Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 6.00 Public Beta

As a long time Mark 2 owner, I have to ask. Please Cliff, don't leave us with bugs. I can live without the Wah stuff and the bass amps. But no bugs please! For example, I do not want to have to set the high cut value to ten Khz every time I select recto two. There are bugs that have been present for years that are still not fixed. For example, having to use the front panel to set the custom scales in pitch block, because axe edit just selects its own notes randomly. I am not complaining, just would like to be left in good working order if this is the end for us. The axe is definitely tour worthy, but the present bugs are often a problem for us. Thank you for all the free updates no matter what happens! As a band that often barely has enough money at the end of a show to buy everyone a mcdouble, the value is truly appreciated.

^ Sure, but they have nothing to lose if there was no new update, anyway.
xl and xl+ users like myself would hate to lose all my presets because others do not want to up date to the newer units. I also have a MK II, and an ultra that still sound just as good as they did before this beta came out and I am still plenty happy with the fractals decisions.

xl and xl+ users like myself would hate to lose all my presets because others do not want to up date to the newer units. I also have a MK II, and an ultra that still sound just as good as they did before this beta came out and I am still plenty happy with the fractals decisions.

I see. So MK I/II should give up their valid potentials for your laziness to upgrade your old presets? :D

Those who can load beta Q6, how does it sound? Amazing??? ;)

Mark 1 owner here. Wish I could get the wah update, anyway congrats to Fractal Audio and I'm sure Cliff & team are doing their best to find a solution. Thank you!

A problem with the argument about needing to update existing presets with new firmwares is that only the amp block supports older modelling versions. If, as a random example, the Wah block was updated you'd need to audition/modify those presets to make sure they still work for you. Same with the drive blocks, etc.

The amps are more frequently changed though, so I suppose that helps a bit.

Of course it will. It will also unleash the wrath of vocal opponents.

Hey Cliff,

I'd much rather have the latest modelling than legacy versions.

I think if you explain very clearly in the release notes that the old modelling is being deprecated to allow further updates, there can be no moaning. People can choose to stick with v5 if they need the old modelling.

If that is how it is implemented, I could see your frustration, although historically we ONLY had one version and had to choose to upgrade or not.

I thought it was more a compiler directive like below which wouldn't affect XL:

#ifdef mkii
don't include vers 2, 3, 4, 5... code
set to latest
#elseifdef xl/xl+/AX8
include vers 2, 3, 4, 5... code
set to version
end

I see. So MK I/II should give up their valid potentials for your laziness to upgrade your old presets? :D
I am only guessing, but cliff said it would be to hard to make separate firm ware for each unit. I am also guessing that maybe if the older firmwares are removed from the up date that all presets before the new firmware would not work. if that is truly the case, which it may not be, I would really hate to have a unit full of blank presets every time I up date. updating presets is not trouble, completely rebuilding with nothing to go buy well that's another.

Of course it will. It will also unleash the wrath of vocal opponents.
I simply do not understand this argument.

If you keep the old modeling version option then ALL (I/II) users stop at 5.03. If you take modeling versions out, then those of us who don't care about that can move on a bit more while those who want modeling versions stay at 5.03 - just as they will if modeling versions are not taken out. Nothing changes for them.

The assumption here is that XL/XL+ code will still have modeling versions moving forward but I/II code past 5.03 will not. It appears that I/II code and XL/XL+ are already separate and different, so couldn't the modeling versions option be present in one and not the other? Is this where the difficulty lies?

I simply do not understand this argument.

If you keep the old modeling version option then ALL (I/II) users stop at 5.03. If you take modeling versions out, then those of us who don't care about that can move on a bit more and those who want modeling versions stay at 5.03 - just as they will if modeling versions are not taken out. Nothing changes for them.

This assumption here is that XL/XL+ code will still have modeling versions moving forward but I/II code past 5.03 will not. It appears that I/II code and XL/XL+ are already different, so couldn't the modeling versions option be present in one and not the other? Is this where the difficulty lies?

It was already explained in past threads. Removing the old versions is for everyone. No just mk1/2.

Thanks guys - Cannot say enough good things about this constant development.

Pauly

Release Notes:

Greatly improved Wah block. Two new parameters have also been added: “Coil Bias” parameter allows the user to adjust the DC offset of the virtual inductor. “Low Cut Freq” sets the highpass filter due to the input coupling capacitor. It is recommended that existing presets be auditioned and, in most cases, deselecting and reselecting the desired model to reset dependent parameters.

