Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 5.02 Firmware Released

For many players, feel and tone are the driving force that fuel inspiration, while for me it's always been tone almost exclusively. Interestingly, it's difficult for me to fully gauge the quality of my own tone while playing. I find I'm much more objective and capable of judging tonal quality when listening via a recording either through the Looper block or in my DAW.

I agree 100%. Well said.

Interestingly, it's difficult for me to fully gauge the quality of my own tone while playing. I find I'm much more objective and capable of judging tonal quality when listening via a recording either through the Looper block or in my DAW./QUOTE]

Thats right, thats why I do all those videos with my smartphone to judge which version sounds best, and its often a different one as the one I was playing. I play mainly live, so my priority is set to my loud and live tone. ;)

EDIT: sorry I must have done something wrong. The bottom line in the above Quote is supposed to be my reply actually.

Hi. Yeah, this type of Fuzz is not for every application. I find it's best on a clean amp. It's too muddy if there is preamp distortion on the amp. I love me a good fuzz, though. I've even recorded them direct.

I have a Big Muff, plus the Soul Bender and a really cool boutique one called the Fuzzmite. Also one someone gave me made from a fuzz taken from inside a Vox Phantom. They're all a bit different, but they work better on a clean amp setting.

The typical '60s fuzzes work well playing single-note lines with a second guitar playing chords. The Pi Fuzz you could use to play chords with. I think the early Smashing Pumpkins had a Big Muff on some tunes.

I got my Big Muff around '73, with a Small Stone phaser because of Ernie Isley. His strat playing through the Big Muff and phaser (I think he used a Maestro phaser) is incredible.

I got my Big Muff around '73, with a Small Stone phaser because of Ernie Isley. His strat playing through the Big Muff and phaser (I think he used a Maestro phaser) is incredible.

Yeah, man. Now you're talkin'. That's a great recording and that's a great guitarist. I read a funny passage in a book once about them. They ended up being managed by Bill Aucoin, the guy that managed Kiss, and they ended up spending so much dough on fur coats (they used to come to business meetings dressed head to toe in their furs), Cadillacs and other luxuries that it pretty much bankrupted them. They have some great recordings though. Their cover of Summer Breeze kicks ass. Ernie's heavily featured on that as well.

PS, I have a Small Stone too. Bought it used in LA about 10 years ago. It's an extra small body. The writing on the top is cut off. Somebody whittled it down to size! Sounds great though.

As I said before, loving the updates. I compared 4.0 to 5.02 and noticed a upward shift in the midrange (maybe 400-ish to 800-ish), plus a tightening of the focus. The result puts the midrange on a bunch of amps into what is, dare I say, "The Sweet Spot".

Last night's gig was a 4,000sf venue with distributed PA speakers where I typically go direct to their system and use an FBT floor monitor. To test 5.02, I ditched the floor monitor, set up one of my mains behind me off to the right, turned it in a bit and cranked it up.

I didn't get to all 20 of the amps I use, but everything sounded spot on and felt marvelous. The Marshalls, Voxes and the one Boogie I use all sound angrier in the most satisfying way. And the Fenders had smooth highs and a more musical midrange. Dynamic response was really nice. Thanks Cliff!!

Just blown away by the improvements. I was working on some patches for the weekend & find myself using the Hook more and more. The JTM45 cranked to about 9 - 9.5 sounds so good that I couldn't stop playing it. Incredibly good stuff! :)

Just blown away by the improvements. I was working on some patches for the weekend & find myself using the Hook more and more. The JTM45 cranked to about 9 - 9.5 sounds so good that I couldn't stop playing it. Incredibly good stuff! :)

Yeah, I'm diggin' on the JTM45 right now. Sounds awesome!

Who's that Lady...!!! Voyage to Atlantis!! :blush:

For many players, feel and tone are the driving force that fuel inspiration, while for me it's always been tone almost exclusively. Interestingly, it's difficult for me to fully gauge the quality of my own tone while playing. I find I'm much more objective and capable of judging tonal quality when listening via a recording either through the Looper block or in my DAW.

Completely normal - you are using a different part of your brain.

Back
Top Bottom