Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.01 Public Beta

Well you cleverly waited to the end to bring up the issue...you are trying to do away with the previous amp modeling feature where I for one enjoy the feature a lot. I have many presets designed by other artists using FW 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0. I enjoy not having to change FW the tedious way using Bot...the issue is that people with old equipment want to enjoy all future updates that XL+ users have without paying for it...same old ME ME ME generation BS...
OK, so you are an XL user so there may be a chance that he wouldn't have to remove it from those firmware updates.

And as for the "ME ME" generation comment, I think that's a bit silly since the old firmware versions were packed back into the latest versions as a consolation to the few who preferred those old sounds. Basically the MKI/II user's limited resources are being extinguished in order to accommodate a handful of people. I have no need for those old versions, how is that being anymore selfish than someone who wants them? And more to the point if there are no chances of updates with those old firmware versions than there is nothing to lose because they can't upgrade anyway.

As far as "wanting something without having to pay" I have no problem buying an XL if I find a need to do so. I was an early adopter of the AxeFXII and was on the wait-list pretty early. I've gotten more out of it than I paid for it and if something new comes out with the XL that I absolutely have to have then I'll upgrade, but it isn't like I decided to buy the first run because it was cheaper; it was because that was all that was available at the time. If I had the choice I would have bought the XL.

more to the point if there are no chances of updates with those old firmware versions than there is nothing to lose because they can't upgrade anyway.

XL users would have something to lose. Note Cliff's comments:

FractalAudio: "What people need to understand is that if the older modeling versions are removed they are removed for all versions including the XL and XL+. It's a shared code base and it's too much work to be putting in a zillion #ifdefs to handle the Mark I/II case."

FractalAudio: "What people need to understand is that if the older modeling versions are removed they are removed for all versions including the XL and XL+. It's a shared code base and it's too much work to be putting in a zillion #ifdefs to handle the Mark I/II case."

What I think he means is that regardless of if its a XL+ or whatever, you can only roll back so far. That is why regardless of what platform your running, provided its Quantum, you can't turn a knob and go back to FW18 or FW14 etc. Apparently the underlying modeling is too different.

As such, if when there is something that replaces Quantum, and someone loads that new hypothetical firmware, even with an XL+ they probably won't be able to turn a knob and go back to Quantum modeling versions

What I think he means is that regardless of if its a XL+ or whatever, you can only roll back so far. That is why regardless of what platform your running, provided its Quantum, you can't turn a knob and go back to FW18 or FW14 etc. Apparently the underlying modeling is too different.

As such, if when there is something that replaces Quantum, and someone loads that new hypothetical firmware, even with an XL+ they probably won't be able to turn a knob and go back to Quantum modeling versions

If that's what he meant then he's assuming that something major will replace Quantum, and further, that it won't be possible to rollback to a previous version if so. Prior to Quantum 2.0 you couldn't select the Modeling Version, so any presets created prior to that are set to Latest.

Last edited:
Ladies and girls, play the guitar and enjoy what you have today on your hands. :D

It doesn't require a Zen master to see that not living the present moment can be a cause for stress, despair, lament, melancholy, anguish, speculation, torment, grumbling and endless chattering ;)

Some thoughts..
Hardware
(1). Is there a way to upgrade the boot ROM to a higher capacity, or (2). any way the USB port can be used differently to add on more space? (Sorry if these are dumb kind of questions, just thinking in/out of the box)
..also will it help to drop the number of presets and cabs to create more space?

Software
3. If the size is bigger because there are multiple modelling versions to choose from, why not have a firmware option with latest additions for MkI/II owners which continues to have all the latest updates, but the older modelling options are taken off?

Last edited:
We went for how long without the ability to choose which firmware modeling?

I own an AX8, and am happy with where it's at now. I am glad to have the ability for future updates, and can't imagine needing the ability to choose which modeling FW to choose to avoid tweaking a hundred presets.

It might be good for XL users if maintaining the old version backward compatibility slows progress of new development. It could limit changes that might potentially break old modeling versions.

It might be good for XL users if maintaining the old version backward compatibility slows progress of new development. It could limit changes that might potentially break old modeling versions.

I doubt it'll slow progress considering the Global “Modeling Version” selection parameter has been around for a few years(since firmware version 12.00).

Honestly, I hope when he releases the next final firmware, he announces it's the last update we Mk I and Mk II owners are getting. Sure, people are saying they are thankful and expressing gratitude for what Cliff has done, but it's spiraled out of control and the entire thread has turned into complete speculation. If Cliff wants to modify the code to make room for another one or two updates, that's up to him. To me, it's not worth the extra hassle. Our units are approaching a dead end and we need to accept it.

I prefer to think of it as now fully functional. What else could make the modeling any better? Serious question.

Well you cleverly waited to the end to bring up the issue...you are trying to do away with the previous amp modeling feature where I for one enjoy the feature a lot. I have many presets designed by other artists using FW 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0. I enjoy not having to change FW the tedious way using Bot...the issue is that people with old equipment want to enjoy all future updates that XL+ users have without paying for it...same old ME ME ME generation BS...

I don't need older modelling versions... I agree with that

Any 'feature' that's been added has been added for different reasons by request from the users (usually). The reason why it was added isn't important (some have babies accidentally). The fact is that many (no one knows the real #s) do use the 'feature'. I find it very useful for recording purposes to match old recordings. I think it's a very nice feature and I would not like to loose it.

