Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.01 Public Beta

Another issue is, even if I get an XL series device, I will almost certainly sell my mk2. So, the original series devices are still going to be out there and the dude picking it up will probably be a FAS noob, want support, be having his first experience with Fractal, etc. Its not a trade in program, all these old units are still going to floating around, so 'buy a new box' is not really a good solution even if everyone had the money and the understanding significant other needed to make that happen.

I would hope that you as the seller would let the buyer of your mk2 know its reached it's zenith. And as a prospective buyer I would hope they did enough research to realize they are buying a product that has reached it limit and there are additional options if they wanted to be on the cutting edge of development.

Reactions: Ole
My suggestion would be to remove blocks instead, which presumably would be a lot less #ifdefs. Starting with (or a couple of) the Vocoder, Crossover, Megatap Delay, Quad Chorus & Resonator that's not available in the Ax8. Sure, a lot will bitch and moan, but that's going to be the case whatever decision is made, including not releasing any new firmwares. And for those that need these blocks, they can always stick with Q4 which would be the alternative if there's no new firmwares from here on anyway.
i say we don't start eliminating blocks, leave the former flagship be just that. I'm think since the MK I & II are nearing the end of their upgradable life, stop offering various FW versions and stick with the newest and let it die a respectable death. onward and upward.

Last edited:
should features be removed?

Here's my take on it...

The ability to easily switch between modelling versions was never a feature to begin with. It was graciously added by Cliff because people kept saying...'the new versions keep changing the sound of my presets, I want to go back to version x.x'. Which you could always do and still can, by re-installing previous firmware versions with Fractal-Bot, which only takes a couple of minutes.

Prior to the roll-back feature being added, I'm certain I recall reading that the MKI/MKII would be supported for a long time because it had the same processing power as the XL/XL+ and they both shared the same code. The only main difference was the ability to store more presets in the XL/XL+, which most people don't need...myself included. So now that the last few versions of the algorithms are included with each update, the MKI/MKII, which have less ROM capacity, will soon no longer be able to handle the ever-increasing size of the compiled firmware, even with the compression algorithm Cliff added.

It's like saying, I'll upgrade to Windows 10, but I still want to be able to use Windows 8.x, Windows 7.x, Windows Vista, Windows 95 and Windows 3.1. Definitely not necessary, but doable with a boot loader. So in essence, Cliff has added a 'boot loader' to the firmware, so you can easily switch modelling versions. However, unlike my OS analogy, it only takes a couple of minutes to rollback modelling versions in the Axe-Fx, without the 'boot loader', unlike the hour or more it would take to re-install Windows OS versions each time.

So, in my opinion, XL/XL+ users are not really losing any features, you can still rollback modelling versions in a couple of minutes...which in my opinion, with Q4.x is not necessary anyway, it's so easy to dial-in tones now without tweaking advanced parameters.

I see it as a win-win, not a win-lose. :)

The amp modeling and the stock cabs are so wonderful at the moment, I can't fathom that anyone's not able to get the sound you desire. I believe there is enough control and tweaks (if you're not happy with defaults) to achieve any tone.

However I hope FAS can offer other improvements (non-amp/cab related) in future firmware upgrades since the architecture is so similar.

We lose sight of the fact that FAS can only exist and give to us, when we give and support them, which probably takes more than buying an used MK1 and a cab pack.

May I suggest to FAS when they see these situations coming to announce them earlier, as most people would consider upgrading if they have time to plan for it, instead of such an abrupt end. (of course this is completely none of my business :) )

I've hung around here long enough to see that these people (FAS) work their asses off, and you really have something when you buy from them - I love what I have and am super excited to see what comes in the future. The Axe is the SINGLE best guitar product you can own other than your guitar!

What people need to understand is that if the older modeling versions are removed they are removed for all versions including the XL and XL+. It's a shared code base and it's too much work to be putting in a zillion #ifdefs to handle the Mark I/II case.

It would be a great solution. I never tend to go back to previous modeling versions! And I think most of us always go for the latest.

Keep up the good work Cliff! You're the man!

