Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 6.02 Firmware Released

Shouldn't the speaker drive be a function of the block's output volume, or something, anyway? I can't imagine that a tube amp has a constant amount of speaker drive at all volumes.
I would agree. Seems it would be a dynamic effect. The harder it's hit the more drive.

Question has already been asked, let's see if we get a reply:
Quick question: Is the new speaker drive function connected in any way to the master volume of the amp? I'm wondering if the maximum amount of speaker drive is set at the parameter, and then there is maybe a logarithmic function applied as the master volume it turned up? i.e. driving the speaker harder and harder as you crank the volume.

Thanks!

I'm not next to the AXE right now, but does the Speaker Drive have the option to attach a controller to it?
If ya can, then attach it to an envelope to get the dynamic response of real world of pushing it hard/light.

I'm not next to the AXE right now, but does the Speaker Drive have the option to attach a controller to it?
If ya can, then attach it to an envelope to get the dynamic response of real world of pushing it hard/light.

Thanks Perdikament. I saw that recommendation by dsimms earlier in the thread as well. However, I'm curious if there is an existing connection between the two. I know Cliff talked about measuring the speaker drive to set it accurately for each amp and I'm sure the increased effect would be something other then linear.

No need for that, it already depends on the master volume setting, or more precisely on the signal level coming out of the power amp, at least for the "distortion side" of this control. The compression introduced seems the same at all settings to my ears, but it's very subtle.
It behaves like in real world but unlike real world we can decide how much speaker drive we want without touching amp controls or changing speakers/cabs

OK, time is fleeting and I have come to the realization that some things just have to be said, and I don't care who knows it.

Cliff, I love you, man.

And your staff, and your company. Merry Christmas to FAS and our Fractal Family everywhere. From a Mark I owner who's grateful to still be on the journey.

No need for that, it already depends on the master volume setting, or more precisely on the signal level coming out of the power amp, at least for the "distortion side" of this control. The compression introduced seems the same at all settings to my ears, but it's very subtle.
It behaves like in real world but unlike real world we can decide how much speaker drive we want without touching amp controls or changing speakers/cabs
Oh, cool! So it already is dynamic. Makes perfect sense that it would be otherwise it would be adding that "flavor" of distortion on top & not truly emulating the physical interaction.
Kind of feel silly now... Like Cliff wouldn't have made it work the same way.. duh o_O:p

Thank you for a great product and your relentless pursuit of excellence!!

Have a wonderful Christmas and know that the world sounds better because of you!

Axe-Fx II Quantum Firmware Release Notes

Improved speaker overdrive modeling in Amp block. New algorithm captures the “throaty” sound of an overdriven speaker along with the gentle compression. The “Spkr Drv” (Speaker Drive) parameter has been moved to the Spkr tab on the Amp menu. NOTE: If you are using Speaker Drive in existing presets you should audition these presets and adjust the parameter as necessary as the sound and behavior of the algorithm is considerably different than before. NOTE: This change affects all modeling versions as the algorithm is outside the archived modeling functions. I.e. if you change the Modeling Version parameter you will NOT get the old speaker overdrive algorithm.

Improved Drive model frequency response accuracy for models based on op-amp architectures. Models now behave with near-perfect accuracy even when Drive control is set to extreme values.

Added “Timothy” Drive model based on a Paul Cochrane “Timmy”.

Updated “BB PRE” Drive model.

Fixed “PI FUZZ” output level too low. The Drive and Level tapers have also been changed so any presets using this model should be auditioned and adjusted accordingly.

Fixed wrong capacitor value in “Esoteric ACB” Drive model. Any presets using this model should be auditioned and the model deselected and reselected to reset the internal parameters.

Fixed wrong value in “Hipower Jumped” amp model.
Thanks.. FAS.

Always amazing Cliff! I love the never-ending ride we are all on, with the AxeFX products. Happy Holidays!

Lee

where the heck is the timmy model. I refreshed after new FW, restarted axe, restarted axe edit. is this an inside joke or what.

was it added to 6.02, like is this 6.02b? should i install again?

yep. theres timothy. bolder font too

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom