Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 6.02 Firmware Released

We really need this type of information for all the Drive types. This would be completely non-intuitive for people like myself that have never used a real Timmy, and it's not even obvious for those that have...

I think a cool feature would be a "Axe realistic mode", where the Axe would just show the controls that exist in the real world counterparts (even with their control name, instead of a generic one).
For amps, drive effects, effects that are modelled as the Phase 90, etc.

That would be very intuitive and so easy for people that never get in the advanced stuff (although you could always revert to the normal mode and tweak the advanced parameters).

I think a cool feature would be a "Axe realistic mode", where the Axe would just show the controls that exist in the real world counterparts (even with their control name, instead of a generic one).

That would be very intuitive and so easy for people that never get in the advanced stuff (although you could always revert to the normal mode and tweak the advanced parameters).
I tottally agree.

I think it would be more confusing since many pedals and amps use different names for the same parameter types. So if you don't own or are familiar with the pedal/amp it really wouldn't help?

I agree with the intent of this 100% I'm not sure exactly about how it would / should be implemented.

For authentic results, it's nice to know what the parameters really mean and also, for me, what parameters not to change. For example when an amp has volume and tone; typically this would mean adjust the input drive and treble only in the Fractal to be authentic to the real amp.

I think it's a silly step backwards to omit controls just because the reference doesn't have them. For example, most muff fuzz boxes don't have a mids control, so should we remove it from the model? Seems like a dumb idea to me, because that mids control is very useful for matching different era muff, and, many modern takes on the pedal now have a mids control because users requested it.

It's like a vintage muscle car, sure the brakes sucked as it came from the factory, but most guys add things like abs and disc brakes now, simply because they can, and it's way better. If the tech existed back in the day it surely would of had it offered as well.

So let's keep the mids knob on the Fender models etc, because it's useful, even if not "period correct". Reason I bought an Axe-Fx was to free myself from limitations of hardware amps, not tie a virtual hand behind my back to be "authentic".

I think it's a silly step backwards to omit controls just because the reference doesn't have them. For example, most muff fuzz boxes don't have a mids control, so should we remove it from the model? Seems like a dumb idea to me, because that mids control is very useful for matching different era muff, and, many modern takes on the pedal now have a mids control because users requested it.

It's like a vintage muscle car, sure the brakes sucked as it came from the factory, but most guys add things like abs and disc brakes now, simply because they can, and it's way better. If the tech existed back in the day it surely would of had it offered as well.

So let's keep the mids knob on the Fender models etc, because it's useful, even if not "period correct". Reason I bought an Axe-Fx was to free myself from limitations of hardware amps, not tie a virtual hand behind my back to be "authentic".

This is a common misconception and rebuttal.

It's not a wish to remove anything. It's a wish to present the actual amp controls as a mode. The full monty would also be there.

This is one of those cost / benefit things. It takes time and $$ to make these changes, so the priority to the business would be low I would guess.

It's still okay to make wishes though :)

Besides, who is going to care if your tone is the result of tweaking a knob an authentic model doesn't have? The audience ?

"Hey everyone, yeah this guys tone and playing is killing it, but he didn't just tweak input drive and treble to get. He's a virtual fraud!"

Besides, who is going to care if your tone is the result of tweaking a knob an authentic model doesn't have? The audience ?

"Hey everyone, yeah this guys tone and playing is killing it, but he didn't just tweak input drive and treble to get. He's a virtual fraud!"
Dude... Do you seriously take on this argument in every thread? If someone wants the ability to have an "authentic mode", how does that affect you? If you don't want it, don't use it!

I understand your point on eliminating constraints, and I often do make changes that fall outside the range of the authentic...

But some people (many?) bought the Axe Fx because it authentically models some specific amps and effects.

I'm not sure if the 'authentic' mode you're requesting will ever come from Fractal, as it's often toted as a 'toolbox', but if it did, I believe it would happen through a version of Axe-Edit.
Based on previous posts, I think Cliff is more into the idea that he has given us the tool set, now he wants to see where we can go with it. 'Let's move beyond what's available in the real world.' That's a cool mindset for sure.

That being said, we have all seen the apps that show each amp/pedal when you go to edit it. Positive Grid and others do their interface this way. When you select a Marshall Plexi, it looks like a Marshall Plexi, when you pick a Fender Deluxe, it looks like that Deluxe with all the controls in place and it works that same way with all the effects. This would require a version of Axe-Edit (or something like it), that changes the interface this way when you select an amp or effect, and when you change a value on the interface it would adjust the corresponding value in the Axe, regardless of what it's actually called by the Axe-Fx. This could also set the min and max values to represent only what's accurate on the corresponding object.

I think the best chance would be a community member building this as AlGrenadine did with the FracTool, since it doesn't seem to be the direction of Fractal.

I'm not sure if the 'authentic' mode you're requesting will ever come from Fractal, as it's often toted as a 'toolbox', but if it did, I believe it would happen through a version of Axe-Edit.
Based on previous posts, I think Cliff is more into the idea that he has given us the tool set, now he wants to see where we can go with it. 'Let's move beyond what's available in the real world.' That's a cool mindset for sure.

That being said, we have all seen the apps that show each amp/pedal when you go to edit it. Positive Grid and others do their interface this way. When you select a Marshall Plexi, it looks like a Marshall Plexi, when you pick a Fender Deluxe, it looks like that Deluxe with all the controls in place and it works that same way with all the effects. This would require a version of Axe-Edit (or something like it), that changes the interface this way when you select an amp or effect, and when you change a value on the interface it would adjust the corresponding value in the Axe, regardless of what it's actually called by the Axe-Fx. This could also set the min and max values to represent only what's accurate on the corresponding object.

I think the best chance would be a community member building this as AlGrenadine did with the FracTool, since it doesn't seem to be the direction of Fractal.

I agree, I would pay for that feature (when you want to be a purist in a hurry), have the "actual controls" on a separate page or color coded would even work for me. A possible toggle between modes would be fantastic but probably more work.

an "authentic mode" would surely benfit the Axe in regards to all the guitarists I hear in conversations being almost scared of the Axe-Fx because (at least that's what some believe) you need to tweak it too much. once you've used it you know that's not really the case, but even then, "authentic" could be a good starting point for amp models you're not familiar with, quick starts etc...

Reactions: yek

Agree 100%, I think it's best to use your ears... i love the extra flexibility. I know if Hendrix was alive he'd love fractals gear. Pushing boundaries. I don't want sit down and copy my tubescreamer through my plexi... Or worry if it has a mid control that isn't on the real world counterpart. I think what's on offer allows you to improve on what we've had in the past.
A friend of mine bought a AX8 a couple of weeks ago who is not a tweaker at all and he said he thought a lot of presets were excellent straight up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom