Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 5.03 Firmware Released

Horizontal VU meters are not showing anything, and volume is lower than usual.. Vertical meters look fine, right where they should be, usually are. Could be FW, could be something stupid im doing. Probably the latter. let's see.

I pulled my mono unbalanced cable out halfway, and I am now getting full correct volume. The cable cant be broken.. It's barely been touched ever. I dunno

horizontal VU meters still showing nothing. This is just weird.

reinstalled.. all is well.

Last edited:
For some reason, very high sag level settings on the prior Firmware, of around 8 and above, always reminded me of playing through my setup with the boogie simul class 295, which I noticed as a phenomena when I auditioned it in the music store and then took it home. You know how you pay a bunch of money, and dread getting something home and re-trying it, only to find out it wasn't the same?

Well, in this case, I was immediately reassured. At home playing my guitar through it, and out of a stereo Peavy celestion setup, felt/sounded the same way. (For more breakup, this setup was driven by the MP-1 and then later by the MP-1 into the ART)

I even liked piping some vinyl records and other things through it. That compression I got seems somehow related to the higher SAG settings in alterna-verse Fractal-land.

It could be that it is not really related at all, and has to do with other causes of compression. (certainly I think it was partly within the Boogie, although I think I did audition the thing through the Peavys in the store). It could even be a particular pairing of tubes or the age of the tubes or any number of things I suppose. I'm completely ignorant of all that. But I do know that I am glad to have that extra range on the SAG knob to work with clean-ish guitar sounds. The more high gain stuff likes more of a 2-4 range, for me. But a number of clean amps just feel fantastic with it more crankinzy.

Last edited:
On AxeEdit we could have 2 different color tick marks- one showing default value for that block type (e.g. Specific settings for amp or drive type, reverb type, etc...) and a different color for the last saved setting

I've thought the same thing. That'd be double the polling (in Axe-Edit), but still very useful. On front panel you could have a longer tick mark for default and shorter for last saved. If you're "tone spelunking" it's good to have breadcrumbs to lead you back.

Last edited:
Well, nothing has been changed at all, except the 5.03 update. I re-installed the update and still the issue persusts on certain presets with delay, with self oscillation and the need to crank the master feedback to @40%. I am certainly no newbie to either modelling and using/editing effects units so it's certainly an odd issue.

Well, nothing has been changed at all, except the 5.03 update. I re-installed the update and still the issue persusts on certain presets with delay, with self oscillation and the need to crank the master feedback to @40%. I am certainly no newbie to either modelling and using/editing effects units so it's certainly an odd issue.

Post the preset. I'm sure someone will be able to show you what's wrong in it.

I am just going through the ones that are playing up and adjusting the feedback value, it's just very odd, I only mentioned it as it's a possible bug that someone else might not have come up with as 5.03 had literally just been posted.

As soon as this one came out (like IMMEDIATELY) I updated - then the fix with the same version number was posted and I updated to that the next day. I'm concerned that my sag values are incorrect because I installed the initial release and didn't restore backups before going to the next version.

Someone posted that if we thought our sag values were incorrect we could;
1/ Install 5.02
2/ Back up all the presets using fractal bot
3/ Install (the latest) 5.03
4/ Restore the backups made in step 2

..I can no longer find that post.

Can some one please tell me if that's correct?

Thanks
Pauly

Last edited:
On AxeEdit we could have 2 different color tick marks- one showing default value for that block type (e.g. Specific settings for amp or drive type, reverb type, etc...) and a different color for the last saved setting
hello
how can we do that ? (with imac)
thanks

I tell you every time I play this Axe FX through my Friedmans I'm blown away...
The tone control you have is incredible :D

Hmm. What are the great thing about Sag these days :) As an electronic nerd this basically means (more Sag) that the power supply cannot deliver the right amount of power when needed right? This should act like a compressor almost lowering the output at peak time and raising slowly when the demand for power decreases.. The same as poor capacitors in the power supply not delivering when needed.

What do you use it for in relation to the sound?

Here are some excellent articles on the topic.

It's important to learn about the real thing for yourself, if you can. You can hear, but more so feel the difference.

