Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 6.01 Firmware Released

After updating to 6.01 PVH 6160 BLOCK started to sound dark and muddy. I tried to reinstall the firmware and reset amp block but this didn't change anything. On Q 6.00 and 5.00 this amp is bright and sharp.

Did anyone else noticed that too?

Turn up the Presence. The taper changed to match the real amp, otherwise the model is identical to before.

5.02 did it for me instantly. 6.01 just changed all my presets. I tried to change the preamp tubes back etc. fiddled with things, but mostly go dull , less gain, etc. I know the answer is just stay where I like, and for now I have changed back; But I like to have the latest wah, sounds etc.

It is odd but sometimes the new fw seems to necessitate whole changes in IR's for me to get back where I was. I just dont want to go through leaps and bounds to get all my beloved presets back. One odd thing I feel like Im noticing is the saturation 'switch' doesnt seem to add the gain it used to just volume and boominess.

It is possible 6.01 may sound better at higher volumes as many of the gigging players are loving it. At bedroom levels I feel like I have lost something. Anyone have any immediate 'magic' tweeks they found useful? I usually start with HBE Friedman as Mark Day started this journey for me, and they are just off for me (or the IR"s i was using with them) no longer work.

5.02 did it for me instantly. 6.01 just changed all my presets. I tried to change the preamp tubes back etc. fiddled with things, but mostly go dull , less gain, etc. I know the answer is just stay where I like, and for now I have changed back; But I like to have the latest wah, sounds etc.

It is odd but sometimes the new fw seems to necessitate whole changes in IR's for me to get back where I was. I just dont want to go through leaps and bounds to get all my beloved presets back. One odd thing I feel like Im noticing is the saturation 'switch' doesnt seem to add the gain it used to just volume and boominess.

It is possible 6.01 may sound better at higher volumes as many of the gigging players are loving it. At bedroom levels I feel like I have lost something. Anyone have any immediate 'magic' tweeks they found useful? I usually start with HBE Friedman as Mark Day started this journey for me, and they are just off for me (or the IR"s i was using with them) no longer work.

I've been exactly there and I did this: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/anyone-not-a-fan-of-quantum-6.121353/page-3#post-1445887
After 6.01 came out, I reselected 12AX7A (used 12AX7SYL in Q6.0) as for the preamp tube and reintroduced comb filtering in CAB Block using a delay of 0.040 ms between the two IRs (both centered, so my CAB is mono). Now my tone is almost where it was, "almost" because it's better now, I have balls without mud. For untrained ears my tone is EXACTLY the same as it was before Q6. In the mix (A/B between Q4 and Q6.01) even for me is hard to pick the new Q6.01 sound, I can pick it only if I am concentrated to the clarity of the guitar tone and not the EQ of it.

I've been exactly there and I did this: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/anyone-not-a-fan-of-quantum-6.121353/page-3#post-1445887
After 6.01 came out, I reselected 12AX7A (used 12AX7SYL in Q6.0) as for the preamp tube and reintroduced comb filtering in CAB Block using a delay of 0.040 ms between the two IRs (both centered, so my CAB is mono). Now my tone is almost where it was, "almost" because it's better now, I have balls without mud. For untrained ears my tone is EXACTLY the same as it was before Q6. In the mix (A/B between Q4 and Q6.01) even for me is hard to pick the new Q6.01 sound, I can pick it only if I am concentrated to the clarity of the guitar tone and not the EQ of it.
Very interesting how you did that panning the cabs to mono - almost reminds me of what those synthesizer programmer types do. Hmm; something that would be fun to try for a change, not that I'm trying to correct anything, but I wonder what I may hear.

Did anybody here experience trouble with gates all resetted, and lots of trebble after loading the new FW ?

Did anybody here experience trouble with gates all resetted, and lots of trebble after loading the new FW ?
Pb was subject to two issues : Guitar jack input suffering (jumped on a cable during last gig) and after replacement still some pb. Reloaded 6.00 (sound OK) and then again Q6.01, this solved the pb. Strange as I never had this kind of issues with FW loading and always thought this kind of issues happens in the head, or maybe I'd better go see a shrink anyway ?

Yup. I have the article somewhere (might have been during 'Coverdale - Page', but somehow that seems earlier than the 5150).
You seem to be right on the money. I did a Google search and found this info on a forum:

"If you can find a copy of the May 1993 Guitar World (Coverdale/Page cover) he talks quite a bit about how he achieved some of the sounds on the album, right down to getting out his studio log & showing the tone/gain settings. From memory
there was a 5150 (yes, really) and a Soldano that got a fiar amount of use, not to mention an old Plexi. The big thing on that record was combining two (or more) amps at once to get the tone. He also taked about running a DI into the board, and recording that to use for re-amping so that if a performance was great, but the tone wasn't he could keep the performance & work on the tone."

You seem to be right on the money. I did a Google search and found this info on a forum:

"If you can find a copy of the May 1993 Guitar World (Coverdale/Page cover) he talks quite a bit about how he achieved some of the sounds on the album, right down to getting out his studio log & showing the tone/gain settings. From memory
there was a 5150 (yes, really) and a Soldano that got a fiar amount of use, not to mention an old Plexi. The big thing on that record was combining two (or more) amps at once to get the tone. He also taked about running a DI into the board, and recording that to use for re-amping so that if a performance was great, but the tone wasn't he could keep the performance & work on the tone."

I owned an early production 5150, ran the high-gain channel @ about 2.5 for gain (2.8 when I was really moody) and it was thick and distorted enough to sound like metal to me (a lot folks used way too much distortion back in the day). It was a great amp, and I can definitely hear its character in the AxeFXII models.

Back
Top Bottom