Improved Amp block output transformer to power tube interaction modeling. This results in less “smear” in the overtones when the virtual power tubes are driven into clipping.

Improved Amp block plate clipping modeling. New algorithms more accurately replicate the gradual onset of clipping and never fully hard clip resulting in a more dynamic and “open” tone. Note that the increased dynamics may result in some amp models having higher peak volumes which can result in clipping with existing presets. To remedy this simply turn down the Level control in the Amp block.

Recalculated Amp block preamp tube parameters. The “12AX7A SYL” (Sylvania 12AX7A) is now the default type as we think it sounds the best.

Improved background calculation accuracy for cathode follower parameters.

Added Solo 88 tone stack type (the Solo 88 Rhy and Lead models previously used the Solo 100 tone stack which has a different treble taper and load resistance). The Solo 88 Rhy and Lead models now default to that tone stack type.

Added Monitor tab to Tone Match block. This tab allows the user to monitor the difference in frequency response in real time. This can be used when matching real amps to identify differences in tone stack response due to manufacturing tolerances, etc.

Fixed wrong snubber cap value in Recto 2 amp models. This changes the default High Cut value to 10 kHz.

Fixed bug that could possibly cause crashes/lockups.

NOTE:

This update will NOT change the sound of existing presets as the amp modeling version will automatically be set to the version when the preset was created. To use the new amp modeling set the Modeling Version parameter in the Amp block to “Latest”. When selecting new amp models the Modeling Version will be set according to the Default Modeling Version in the Global menu.

If that is how it is implemented, I could see your frustration, although historically we ONLY had one version and had to choose to upgrade or not.

I thought it was more a compiler directive like below which wouldn't affect XL:

#ifdef mkii
don't include vers 2, 3, 4, 5... code
set to latest
#elseifdef xl/xl+/AX8
include vers 2, 3, 4, 5... code
set to version
end
I am only guessing but for 5.03 it was stated that firmwares prior to 15 (if I remember correctly) were removed from the firmware to make more room for the II models, but you can only choose to select a limited number of firmwares in a preset, and the options don't get close to 15, seems like q1 is the oldest choice. this makes me think that they are needed to load prior presets.

Dammit - can someone please comment on the fw please ?

As usual I'm travelling so can't check it out myself.....

I'm not sure what the bug fix was, but I've had a bad crash not too long ago on 5.03 which took a restoration and some prayer. Hopefully the beta fixes that, although Q6.0 certainly still have it's own lifecycle to production. Thank you FAS/Cliff & Co.! :D

And if anyone is counting, as an XL+ user, I don't need access to older F/Ws within the software. Especially if that helps our brothers and sista's on Mark I/II series AXEs. I do worry it's not how many people complain, but "who" would complain. No insights here ... just wandering into turf I probably shouldn't. ;)

I am only guessing but for 5.03 it was stated that firmwares prior to 15 (if I remember correctly) were removed from the firmware to make more room for the II models, but you can only choose to select a limited number of firmwares in a preset, and the options don't get close to 15, seems like q1 is the oldest choice. this makes me think that they are needed to load prior presets.

Those version numbers were just pseudo code, not actual versions. :)

Hmm, if this is the end of the road, that's okay, I've had a good 3.5 years of updates, I expect a few MkI/MkII units will be appearing on Ebay shortly though.

I'll just keep my MkII and wait till the next major model is released, whenever that is, can't justify another £2300 just for the sake of firmware updates. Also Dollar/Euro vs GBP is a nightmare for buying stuff from the US right now.

Last edited:
Mark 1 owner here too. I'm ecstatically happy about fw5.03. I've been on this merry-go-round a long, long time since the very early days of Ultra.
I always thought that I would stick with my AxeFx II Mk1 regardless of being left behind but, now that day has arrived, I'm having doubts. I'll always be wondering how those new wahs sound. In all honesty I don't need even more amps and I always use the latest firmware even if it means re-tweaking all my old presets. Another part of me suspects that I wouldn't read/lurk here anymore so I could avoid the temptation and jealousy. (I'm addicted to reading here, and the old forum, everyday since early 2007) Conundrum!
Well, even if I never upgrade then I bow before Cliff and his stellar team for the best product I have ever owned and the 'supreme platinum standard' of after sales service. Thank you Sir Clifford Chase.

Thanks for the continual work on this product, Cliff and company! One more reason (of many) to be glad I upgraded from Mk 1 to XL+ :)

Back
Top Bottom