldnt get a firm grasp from this post as to whether or not the sound of existing presets will be changed. i really LOVE what i have going on. i know most of you are going to reply JUST DONT UPDATE... and that is fine.. i just want know from anyone out there that is in the same boat as me - someone who is loving the new factory presets... Is this new update worth it? does it involve any tweaking to maintain the existing sound?? I never used Motor Drive or any of the parameters that Cliff tweaked on this update. The Factory presets may involve some of that - but not that i am aware of... Can anyone chime in and let me know if this update is for me? i can definitely back up the unit and try it out to see if it works. I am at work now and just itching to know. Thank you!!

J

Hi there i have struggled with my sound with the Axe FX over the last few years. I have done the whole YEK preset method, i have downloaded presets from the forum as well as pay for Fremens Presets. I have had nice results to date but to be quite honest the new factory presets have been a true god send! with minimal tweaking i have found the best sounds ever. I told myself that there is no need to ever update the Axe and more. I have also been a total hound when it comes to new Firmware updates. i have always updated to the new firmwares. So for the very first time since 2012 i am a bit nervous to update. I couldnt get a firm grasp from this post as to whether or not the sound of existing presets will be changed. i really LOVE what i have going on. i know most of you are going to reply JUST DONT UPDATE... and that is fine.. i just want know from anyone out there that is in the same boat as me - someone who is loving the new factory presets... Is this new update worth it? does it involve any tweaking to maintain the existing sound?? I never used Motor Drive or any of the parameters that Cliff tweaked on this update. The Factory presets may involve some of that - but not that i am aware of... Can anyone chime in and let me know if this update is for me? i can definitely back up the unit and try it out to see if it works. I am at work now and just itching to know. Thank you!!

J
As far as I remember most factory presets (if not all) have speaker drive set at 0 so this update shouldn't change the sound, unless they use the updated drive models

Question for anyone that has used this Beta FW - do you need to make any changes to any parameters to see the effect of the amp in the room? or is that change already apparent when upgrading?

Nice another great improvement.. IMHO the sweet spot is different on any amp.. the citrus I could bring the speaker drive up past 5 and got some
great tone and feel

Yep, confirmed. Nice cab, pre-rola 25 watt greenies = round mid`s supportet. One of my personal faves from the www.marshall-forever.de museums collection :) (picture 5, we picked the upper second from left - for reasons! ... if i remember correct :) )
From Hubi`s SC description: Just a single SM57 IR from speaker B from the MPT Single Mic folder. folder structure and how to use, you`ll have perhaps seen in the slideshow on the product page...

Last edited:
Question for anyone that has used this Beta FW - do you need to make any changes to any parameters to see the effect of the amp in the room? or is that change already apparent when upgrading?

Check the Speaker Drive parameter, if it's set to 0, turn it up to something between 1.0 and 2.0. Checkout the Comments by cliff at the start of this thread.

Can anyone report on this:

Improved Drive model frequency response accuracy for models based on op-amp architectures. Models now behave with near-perfect accuracy even when Drive control is set to extreme values.

Does it change or fix the situation where i have to have the drive knob on my Zen Master down to 2.00. anything above is pretty dirty to me...or is that correct? thanks

Question, the in the room description in regards to the amp speaker page drive parameter, this in theory works most noticeably with a slightly loud FRFR volume, no? (I haven't turned it up yet, waiting for everyone in the building to go to sleep first...)

Spectacular FW. Factory presets are easy to use now - A few firmwares back I usually ignored them and started fresh, but now, with the Wah and drives the way they are, if I have free time to tinker, most of them actually inspire me in some way or another.

I played with it last night and I noticed especially on cleans, that when you add a little of transfomer match to like 1.2 and dríve to taste, not really much though, you get this clean tone with feel of a break-up. Also it seems to help with bass - like it is not as boomy as before. Something similar to a drive in front of an amp.

Oh and it seems to me, that it does what old drives used to do - Cliff describes as throaty, I would say he is right, but the old drives did it too much so the bass response for me was mostly distorted too much that it was farty not throaty :). Now you can dial in the exact amount with the speaker drive and it really helps the tone. It is like having a well driven-in, well run-in engine of a car, if it makes sense in English :)

....Improved Drive model frequency response accuracy for models based on op-amp architectures. Models now behave with near-perfect accuracy even when Drive control is set to extreme values.

The output level (Level parameter on the first page of the Drive block) seems to have been altered, at least on the couple of Drives I use. For example, the FAS Boost has way more output than before. With 6.01, I had it around 5.00, which seemed to be about unity gain, give or take (with the Drive parameter at 0.00). With 6.02, I have to turn the Level down to around 1.00 to get the same perceived output.

On the other hand, the T808 OD seems to have a little less output than before. Maybe have to turn the Level up around .50 more than before. Not entirely sure.

Cliff, question for my own sanity, so I won't sit forever A/B'ing different settings, trying to get my patches sounding like they did with 6.01. Assuming there is a little less output with the T808 OD's Level control, If I had it set at 2.00 with 6.01, what would be the equivalent setting be with 6.02?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom