Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 6.01 Firmware Released

I owned an early production 5150, ran the high-gain channel @ about 2.5 for gain (2.8 when I was really moody) and it was thick and distorted enough to sound like metal to me (a lot folks used way too much distortion back in the day). It was a great amp, and I can definitely hear its character in the AxeFXII models.
You're right. That amp has a ridiculous amount of gain. However, I set my gain a little higher than you (4 to 5) and run a TS in front set for a clean boost (gain-0, volume-10). Crank the depth and presence to almost max and rip some metal riffs! The cab IR is also very important (Mesa 4x12 V30 is a must).

Hi all

If I load the new presets into 6.02 do
I need to do anything to those
presets to get the latest modelling?

And if I do (like changing the amp to a different amp and back again) don't I lose the precise settings in the new presets? Please can someone help me to get new presets and latest modelling. Thanks for all advice offered.

Cheers Gilesy

(ps just flown back from 3 days business in Denver - very nice city)

If I load the new presets into 6.02 do I need to do anything to those presets to get the latest modelling?

A good question and one that I'm never quite sure about.

It seems that presets are just a collection of parameters that get input into the modeling software. If the software changes then the effect of those parameters may change.

If a parameters optimal value in 6.01 was 6.0 and is now 3.0 in 6.02, then it seems that 6.01 presets that have the value at 6.0 will no longer be optimized for 6.02. My guess is that refreshing the block that parameter refers to will change it's value from the old 6.0 to the new 3.0.

Yes, I know, use your ears :)

A good question and one that I'm never quite sure about.

It seems that presets are just a collection of parameters that get input into the modeling software. If the software changes then the effect of those parameters may change.

If a parameters optimal value in 6.01 was 6.0 and is now 3.0 in 6.02, then it seems that 6.01 presets that have the value at 6.0 will no longer be optimized for 6.02. My guess is that refreshing the block that parameter refers to will change it's value from the old 6.0 to the new 3.0.

Yes, I know, use your ears :)

Cheers Quark. I thought about this again today - if you load the presets on top of the firmware they were created in, then you know they were created with that modelling algorithm, hence no need for resetting at that point. Once you update to the next version your description above seems right to me, and you would need to tweak if the sound has changed.

Have Quark and I got it right?

G

Back
Top Bottom