Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 6.01 Firmware Released

Cliff, I had posted on "anyone not a fan of 6" that I was having trouble getting punchy palm mutes. well today I tried 6.01 and didn't have any issues, it sounded and responded great. well the other day when I was having the issue it was on my AX8, so I assumed the AX8 and the Axe FxII were pretty much the same but today I ran them both through my Friedmans and my CLR's with the same preset and it's the AX8 I'm having trouble with and not the AxeFx. it's not a big difference but the AxeFx is tighter and puncher on my setup than the AX8. Both are running 6.01 thanks for your hard work, I'm not asking you to change anything at all, just wanted to clarify this.
I guess ax8 's 6.01 does not have the 12ax7b tubes back yet

Well I updated and loaded a pre-existing plexi preset and checked the preamp tube type and it was still the 12ax7 so I reset it and got the ECC83 option - so I'm saying yes reset needed .... at least for the Marshalls

Yes, to recall the (new) default value, you have to re-select the amp type. No need to reset the entire block.

Axe-Fx II Quantum Firmware Release Notes
Updated all models to use an appropriate Preamp Tube Type when selected. I.e. British models will now use the ECC83 when selected.
Fixed wrong Preamp Bias default value for Wrecker Express model.
Fixed wrong Power Amp Bias default value for several models.
Grazie Cliff !

Thank you so much if there is also found on the Italian Forum :)
Grazie 1000 se c'è lo ritroviamo anche sul Forum Italiano :)

Last edited:
Yes, mucho спасибо Cliff! (And thanks for the inclusion into this international forum; i didn't even know there were letters like that, much less words O_O. SOmeone please help fund my migration from the U.S. so I can escape from the mainstream media over here.)

I just realized Fractal Bot now opens with a link to download and install the update. Probably been there for years! Duh, which way did he go George.

Last edited:
Why not just re-select the preamp tube type? That recalls the default values for the tube type and the preamp hardness (at least it did with the prior firmwares). Then you don't have to redial any of the other amp settings that might have also of gone back to default when the amp type was re-selected.

What I meant is that to discover what the (new) default preamp tube type for a specific amp type is, you have to reselect the amp type first....

What I meant is that to discover what the (new) default preamp tube type for a specific amp type is, you have to reselect the amp type first....
That's kind of a PITA. I have to re-select the amp type of all my existing presets, just to see if the preamp tube changes. When I first loaded up 6.01, I went to my Splawn preset and noticed that the preamp tube was still 12AX7. Then I re-selected the amp and it changed. I understand that this is supposed to be for "Marshall" type amps, but how am I supposed to know all the specific amp models that are supposed to default to the new tube? I came on here to voice my only gripe and it seems someone else beat me to it.

Thanks Cliff again for updating. I always thought that VOX originated in the UK and therefore had ECC83's? I know there was US Vox under licence from JMI. Any thoughts?

That's kind of a PITA. I have to re-select the amp type of all my existing presets, just to see if the preamp tube changes. When I first loaded up 6.01, I went to my Splawn preset and noticed that the preamp tube was still 12AX7. Then I re-selected the amp and it changed. I understand that this is supposed to be for "Marshall" type amps, but how am I supposed to know all the specific amp models that are supposed to default to the new tube? I came on here to voice my only gripe and it seems someone else beat me to it.
No biggie.
If you don't want to do it, you don't have to; it will still work like it did before the update, if that's what you want.
However, if you wish to experience the change, you might need to invest a little sweat equity. o_O

However, if you wish to experience the change, you might need to invest a little sweat equity.
The problem I have is not knowing which amps are going to default to the new preamp tube. So, if I wanted to check and see if one of my presets got the change, then I have to re-select that amp to find out. As @shredi knight pointed out, other amp settings might get sent back to default by re-selecting the amp. I mean, I wouldn't mind putting in the "sweat equity" if I had a list of all the amps that are supposed to default to the new preamp tube. Right now, it's just a guessing game. Hell, I wouldn't haven even thought to check the Vox amps if it weren't for @StratnVox posting his comment.

Back
Top Bottom