Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 6.00 Public Beta

Of course it will. It will also unleash the wrath of vocal opponents.
Can't that be done on users preference? I.e. The new fw does not include older fw modeling, if a user wants to keep using them sticks to 5.03, if another doesn't he can have 6 without older versions.. just asking, as i'd rather have the latest (and in the worst case go back)..

So getting rid of old modeling versions won't free up space? Not to derail but I gotta ask.
Of course it will. It will also unleash the wrath of vocal opponents.
I thought that people are getting a new firmware because they want to have a new, improved modeling... not to have something they already use with older firmware. If someone's so much attached to older modeling version - what's the point of upgrading? ;)

Releasing a new firmware including older modeling versions up to three (at least) generations back is a bit like releasing brand new, extremely powerful graphic card with an option of displaying everything in EGA mode on 14 inch monitor... I just cannot imagine anybody who would give a damn about EGA feature in graphic card able to display 4k ;)

Did anyone try new wahs?

I LOVE the new wahs! Not sure how this is, but I definitely feel like my sweep is suddenly longer, almost like I have a new expression pedal but it's still the same old Mission. I also used to feel like I couldn't get the wah to reach as "high" as these new ones do, definitely more control.

That said, I don't know if this is all the net affect of the update on the amps as well, they sound and feel great but I have been more excited about the wah update. Today is going to be an amp day for me to see how my presets sound with QFW6 beta.

I literally sat down last night after a 2 hour jam to play Gears of War and take a break, but then check my phone and saw 6 beta was out, so did a massive U turn and went back upstairs to update and jam some more! :D

XL:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/6.0/axefx2_xl_Quantum_6p00.syx

XL+:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/6.0/axefx2_xlplus_Quantum_6p00.syx

At this time there is no Mark I/II version as I could not get the firmware to fit in memory. I will continue to work on methods over the coming weeks to remedy this but there are
It was already explained in past threads. Removing the old versions is for everyone. No just mk1/2.
axisty mark 1/2 the REBELLION
It was already explained in past threads. Removing the old versions is for everyone. No just mk1/2.

Axe mark 1/2 rebellion and protest

Last edited:
I remember when I first bought my Mark 1 back when it was on firmware 6 and I thought that it cant get better than that, but it id !! Month after month a new firmware a better version of the Axe and I never felt the need to go back to an older firmware because I had trust in the work that Cliff and his team did and I had no doubt that if I tweak a little I would be able to get the sound that I want and it would sound even better than it did.
I am happy and sad at the same time because I am satisfied with what my Mark 1 has to offer me but who is crazy to admit that we wouldn't want more if it were possible !! I know that this thread was closed but I don't think that it should be ignored :

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...eling-options-to-free-up-space.119983/page-18

You can see that more then 94% voted to get rid of the old modeling versions so that the mark I/II users can continue with new updates.
I'm sorry because I read that Cliff said not to go off topic but I had to say it because for me it feels like a relationship is coming to an end or something similar (sounds silly I know) so I can't just stay without saying a few words which might be the last ones on this forum.
Regardless of how many of us feel and what the future holds for us mark I/II users, I want to also use the opportunity to thank mr. Cliff Chase and the FAS team for everything that they'we done for us over these years.

If you don't like what I wrote then please don't reply because I'm not in the mood to start arguments ;)
Thanks for your understanding.

Denis

As a long time Mark 2 owner, I have to ask. Please Cliff, don't leave us with bugs. I can live without the Wah stuff and the bass amps. But no bugs please! For example, I do not want to have to set the high cut value to ten Khz every time I select recto two. There are bugs that have been present for years that are still not fixed. For example, having to use the front panel to set the custom scales in pitch block, because axe edit just selects its own notes randomly. I am not complaining, just would like to be left in good working order if this is the end for us. The axe is definitely tour worthy, but the present bugs are often a problem for us. Thank you for all the free updates no matter what happens! As a band that often barely has enough money at the end of a show to buy everyone a mcdouble, the value is truly appreciated.

