Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 6.00 Firmware Released

Mark II user here. Been sad to see this possibly being the end of the line for me when the beta came out and I actually hoped Cliff would release a Q6 only firmware for those who want to go on. Which means I'm super happy we're eventually not left behind - thanks a ton!

I played quite a while on Q5 minutes before installing Q6. I decided I didn't want the placebo effect to happen (aka thinking it's OMG so much better while it actually might be just a tiny difference), so I tried memorising the whole tone and feel of Q5 to see if there's an actual difference this time (also entering sceptical attitude). Immediately after turning the updated Axe on I played the same riff that I jammed before... and within seconds I was smiling like an idiot. The improvement is really there - the tone is less tamed, wilder, livelier; the feeling in the left hand (as some have described in this thread) is also again more 'immediate'. I absolutely love it, it's the best one yet for sure.

When I originally bought the Fx 2 with Quantum 1 installed, I loved it straightaway, but thanks to the unending marathon by the Fractal team I now own an even more incredible machine. Sooo incredibly glad I joined this great company, my tube amp which I'd been happily using for years before has literally been collecting dust ever since I made the switch.

Huge thank you Cliff and FAS! I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my toes!!! Quantum 6 is the bomb!!!

As a long time Mark 1 owner, is it possible to purchase a replacement board to at least get some of the XL+ benefits? I know tne XL has other hardware changes, but that would at least keep my Mark 1 going for anlittle while longer?

Also, I know this has probably been asked and answered already, but did the ability to set a preset to a prior firmware go back to the prsets original firmware version or only say, Quantum 1?

Last edited:
i saw Cliff said in the past:

Due to space limitations in the Mark I/II BOOTROM this firmware is not backwards compatible with presets created prior to firmware version 15.08. This limitation only exists for the Mark I/II. XL and XL+ still maintain backward compatibility.

How far back does the XL go? I've had my Mark 1 since the first publicly released firmware and really have not changed my presets since at least Firmware 15. It would great if my presets sounded the way they originally did - which would be another great reason to get an XL.

Note - sorry to be a thread killer!

The “12AX7A SYL” (Sylvania 12AX7A) is now the default type as we think it sounds the best.

The 12AX7B is close to the 12AX7A SYL but not exactly the same. Regardless, I have added the 12AX7B for the next release (along with an RCA 12AX7A).

Thanks Cliff. :)

This has reminded of several years ago, on a different forum (I'm pretty sure it was The Gear Page), where I suggested in an Axe-Fx related thread to Cliff the possibility of adding the ability to change the virtual pre/power amp tube types/brands in the Amp block. This was in the very early days of the Axe-Fx, I think before even the Ultra was released. Everyone in that thread jumped my shit for suggesting such a thing, telling my how "unnecessary" such a feature would be. I remember Cliff even saying that changing tubes does little or nothing for altering the sound of an amp, and that there were other things at play when they are changed that have a much greater sonic impact than the tubes themselves. Granted, I have found that changing the Preamp Hardness parameter's value in the Amp block, which automatically changes every time a different preamp tube type is selected, makes more of a difference than if you just change the tube type and keep the hardness value constant (I don't remember if this is one of the things he was referring to or not).

Anyway, it always makes me smile when I think back to that and how things have now changed and that "unnecessary" feature is now part of the Amp block (kind of like how I asked for years for the Mesa Boogie Mark series 5 band graphic EQ be modeled, only to be told that it was an inferior design and wouldn't be added).

You know, If Cliff would just listen to my ideas from the beginning, this product would probably be much further along than it currently is. ;):D:p;)

Upgraded this morning. My first impression based on a Solo-100 patch (that I'd been dialing in on 5.03 but was still a little 'wooly'): holy cow! The difference was dramatic. The low mids are now much clearer and have more character ("bounce", I saw it called here). This patch became a little darker sounding, but not woofy at all. Might just need a tad more treble. The stock Double Reverb preset (my go-to clean to monitor while tracking) also sounds great now.

The biggest improvement I see is in playing on neck position humbuckers. They've always been a bit muddy and indistinct in the AFX2, but no more. The neck position on my Les Paul sounds great on any patch I tried it on in 6.0.

Very nice! This came just in time, as I'm starting to reamp the guitars on my upcoming EP. Many thanks to Cliff for making this happen for us Mk 1/Mk 2 users.

I shall call it MinEV

img_8267-jpg.36214

May be FAS will find the solution for Mark users? Deleting previous modeling versions, for example, may be less amps etc..

Not the same. I use the Boss expression pedals with minimum control all the time. I have it attached to the master volume of whatever unit I plug into This lets me have a fixed minimum (rhythm) level and varying amounts of pure volume boost for solos and fills. This strategy has served me well for many years across a lot of devices.
Assuming you are attached to a volume block, how is what you want different than setting the minimum value of the controller as @Admin M@ suggested?

IM going from Q 3.02 to this 6.00. anything i need to know as far as presets changing or anything? or should i be good..Ive backed up everything as well.

Back
Top Bottom