Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 6.02 Firmware Released

i am not a fan of this particular beta... the drives are awesome, but every amp sounds wrong. This is the only time i've ever said anything like that and I feel it almost sacrilege saying it.

It's not a beta. What version were you using prior? There have been no changes to the modeling vs. 6.01 and 6.00.

I edited my message to explain a little more.
Well, AxeEdit would be nice but for me it would be great in both. If you put that global setting to NO, it would show the controls as you have it now, if set to YES, the controls that are not in a particular amp would not show.

As usual, I'm not limited in my thinking by any actual knowledge of what would be involved, but maybe the different editors could be opened up to being "skinned"? User-developed looks and features on top of the Fractal framework? One thing I've thought would be handy would be to be able to select multiple blocks and their connections and copy and paste, or drag them into new locations. If skinning were possible, and useful enough, skin creators might even sell/license their efforts.

This whole idea of having the option to tweak between "real parameters" vs "extra parameters" is very cool, but I don't see fas going that direction - and I completely understand it.
So I'd be just very happy with an official and detailed guide for the drive blocks like the one we have for the amps.

I.e. Fet preamp / boss FA1: original controls: level/bass/treble/lo cut: leave drive and mid at noon, use level, bass and treble for authentic operation, set low cut to 200hz for authentic lo cut switch.

For those saying that not every user is willing to search the manual / internet or whatever, keep in mind that everything we've had after buying the black box has been a free gift, fw updates, new fx blocks, improved algo's etc. So I guess that a little search is such a cheap price to pay for all of this.

This whole idea of having the option to tweak between "real parameters" vs "extra parameters" is very cool, but I don't see fas going that direction - and I completely understand it.
So I'd be just very happy with an official and detailed guide for the drive blocks like the one we have for the amps.

I.e. Fet preamp / boss FA1: original controls: level/bass/treble/lo cut: leave drive and mid at noon, use level, bass and treble for authentic operation, set low cut to 200hz for authentic lo cut switch.

For those saying that not every user is willing to search the manual / internet or whatever, keep in mind that everything we've had after buying the black box has been a free gift, fw updates, new fx blocks, improved algo's etc. So I guess that a little search is such a cheap price to pay for all of this.

I agree with everything you said, as I said the same above, and I still feel it would be nice to have.

I like the idea of the AxeEdit "hover over" where it pops up a little window with an explanation of what each control does.
It'd be a lot of work though.
And I suppose if you're gunna go that far, I guess you could color code all original knobs/switches of the original amp/pedal with a pop up of the original name from the manufacturer.

can't imagine an "easy" mode in the axefx itself. It would almost certainly take up more memory. Whether or not that would affect FW size I don't know know. I could however see it in axe-edit. Would it be nice/convenient/easy to have authentic mode then peak under the hood for advanced parameters? I guess. I like the idea of skins but then again I'm use to the way things work now.

Hell it would be cool for axe edit to have some kind of cooler interface like the amp. virtually every other plugin and software has a visual representation of the amp. A lot easier scrolling through amps instead of seeing some cryptic name. I know use your ears, blah blah, it's a visual world and i'm a visual gir... guy.

can't imagine an "easy" mode in the axefx itself. It would almost certainly take up more memory. Whether or not that would affect FW size I don't know know. I could however see it in axe-edit. Would it be nice/convenient/easy to have authentic mode then peak under the hood for advanced parameters? I guess. I like the idea of skins but then again I'm use to the way things work now.
I think options should be in the software side of things Axe-Edit & Fractool. Keep the box the way it is.

I like the idea of the AxeEdit "hover over" where it pops up a little window with an explanation of what each control does.

Personally I love the complexity of Fractal products it makes them fun as there's always something new to (re)discover. That said I have, from time-to-time, wished that the many nuggets of wisdom with respect to specific controls that are dropped regularly in the forum were collected somewhere in Axe Edit and preferably as "hover over" tool tips attached to each control.

Thanks Edo, this is exactly what I think too...

It's not a beta. What version were you using prior? There have been no changes to the modeling vs. 6.01 and 6.00.

I have been edit>resetting most blocks and it has been solving a LOT of problems. At first.. I was just having a problem getting a plexi to sound like a plexi the other night. for like an hour... it made no sense. Then I looked at my pedal board and my volume pedal was at about 50%. I admit it, I'm not proud. I'm a damn fool.... Almost as stupid as when you are going through every cable making sure every connection is good.. whyyYyyyyyy am I not getting sound... meanwhile, you never actually plugged in your guitar.

