Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 5.00 Public Beta

Oh yeah? But can it sound like a Line 6 Spider?
No. The Line 6 Spider was one of those awkward, teenage moments in the world of amp modeling. Like a first acne pimple.

(Can't believe I wrote such a sarcastic thing in such a festive moment. Peering off mount crumpet I guess I've had to think about what I said, and recant. Its hypocritical. I owned a pod and a Rockman and for 12 years I waited to own my first tube amp. Then after 3 years I couldn't afford to keep it due to rent money needed. Finally I got one of those VOX non-tube amps, before discovering the Fractal investment plan. Imagine if I had nothing to practice with, like a lot of people I know.

Indeed, I am grateful for all the effort every music technology developer puts in. I wish you all, both developers and owners and owners to be, a completely unjaded Merry Christmas. May Fractal and community all be blessed, and may big-hearted people everywhere continue to make music).

Last edited:
Master Fuzz?

Has anyone noticed an issue with the Master Fuzz drive pedal in this firmware? It's output and sound are a bit odd, sounds like it's got a battery that's about to go dead any second.

An interesting experience. Is it placebo...?

I seem to have more power with this hi-gain sound, and if I play sloppy it is noticeable, but not as noticeable as with these types of amps prior FW. But somehow I can clean up the slop more easily with right and left hand muting. So weird! Really feels more powerful.

When I disengage the Super OD block it feels a little less so, but I dunno, I still think it has that easier-to-control feel about it.

Placebo? Comments?

An interesting experience. Is it placebo...?

I seem to have more power with this hi-gain sound, and if I play sloppy it is noticeable, but not as noticeable as with these types of amps prior FW. But somehow I can clean up the slop more easily with right and left hand muting. So weird! Really feels more powerful.

When I disengage the Super OD block it feels a little less so, but I dunno, I still think it has that easier-to-control feel about it.

Placebo? Comments?
There have been some gain issues identified with (at least) the Hook and the IIC++, so I suspect there's some core issue making gain exaggerated at some level. I think someone said they had to change the Input Trim from 1.0 to 0.1 (!!), so there's definitely something going on - but Cliff already knows and said it'll be right for the final release of Q5.

There have been some gain issues identified with (at least) the Hook and the IIC++, so I suspect there's some core issue making gain exaggerated at some level. I think someone said they had to change the Input Trim from 1.0 to 0.1 (!!), so there's definitely something going on - but Cliff already knows and said it'll be right for the final release of Q5.
Hope not if that's what it is. I actually like it this way.

OP - "If you are into Master Volume Marshalls and the like (this includes Rectos, Bogners, some flavors of Soldano, and more) then this is the firmware for you. Those models will be much "juicier" now. Fender, Vox, etc. models are unchanged." - I was playing with Soldanos and Rectos specifically, but I think the improved Drive models have a way of enhancing other amp models as well.

It could also be that I had taken a 5 day break from practicing. You know, sometimes it makes for a fresh perspective on playing ability.

Placebo or not, love this FW better than beta Q4!

Last edited:

Only the Hook and IIC++ are affected. There were some bad entries in the parameter data. All the other amp models are fine.

I have two shows next week and don't have time to tweak my 40 or so presets, so I'll reluctantly hold off until they're done before loading Q5. I'm anxious to try the new Hook models. I feel like a kid standing outside a fenced playground watching all the other kids play and have fun, while I wait on the curb pouting.

Back
Top Bottom