That said, I am an XL user that recently sold my version 1 because I wanted more features and the upgrade path. It cost me a few hundred dollars but I bought it from FAS directly which made me happy to support the company. I look at any upgrade to the hardware as my responsibility when Cliff is offering the updates, if my XL isn't able to utilize it and a new box comes out, I'll have to buy it. I certainly wouldn't tell the people that buy a new Axe FX III to compromise ANY of their features just to allow me to be cheap and not have to upgrade the hardware necessary to keep up with the great new software. It's the same with computers and cell phones, cars, etc...

I am a giving person that understands the frustration of feeling left behind. If it meant many, many more updates for the Mark 1 and 2 users, I would probably concede the feature that I do use and love, but I would recommend to those facing this issue, that they start saving a little money or selling something else to get the latest hardware, support FAS and be happy!

If in the future, Cliff comes up with an amazing feature that I MUST have and my current unit does not support it, I fully recognize that is MY problem and I have a choice to make. Usually, I will choose to pay for the upgraded hardware. It's the least I can do for a company that has been so, so good to me.

It seems a shame that the MK2 cant be kept up to date - i understand the issue re boot rom. I also understand that fractal may not have the resources to put guys onto a way of deleting amps from the rom to free up space instead of developing the most current products -

for me however i could probably get away happily with only lets say 20 amps as long as i could choose them - so how about fractal make a special chargeable update for mk1/2 users that allows them to continue updating in a way that they can choose what to include in terms of amps and or load them in from fractool or ax edit?.

after all we already have to choose our user cabs.

this way fractal would be recompensed for an 'unneccessary' but good will software development programme and i personally would be much happier paying for the special update that buying a whole new AX XL+ or AX 3?

seems fair to everyone?

I'm not a long term Fractal user and before I entered the AXE FX arena I used digitech artist, line 6 & tc electronics with my tube amps.

Really (positive!) surprised by Cliff & FAS commitments to give so much value for money in terms of choices, information, support, thinking along with its customer base, updates, Also the forum community is mostly very helpfull. And most of all with the goal of real good high quality amps & tones that keeps getting better and better.

Even giving betas in this forum or information about future business choices. So it really looks like an open attitude. And of course i'm dissapointed as well that in the near future my MK2 will be not getting new FW or extra goodies. But this was also the case with line6 without all the extra amps and goodies.

Lets not jump to conclusions yet & also get facts straight:

1. Cliff just gave heads up
2. upgrade of Boot Rom is not feasible according Cliff
3. Due to the way SW is build its not easy to make mk1/mk2 users separate fron XL/XL+ users
4. XL/XL+ users with loads of presets on different modelling/FW that was introduced as an option should not suddenly be downgraded due to mk1/mk2 users, same with taking out blocks or functions etc..

I'm pretty sure Cliff & FAS will have a look at it, and if not possible that means EOL for new FW. So one have to live with that fact, upgrade to XL(+) or wait on Axe3.

4.01 is again a great FW with some items fixed, improved & will include some new amps!
looking forward to the 4 extra hook models!

Last edited:

How on earth did you decipher any of that from Cliff's comment? What he meant was pretty clear in his statement. While it is possible to have 2 different firmware versions, one for MK I/Ii users, and one for XL/XL+ users, it would be far to much work for them to consider doing it.
nothing mentioned about how far you can roll back etc....

I prefer to think of it as now fully functional. What else could make the modeling any better? Serious question.

Of course it's fully functional. I never once claimed it wasn't. I really have no clue what could make the modeling any better than it is now. That's for Cliff to decide. I've said it several times already, I'm very happy with what I have.

I'm not a long term Fractal user and before I entered the AXE FX arena I used digitech artist, line 6 & tc electronics with my tube amps.

Really surprised by Cliff & FAS commitments to give so much value for money in terms of choices, information, support, thinking along with its customer base, updates, Also the forum community is mostly very helpfull. And most of all with the goal of real good high quality amps & tones that keeps getting better and better.

Even giving betas in this forum or information about future business choices. So it really looks like an open attitude. And of course i'm dissapointed as well that in the near future my MK2 will be not getting new FW or extra goodies. But this was also the case with line6 without all the extra amps and goodies.

Lets not jump to conclusions yet & also get facts straight:

1. Cliff just gave heads up
2. upgrade of Boot Rom is not feasible according Cliff
3. Due to the way SW is build its not easy to make mk1/mk2 users separate fron XL/XL+ users
4. XL/XL+ users with loads of presets on different modelling/FW that was introduced as an option should not suddenly be downgraded due to mk1/mk2 users, same with taking out blocks or functions etc..

I'm pretty sure Cliff & FAS will have a look at it, and if not possible that means EOL for new FW. So one have to live with that fact, upgrade to XL(+) or wait on Axe3.

4.01 is again a great FW with some items fixed, improved & will include some new amps!
looking forward to the 4 extra hook models!

I don't understand how you (or anybody) justify being disappointed about the impending obsolescence. The Mark I and Mark II hardware is dated. And I don't mean any disrespect whatsoever. Just because you bought it 5 years ago or last week doesn't entitle any of us to further firmware revisions. I'd be happy with new amps only. Then again, we have so many to choose from already.

I don't understand how you (or anybody) justify being disappointed about the impending obsolescence. The Mark I and Mark II hardware is dated. And I don't mean any disrespect whatsoever. Just because you bought it 5 years ago or last week doesn't entitle any of us to further firmware revisions. I'd be happy with new amps only. Then again, we have so many to choose from already.
Either you have not read my full post or you can not imagine that I really liked the FW and the goodies that came with these and will stop soon...like anticipation of new toys ;) and now santa stops giving me presents ;)

In no way I am dissapointed in Cliff nor FAS nor the product!

Back
Top Bottom