We've all been there. and don't pretend like it didn't happen to you at least once. 50% of the time the technical problem is our own stupidity.

I am quite a fan of this version now. Sorry bout that Cliff! I do appreciate the response. Even with the volume up, My G&L S-500's MFD pickups are the most finicky bastards on earth. They need ALOT of tweaking. Threw on the G&L ASAT with a piledriver bridge pup and i'm off to the races. Same with my PRS Vela. But I wouldn't change those MFD pups for anything. With the toggle switch, and the three pickups.. it might be one of the most versatile guitars there is.. especially for studio work. I just can't use it live, it's NOISY.

SO Thank you Cliff.. I LOVE The Timmy for certain stuff.. and this FW got me thinking backwards.. and I just switched up everything on my pedalboard.. I found I can use the left side of the Wampler Dual Fusion as a De-Overdrive pedal... It somehow cleans up the dirty Morgan I'm using.. And now I have a beautiful sonding clean amp, at the same volume. I don't know it did that. But it does? I don't want to have to switch amps anymore. That 1 second gap is always audible and I also don't want to even have to worry about it. I'm thinking about when I had an amp.. I had ONE amp.. not two. and a Pedal for OD. I think the AC20 is the answer to my problems.

Now Just throw a dang shimmer in there. .. so I don't have to go buy one for the FX loop. the amt of cpu the axe uses to make a shimmerverb, when you're done - you're up to like 79%. I don't think it's really an odd sort of effect anymore that is made with turning 4 pedals on... Just about every pedal company has made their own version of a shimmer reverb now...
The Walrus Audio Descent or Neunaber Immerse are definitely the two best (IMHO).

LOVE YOU GUYS. thank you for the (most likely sum total of one full month) of my life tweaking this machine. Not all at once. If you add it all up though. it'd be close.

I have been edit>resetting most blocks and it has been solving a LOT of problems. At first.. I was just having a problem getting a plexi to sound like a plexi the other night. for like an hour... it made no sense. Then I looked at my pedal board and my volume pedal was at about 50%. I admit it, I'm not proud. I'm a damn fool.... Almost as stupid as when you are going through every cable making sure every connection is good.. whyyYyyyyyy am I not getting sound... meanwhile, you never actually plugged in your guitar.

We've all been there. and don't pretend like it didn't happen to you at least once. 50% of the time the technical problem is our own stupidity.

I am quite a fan of this version now. Sorry bout that Cliff! I do appreciate the response. Even with the volume up, My G&L S-500's MFD pickups are the most finicky bastards on earth. They need ALOT of tweaking. Threw on the G&L ASAT with a piledriver bridge pup and i'm off to the races. Same with my PRS Vela. But I wouldn't change those MFD pups for anything. With the toggle switch, and the three pickups.. it might be one of the most versatile guitars there is.. especially for studio work. I just can't use it live, it's NOISY.

SO Thank you Cliff.. I LOVE The Timmy for certain stuff.. and this FW got me thinking backwards.. and I just switched up everything on my pedalboard.. I found I can use the left side of the Wampler Dual Fusion as a De-Overdrive pedal... It somehow cleans up the dirty Morgan I'm using.. And now I have a beautiful sonding clean amp, at the same volume. I don't know it did that. But it does? I don't want to have to switch amps anymore. That 1 second gap is always audible and I also don't want to even have to worry about it. I'm thinking about when I had an amp.. I had ONE amp.. not two. and a Pedal for OD. I think the AC20 is the answer to my problems.

Now Just throw a dang shimmer in there. .. so I don't have to go buy one for the FX loop. the amt of cpu the axe uses to make a shimmerverb, when you're done - you're up to like 79%. I don't think it's really an odd sort of effect anymore that is made with turning 4 pedals on... Just about every pedal company has made their own version of a shimmer reverb now...
The Walrus Audio Descent or Neunaber Immerse are definitely the two best (IMHO).