Same here. I´ve had an Ultra and now a Mark II, (and hopefully i´ll get an Axe Fx III). The last FW for the Ultra was flawless, and if the FW5.03 it´s gonna be the last firmware for Mark II, at least finish it right. Please remove the (minor) bugs it has.

I´m guessing this is the right topic while we´re talking about future improvements. ;)

Best regards and thank you FAS.

My wah seems to have less range than before now, I'm using the Clyde type with a Mission expression pedal and Auto-On mode. Now it seems to come on with the wah mostly open and just gets a bit more trebly from there, it's like the lower part of the sweep is missing now. Hmmm..

My wah seems to have less range than before now, I'm using the Clyde type with a Mission expression pedal and Auto-On mode. Now it seems to come on with the wah mostly open and just gets a bit more trebly from there, it's like the lower part of the sweep is missing now. Hmmm..

I adjusted the low and high frequency range and the bias to get a sound I liked in just a minute - the bias helped to really smooth things out

Release Notes:

Greatly improved Wah block. Two new parameters have also been added: “Coil Bias” parameter allows the user to adjust the DC offset of the virtual inductor. “Low Cut Freq” sets the highpass filter due to the input coupling capacitor. It is recommended that existing presets be auditioned and, in most cases, deselecting and reselecting the desired model to reset dependent parameters.
Wonderful! Thanks to keep on improving fx blocks!

Improved Amp block output transformer to power tube interaction modeling. This results in less “smear” in the overtones when the virtual power tubes are driven into clipping.
Well... we'll see...

Improved Amp block plate clipping modeling. New algorithms more accurately replicate the gradual onset of clipping and never fully hard clip resulting in a more dynamic and “open” tone. Note that the increased dynamics may result in some amp models having higher peak volumes which can result in clipping with existing presets. To remedy this simply turn down the Level control in the Amp block.
Oh-my-god! I think that frequency wise, Q5 was spot on. In terms of dynamics, there was too much "compression" compared to real amp on stage. These is a step toward perfection. I know you will continue to fine tune amp block, but it seems my ears will no longer keep pace with it! :D

Waiting AX8 version... :)

Hmmm interesting! I'm using the Crybabe and feel like I have more now, however there are other things to take into account here. What type of pickups are you using?

I use a Les Paul with PAFs, so it already has a lot of thickness and I like my wah to have a nice long top end sweep to it. Tried the wah with VOX style amps and the Silver Jubilee.

Only had a short time to play on the new firmware last night, and it was through headphones, but playing through a cranked Marshall Plexi 100 high really sounded nice! I had been recording with the same preset earlier in the day and thought it sounded good, but then I updated and DAYUM, the low end just became more defined, and the whole thing kinda sounded a little more alive. I could see a difference in my metering as well in the dynamics.

Last edited:
Hmmm interesting! I'm using the Crybabe and feel like I have more now, however there are other things to take into account here. What type of pickups are you using?

I use a Les Paul with PAFs, so it already has a lot of thickness and I like my wah to have a nice long top end sweep to it. Tried the wah with VOX style amps and the Silver Jubilee.

All kinds of pickups here (Strat/PRS/Gibson etc).. I tweaked the settings in the wah and it's working a bit better for me. The older settings just didn't seem to work with the new modeling. Thanks for replies guys.

At this time there is no Mark I/II version...I will continue to work...

Many thanks Cliff! I know you will take your best shot as you always have, since I bought my Ultra (3/2009). Know that it is truly, greatly appreciated. I think I'm addicted to upgrading, the adrenaline rush of the new FW. No question what my Mark I does right now is already way above my ability to use it all. But I do try...

So go ahead and hang that clock up in your bathroom whenever you get a chance.

Ever thought about offering an upgrade/discount trade in for used Mark I/II version? I could sell the wife on this, as she is an accountant and I have to clear everything through her, including depreciation on gear....

You're not the only one. No chance of upgrading. :( I hear the sound of lots of single people waving their wads of cash around! ;)

Back
Top Bottom