Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 5.00 Public Beta

Yes, there's some wrong parameter values in that model associated with the new modeing. You don't need to roll back, just set the Modeling Version to 4.xx.

I realized when switching the Friedman BE V1 from FW 4.xx to FW 5, that the Preamp Bias and the Harmonics Parameter changed. Is this taking place because of the new algorithm for the cathode follower driving stage? What I also realized, when switching between the firmwares on this particular amp model, was that the amp was feeling much stiffer. Does this refer to the rate of change of the anode voltage within the preamp? To make it more "spongy", I always try compensate the "stiffness" with negative values of the Preamp Dynamics parameter.

I have two shows next week and don't have time to tweak my 40 or so presets, so I'll reluctantly hold off until they're done before loading Q5. I'm anxious to try the new Hook models. I feel like a kid standing outside a fenced playground watching all the other kids play and have fun, while I wait on the curb pouting.
Updating won't affect your presets, unless you change the modelling version to Latest.

NOTES:

1. This update will NOT change the sound of existing presets as the amp modeling version will automatically be set to the version when the preset was created. To use the new amp modeling set the Modeling Version parameter in the Amp block to “Latest”. When selecting new amp models the Modeling Version will be set according to the Default Modeling Version in the Global menu.

Hi Cliff,

as a user on bleeding edge at all time I wondered if it was possible to have a global setting to switch between the current behaviour and one where all amp models use the latest modelling regardless of whether the preset was made with an old version.

Maybe I'm just too lazy :)

Cheers
Spence

Reactions: yek
I finally had some free time this morning to play with Q4.01beta for a while. I dropped in on the forum only to find that Q.500b had been posted. Thanks Cliff for finding a way to fit this update into the Mk I/II boot ROM. You rock!! :)

I was happy with the Drive models up through Q4.00 but I'm diggin' the improvement to diode clipping in the Drive block, especially with the Zen Master and the Esoteric RCB.

I'm really diggin' the Hook amp channel models as well. This is a cool addition to the Amp block.

I had a lot of fun playing and checking out the Q5.00b firmware. Great way to start a day off!

Thanks again Cliff for your efforts in fitting Quantum 5.00 into the Mk I/II's boot ROM. This is a fantastic update for the AxeFX II.

My girlfriend thinks it's funny when she sees me squeal with delight when I get a new firmware update.

Looks like my amp collection will just keep growing and growing... it's fuckin' beautiful man.

Thank you so much Cliff and team, y'all keep me inspired

Wow! Can't wait to update. Next Monday. It's grueling being in this sunny holiday resort on the African coast instead of cold and dreary Holland where my mk1 is abiding it's time.

About this backwards compatibility thing, isn't the word "created" causing much confusion and couldn't it be replaced by "last saved"? Is there a difference between an old preset created on something like FW8.x that has been saved on Q4 vs one created on Q4 with the exact same parameters values? Can't see why that would be.

So, isn't it really more a matter for externally saved presets more than for the ones that reside inside your unit, because those inside have been saved several times between FW15.3 and now?

Thanks so much Cliff! It's awesome making a middle ground so the Mk I/II brethren can continue to feel the love. I just loaded Q5.0 and my ears and fingers are getting on even better. To the best damn music company in the world!!
I feel the same - thanks Cliff and FAS. ;)

Can't wait to try this. Brand new XL waiting to be plugged in for the first time sitting on my desk, wife and kid leaving for the weekend. I might just stay in my pajamas all weekend.

Does the improved diode clipping also affect the saturation parameter in the amps?

Master Fuzz?

Has anyone noticed an issue with the Master Fuzz drive pedal in this firmware? It's output and sound are a bit odd, sounds like it's got a battery that's about to go dead any second.
Just increase the level to 7-10 and it sounds great. Does the attack knob on the original one represent drive on the Fractal version?

So nothing changed on the fuzzes after the drive update? I'm not sure, but I think I can hear some difference. Maybe it's just the updated amps.

Thanks for including this FW update for us Mk I owners FAS- it's very much appreciated.
I haven't had the chance to try it yet- hope to this weekend. Thanks for including a drive model update- I'm all for that.

Hi Cliff,

as a user on bleeding edge at all time I wondered if it was possible to have a global setting to switch between the current behaviour and one where all amp models use the latest modelling regardless of whether the preset was made with an old version.

Maybe I'm just too lazy :)

Cheers
Spence

I believe I read in another thread that FracTool can do something along these lines. I can't say for sure though because I don't use it myself.

Just increase the level to 7-10 and it sounds great. Does the attack knob on the original one represent drive on the Fractal version?

So nothing changed on the fuzzes after the drive update? I'm not sure, but I think I can hear some difference. Maybe it's just the updated amps.

Proper fuzzes (meaning, specifically, not the Big Muff) don't have clipping diodes. It would be best described (although not completely accurate) as cascading gain stages.

So you wouldn't expect improvements in clipping diode simulation to change the fuzz drives.

Updating won't affect your presets, unless you change the modelling version to Latest.

I know. I'm just afraid once I hear some of the new stuff I'll want it on my existing presets, then BAM! Tweakfest 2016 will begin! :D Well, that plus I don't want to run beta software at a live show. I can live with Q4 for another little bit.

Back
Top Bottom