LOVE YOU GUYS. thank you for the (most likely sum total of one full month) of my life tweaking this machine. Not all at once. If you add it all up though. it'd be close.
I can't tell you how many times I've turned everything on & hit the first note on the guitar only for it to sound like shit.. & I think to myself, "wtf!? This patch sounded killer yesterday, I know I tweaked it a bit, but how the F could me ears have been that far off!?"
Only to find the Wah pedal 1/2 way down! Lmao, more that I care to admit.

I've lost my mind at rehearsal getting no sound only to realize I left it set to USB input because I was reamping before I packed up my gear. Doh.

Hell it would be cool for axe edit to have some kind of cooler interface like the amp. virtually every other plugin and software has a visual representation of the amp. A lot easier scrolling through amps instead of seeing some cryptic name. I know use your ears, blah blah, it's a visual world and i'm a visual gir... guy.

I think the essential Fractal concept has always been the best possible sound quality, with a rugged, and utilitarian interface, and there is sort of a beauty in that. There are certainly products on the market that have a flashy GUI, with big displays, lots of colored lights, touch strips, software interfaces that are pretty to look at, but nothing sounds as good (IMO at least) as the Axe.

I've had software l like Bias, Amplitube 4.0 etc, and they have a darn slick presentation, but the sounds....ehhh......

No doubt part of that is because a lot of the develop time/cost went into coding that slick looking GUI. Bias for example looks cool, but its only skin deep. Sure its cool to change amp models and have the knobs switch to "correct" skirted top hats, to chicken head, to rounded metal knobs, to better look like the amp the model is based off, but does the GUI of a knob matter as far as the tone goes ? Not one bit.

Does a Plexi model sound/feel more accurate if when you select that model the background color in Axe-Edit turns golden and has 4 holes ? Nope. Looks cool, yes, and sure, having the GUI for Lepoud HyBrit model open on your DAW is well and good, fun stuff, but the tone isn't there (thought is darn fine for a free VST!)

Fractal is a small company, and has limited resources. They could likely stop all further software/hardware development and shift all resources to making the slickest GUI, or "skin" for Axe-Edit, but personally, I'd rather they put that time into further refining the Flanger and Phaser blocks.

After all, when I'm playing my guitar, I'm not watching a computer monitor, nor is the audience.

All I really need is a great tone, the ability to quickly tweak it, and then for my needs, 5 rugged stomp switches, and 2 exp pedals, that my clumsy size 12's can find in the dark to change scenes and sweep the wah etc.

I think the essential Fractal concept has always been the best possible sound quality, with a rugged, and utilitarian interface, and there is sort of a beauty in that. There are certainly products on the market that have a flashy GUI, with big displays, lots of colored lights, touch strips, software interfaces that are pretty to look at, but nothing sounds as good (IMO at least) as the Axe.

I've had software l like Bias, Amplitube 4.0 etc, and they have a darn slick presentation, but the sounds....ehhh......

No doubt part of that is because a lot of the develop time/cost went into coding that slick looking GUI. Bias for example looks cool, but its only skin deep. Sure its cool to change amp models and have the knobs switch to "correct" skirted top hats, to chicken head, to rounded metal knobs, to better look like the amp the model is based off, but does the GUI of a knob matter as far as the tone goes ? Not one bit.

Does a Plexi model sound/feel more accurate if when you select that model the background color in Axe-Edit turns golden and has 4 holes ? Nope. Looks cool, yes, and sure, having the GUI for Lepoud HyBrit model open on your DAW is well and good, fun stuff, but the tone isn't there (thought is darn fine for a free VST!)

Fractal is a small company, and has limited resources. They could likely stop all further software/hardware development and shift all resources to making the slickest GUI, or "skin" for Axe-Edit, but personally, I'd rather they put that time into further refining the Flanger and Phaser blocks.

After all, when I'm playing my guitar, I'm not watching a computer monitor, nor is the audience.

All I really need is a great tone, the ability to quickly tweak it, and then for my needs, 5 rugged stomp switches, and 2 exp pedals, that my clumsy size 12's can find in the dark to change scenes and sweep the wah etc.
This is pretty much my sentiment. I love the fact that it isn't this hold your hand type of interface and instead you get what you're actually modifying over some ambiguous adjective. In the short term it might be a little troublesome but in the long run it puts me in a better position to tone shape when I have the understanding I do bc of the raw nature of it

Well now they have the tones, now work on the presentation? I only use the front panel anyway, doesn't matter much to me really, but nothing ever is hurt by a better interface.

Back
Top Bottom