Another issue is, even if I get an XL series device, I will almost certainly sell my mk2. So, the original series devices are still going to be out there and the dude picking it up will probably be a FAS noob, want support, be having his first experience with Fractal, etc. Its not a trade in program, all these old units are still going to floating around, so 'buy a new box' is not really a good solution even if everyone had the money and the understanding significant other needed to make that happen.

Isn't this going to happen regardless? The unit will never be infinitely upgradable.

FAS may keep an eye on the secondary market and how pricing there may affect some other decisions, but it doesn't seem like the company would make ongoing firmware decisions because someone bought a used and discontinued product.

They didn't go out of their way to continue supporting Standards/Ultras with feature updates once the II was released, and while lots of them went on the used market I don't recall that it caused many problems. I could be wrong.

Isn't this going to happen regardless? The unit will never be infinitely upgradable.

FAS may keep an eye on the secondary market and how pricing there may affect some other decisions, but it doesn't seem like the company would make ongoing firmware decisions because someone bought a used and discontinued product.

They didn't go out of their way to continue supporting Standards/Ultras with feature updates once the II was released, and while lots of them went on the used market I don't recall that it caused many problems. I could be wrong.
True, but as long as it is feasible to continue supporting the Mark I and II then it would be a good thing. Even if it is only for a few more versions.

Probably not a popular opinion? I'm delighted with my mk2 as it is, I wouldn't mind if it didn't upgrade. This unit does everything I need and way way way more.

I'm still after 3 years of owning, only scratching the surface of its capabilities/ possibilities.

I feel a lot of my "creative" time is spent trying "new tweaks" after firmware updates, rather than actually playing and making music.

I understand the desire to recreate classic tones etc, but I believe the best guitar tones have still to be discovered, I know all the tools for me to create great tones new or old, live inside my mk2 as it stands and doesn't need to be improved?
If anything needs updating/ improving it would be my musical imagination?

Either Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton will be President of the United States.
My health insurance premiums are going to quadruple next year.
Owner of a Mk II, no more FREE updates.

Today is a good day to die.

Cliff and FAS, thank you so much for all you have done for us. Keep going forward, I think we owe you that.

Here's another vote for removing old modeling versions. I'm grateful for anything and everything we've gotten, and would love to buy the XL+, but I can't justify the money during current state of life with a young family. XL+ = well worth it, if you can afford it.

No sh*t. My response was in direct response to another point. The bottom line is that stopping upgrades on one series of II's fragments the AxeFX2 user base and 'buying a new box' does not eliminate said fragmentation since unlike much older technology, these units will not disappear anytime soon.

This may be inevitable, and if that is the case, so be it. Because, technology. And the Mk1/2's will surely stop out at an awesome end point and they have had an amazing run.

BUT, it is NOT desirable for the FAS user base (or FAS for support or development) to have fragmentation so it is a shame/regrettable if it does have to happen; and the 'solution' of telling people to buy newer II series units does not mitigate that problem and may in fact exacerbate it. So, I think it makes sense to talk here about potential ideas for ways to keep those units up to date and provide that feedback those thoughts to FAS as I am sure they would be willing to consider any good ideas that make their customers happy. And it would be nice to do that without people who don't have the issue interjecting with flippant advice like 'buy a new box'.

No sh*t. My response was in direct response to another point. The bottom line is that stopping upgrades on one series of II's fragments the AxeFX2 user base and 'buying a new box' does not eliminate said fragmentation since unlike much older technology, these units will not disappear anytime soon.

This may be inevitable, and if that is the case, so be it. Because, technology. And the Mk1/2's will surely stop out at an awesome end point and they have had an amazing run.

BUT, it is NOT desirable for the FAS user base (or FAS for support or development) to have fragmentation so it is a shame/regrettable if it does have to happen; and the 'solution' of telling people to buy newer II series units does not mitigate that problem and may in fact exacerbate it. So, I think it makes sense to talk here about potential ideas for ways to keep those units up to date and provide that feedback those thoughts to FAS as I am sure they would be willing to consider any good ideas that make their customers happy. And it would be nice to do that without people who don't have the issue interjecting with flippant advice like 'buy a new box'.

7MKka.gif

Back
Top Bottom