Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 6.00 Public Beta

As much as I F5 and I still land on page 3. ;-)

I still marvel at the dedication to improvement that FAS puts into their products. And the math...can't imagine the math that allows for dynamics of valve circuit behavior vs. static mappings. Many Thanks Cliff and Co!

Last edited:
My day off tomorrow shall start with what seems to be the weekly firmware update
200.gif

None of what I'm about to write is at all critical, I'm a very strong Fractal supporter and extremely grateful for years of updates. But just throwing in my two cents since it seems we've hit the edge (was hoping the last update bought a lot more space). I think the debate about the old firmware versions is a really disappointing reason for MK I/II owners to get left behind in new amps and modeling updates. To be honest, the way the modeling version crept in is entirely a nuisance to me. It was much more straight forward prior: update when you can, and expect to have to update your presets. If that is not feasible, hold off on the update. I'm going to migrate to an XL if this is the last update, but I would honestly prefer the Firmware versions be removed regardless. Not trying to be critical, but it is somewhat of a bloated feature to me and just an unnecessary parameter to have to keep in mind when I update and scroll through my existing presets. I want the latest, I want my Axe to sound as close as possible to the amps it's modeling and I embrace every little minor detail or gigantic change in sound, otherwise I wouldn't be updating. If this were not the predominating philosophy, then I don't understand why such subtle gains continue to be made in the modeling. In the past, no matter how trashed my presets became it's always been worth it. I was happy with the presets I made on FW 8 when I bought it, but they're so much better now it's ridiculous, and I've redone them on every single firmware since happily.

Now all of that said, it may very well be that removing the old models just doesn't gain enough ground. If it's 10 more revisions and an extra two years of support for the MK I/II it's a very disappointing decision to me, especially considering I will go forward with an XL disliking this "feature". If it's just a little nudge to fit one, maybe two more updates, I completely understand the decision because it's just not worth the coding effort to clean it up.

Last edited:
I doubt Cliff will remove the old firmwares, it took too much work in the first place...Not to sound ungrateful. I am very satisfied with 5.03.

I think there may be more to removing all the prior firmwares from the update then ya'll relize(yet I may be wrong). It may be that your presets with older firmware then the new update will all be lost and all the presets on the axe change will be useless. I think this may be why cliff has not removed them, I am sure many would complain when none of there presets worked and all had to be built new from scratch.

Last edited:
I don't comment much on here but it doesn't make sense to me that users who have the option to stay with what they have now are holding back what would seem like majority of Mark I/II owners to get more out of their unit if they would so chose? Either way thanks Cliff for your support over the years!

I think the debate about the old firmware versions is a really disappointing reason for MK I/II owners to get left behind in new amps and modeling updates.
It's not as much a debate as it is a lack of interest in listening to users poop their pants on the forum.

Cliff is in a "Poop-22" -- He's going to get shit either way.

Sadly, it comes down to which side is pooping the most, and are there more of those poopers than the other poopers

Hi Cliff mk 1 user here - just want to say thank you for a great ride. Thank you for the maximising the updates we were able receive. I am so pleased with what I have (and there are almost certainly bigger fish to fry than the issue of losing the old firmware feature [which I never used in fact!]).

Cheers Gilesy

XL:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/6.0/axefx2_xl_Quantum_6p00.syx

XL+:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/6.0/axefx2_xlplus_Quantum_6p00.syx

At this time there is no Mark I/II version as I could not get the firmware to fit in memory. I will continue to work on methods over the coming weeks to remedy this but there are no guarantees that it will be possible.

Quick question about Mark I/II firmwares, if you do end up getting new amps to model is there a possibility of adding those amp models (or effects models) to firmware 5.03? Or would this be too much of a hassle?

Thanks

MkII owner. I don't comment much either. Love the product and support, but always hoped for a Wah update. I always only use latest version, and would think that anyone who is so particular about their tone should own the XL anyway, or just stop at 5.03.

Thanks for all you do Fractal.

Reactions: gpz
Can we expect the axe fx plugin soon in that case? The only reason I'm not moving to the Ax8 is for studio ease of use. If the plugin is coming soon, I'm selling my Mk2 right away.

For those that say 4%, not sure where you're getting this number. There are probably as much Mk1/2 users as XL.
The ones that are vocal against removing the old firmware compatibility are XL users, not Mk1/2. I'm sure 100% would want the get rid of older firmware compatibility.
If Cliff removes the older fw, it will affect XL too, not just Mk1/2.

Back
Top Bottom