Then again, what we have been given in the Axe FX is phenomenal. It's incredibly realistic.

One thing that can be nice is to tame high gain amps by increasing sag (and, of course, using less gain).

http://www.aikenamps.com/index.php/what-is-sag

http://www.guitarplayer.com/amplifiers/1017/whats-the-big-deal-about-tube-rectifiers/23811

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5909145.html

As soon as this one came out (like IMMEDIATELY) I updated - then the fix with the same version number was posted and I updated to that the next day. I'm concerned that my sag values are incorrect because I installed the initial release and didn't restore backups before going to the next version.

Someone posted that if we thought our sag values were incorrect we could;
1/ Install 5.02
2/ Back up all the presets using fractal bot
3/ Install (the latest) 5.03
4/ Restore the backups made in step 2

..I can no longer find that post.

Can some one please tell me if that's correct?

Thanks
Pauly
That was my post in the thread that simonp54 started in the Bugs section.

I think my issue was somehow down to the version of Factory presets I had loaded and updated with all FW updates 'in situ' on my AFX since they were fresh loaded from the FAS site back around FW18 or 19 .... anyway you can read my rather long post in that other thread if you've nothing better to do sometime as I explain how I found that out.

But yes ..... the procedure you posted above is what I had to do to fix my issue. But nobody else seems to have experienced it .... so it's very likely you'll be good.

Probably the simplest way to find out if you need to do all that is to have a look at the Sag values in a few presets (custom or factory) in Q5.03.01 and if the Supply Sag values are in the '0.x' range then you'd likely still be experiencing the 'quartering' issue.

Or .... if you've the Shiver Clean factory preset loaded - take a look at it's amp block sag value - the old Q5.02 default value was 3.20 - so the new one would be 1.60 on Q5.03p1 .... if it reads 0.8 like mine did then you'd be better to do the roll back - back up - update FW and re-install backups routine (I checked that Shiva amp model's Sag value a lot during my previous woes - so it's sag value is burned in my brain now!)

It's not a bug. It's on purpose based on the updated range of the Sag.
5.02 with Sag 1.6 = 5.03 with 0.8

Gday Maxdown,

I went ahead and did it anyway (takes a while doesn't it!) just to be safe.

Thanks for the reply
Pauly

That was my post in the thread that simonp54 started in the Bugs section.

I think my issue was somehow down to the version of Factory presets I had loaded and updated with all FW updates 'in situ' on my AFX since they were fresh loaded from the FAS site back around FW18 or 19 .... anyway you can read my rather long post in that other thread if you've nothing better to do sometime as I explain how I found that out.

But yes ..... the procedure you posted above is what I had to do to fix my issue. But nobody else seems to have experienced it .... so it's very likely you'll be good.

Probably the simplest way to find out if you need to do all that is to have a look at the Sag values in a few presets (custom or factory) in Q5.03.01 and if the Supply Sag values are in the '0.x' range then you'd likely still be experiencing the 'quartering' issue.

Or .... if you've the Shiver Clean factory preset loaded - take a look at it's amp block sag value - the old Q5.02 default value was 3.20 - so the new one would be 1.60 on Q5.03p1 .... if it reads 0.8 like mine did then you'd be better to do the roll back - back up - update FW and re-install backups routine (I checked that Shiva amp model's Sag value a lot during my previous woes - so it's sag value is burned in my brain now!)

It's not a bug. It's on purpose based on the updated range of the Sag.
5.02 with Sag 1.6 = 5.03 with 0.8
yes ..... but in my case I started in Q5.02 with sag=3.20 then updated to Q5.03 (the bugged first release) and got sag = 0.8 and then after further updating from there to Q5.03.01 I still had sag = 0.8 and even after rolling back to 5.02 (where the sag values returned to 3.20 which was correct) and then updating to Q5.03.01 I still got the 0.8.

I had to do the roll back - back up all banks - update to 5.03.01 - re-install backed up banks routine ........ but it seems everybody else had not the same issue ... so I'm only putting this out there just in case a few others who might come across the same thing know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom