Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 5.02 Firmware Released

I've tried applying the 5.02 update twice now using Fractal Bot 2.8.0. It looks like it is applied successfully, but after rebooting, Fractal Bot and Axe Edit both show that I'm on 5.01 still. How can I be sure the update was applied?

I've tried applying the 5.02 update twice now using Fractal Bot 2.8.0. It looks like it is applied successfully, but after rebooting, Fractal Bot and Axe Edit both show that I'm on 5.01 still. How can I be sure the update was applied?
On the hardware.........Go to the 'Utility' menu, page right to the 'Firmware' tab.

5.02 was just a bug fix from 5.01. Cliff didn't change the part of the firmware that communicates with Axe-edit what the version is. It is installed correctly .

so I have been using my Axe FXII in 4CM for the last year and 1/2. No modeling. I tried going FRFR with the last band I was just in and it just didn't work for me.
Well that band has imploded so last night I updated to 5.02 and plugged back into my Rokit 8 g2's to see how the firmware.
I must say the JVM and Plexi models sound outstanding. I didn't really have time to go through all of the amps I use as I got kind of stuck on those 2 because they sounded so good. :)

Well I have egg on my face.:oops:
Cliff and Yek commented on my post indicating I use Cab block on with my EV12L's.
Well, the Global Cab modeling was set to Off. I Must have forgot I turned it Off. :confused:

Ha ha - theres some honesty there for ya !
I hear you - I always feel like I continually do stupid shit !
What kind of general adjustments are you making in the amp block to help get a full sound?
I think when I was using the cab block, it seemed to help in that department - but alas - yek was right - once you turn up the volume, it becomes a big ol mess. Now that I'm going back through all my patches and adjusting them without the cab block, I'm finding them to sound a bit thin. I have been increasing depth, bass, and adjusting the low freq in the speaker page, which all seem to help. Anything else I am missing?

Join the club
Anyway, better to use precision eq, perhaps parametric/low cut/high cut eq's, if even needed. Or was that high pass/low pass. Anyway v5.02 "Kicks ass"

Last edited:
Swart Atomic Space Tone, bishes. No idea if anything changed related to it on this FW or even a recent one, but I hadn't fired up that little fokker of a model in ages... so blew the virtual dust off it yesterday... there is something special about that amp. That is one of the cool things about having a lot of amp models that are modeled with a high level of nuance/complexity. It really is like checking out a new piece of gear sometimes or more like opening your closet and finding a beloved old fave you had forgotten you had.

That's still one of my favorite models in the box..

What kind of general adjustments are you making in the amp block to help get a full sound?
I think when I was using the cab block, it seemed to help in that department - but alas - yek was right - once you turn up the volume, it becomes a big ol mess. Now that I'm going back through all my patches and adjusting them without the cab block, I'm finding them to sound a bit thin.
Do they still sound thin when you crank the volume and play with the band?

Do they still sound thin when you crank the volume and play with the band?

Generally, yes. I would say it seems to depend on the model. Some models sound big and full with minimal adjustments - the new Hook 1A would be a good example of that. However there are some models like the silver jubilee that seem to take a significant amount of lower freq adjustment to get more of that tight thump at higher volumes. I think I may experiment with some PEQ's next and see what happens.

Generally, yes. I would say it seems to depend on the model. Some models sound big and full with minimal adjustments - the new Hook 1A would be a good example of that. However there are some models like the silver jubilee that seem to take a significant amount of lower freq adjustment to get more of that tight thump at higher volumes. I think I may experiment with some PEQ's next and see what happens.
Find an IR that suits you better.

I remember back in some of the older firmwares before Quantum the Sliver would rip your head off and had tone for days. It's wimpy to me now.

I only replied because you referenced stable within the context of firmware that will "last us a month" rather than a beta offering. That said, Q5.02 isn't listed as beta.

You certainly don't have to tell me that! I've never been one to think hardware is only useful as long as I can continue upgrading it.
Q5.03 is out, You see? How long ago was this? Did it last a month? I'm still on Q4!! I'll catch up eventually! Cliff is always working hard!

Back
Top Bottom