Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.01 Public Beta

It would free up space. Invariably someone would complain though.

If you decide to take a poll on 'reclaim some boot ROM space vs 'retain older modeling versions' count me as one who would rather trade in the multiple modeling versions to reclaim some boot ROM space. This, assuming that the amount of space made available is enough to make the trade worthwhile to those who use the multiple modeling versions (i.e. How much further development support would that recovered space provide?).

As I think about it I don't believe I have ever selected an earlier modeling version there it has been made available. I've only ever used the most current version at each firmware release.

Though not an ideal solution for those using older modeling versions every version released is available for use by simply backing up and installing the most recent firmware in which the modeling version in question was in use. Doesn't help for live use of multiple modeling versions of course (though firmware version Q4.00, as well as version Q4.01thus far, still provides this functionality) but it's a usable solution for recording at least.

Short version: I'd be game for dropping the selectable prior modeling versions to extend further development support for as long as the recovered boot ROM space allows.

Last year, when I pulled the trigger I had the choice between some of the last 2mk2 and the XL+, and I got the XL+ mainly for the faslink, max power and eventually resale price.
I love me today

I try to get in your chair as a mk1/2 owner, but what if Q5 is just too big for it ? It's not going to be stripped to loose functions :)

On the other hand, I totally understand it can be frustrating because the units are not "that old" and are so reliable and durable (and expensive ?), it doesn't feel like use and throw computer hardware.

Anyway, thanks FAS for updates, customer service, you are an exemple

PS : I only knew from FW18 to FWQ4 and can't even imagine how it changed even before :)

"Dear forum members, this forum's population has grown too large.

We can't add any new members. The forum software is not upgradable.

To be able to add new members in the future, we must first throw out a few members to make room.

So let's poll and decide which members must go.

For example, you can choose:

- Those who are seldom seen here.
- Or those who seem to be here all the time.
- Those who do not really attribute to anything.
- Those who you simply don't care about.

In fact you can nominate (or blame) anything, even if doesn't make any sense and won't solve the issue.

Let's discuss."

I'd like to reiterate my comments from a post I made earlier in this thread. I was thrilled with my Mk I when I purchased it new mid 2012 (at firmware v5.00) and I'd still be thrilled with it today if not another firmware had since been released. I am extremely grateful for all of the free updates that have taken place in the 4+ years since my purchase and I'll be no less pleased if Mk I & Mk II development is complete.

I have, as my post above indicates, expressed interest in trading a feature for additional boot ROM space opening up the possibility for further development updates (who wouldn't be interested given the choice). I just want to be sure this expressed interest isn't misinterpreted as ungratefulness. It's nothing more than expressed interest in an idea that might extend further development support for the Mk I & Mk II units. There would be no disappointment on my part if this never came to pass.

One again - thank you Cliff and FAS team for an amazing product and unsurpassed customer support and service! :)

I'm on an XL and I do use the previous modelling option when punching in over tracks recorded with older FW. If it gets dropped then that means potentially needing to re-amp the whole track, or to re-install old FW. I like being able to get new amps without needing to re-dial important patches and to me it fixed the whole update/redial thing.

If old modelling is removed so be it. I'll only update when I have time to redial, just like how it was a while back. But I do use old modelling versions and do find the option useful.

+1 to remove older modeling versions.
When I updated to Q4 I tested carefully all my presets and the result was consistent: I ended up with all presets set to LATEST, I'm agree to remove this option if this allows mark users to have a few more updates...
But I don't want to remove other features like factory cabs or some blocks...it would mutilate our Axes.
XL users opinion also must be heard because is a shared code!

I am aware that this is a little respite only, the end of development will come sooner or later.

When my mark1 will be finallized I will continue rocking very happy with it (While saving a few coins for the third beast haha)

Last edited:
Jeez people, chill out. We've had one hell of a good run with the mark I/II, what else out there gets constant improvements and updates of this calibre for this long?

Rather than badger cliff to do more work for nothing, so you can keep getting stuff for free, how about just sell your Mark I/II, and buy the newest model.

Same here
+1 on latest modeling version, if it is feasable.

That said if (as a Mark II owner) I can not have any update anymore, I could for sure live with that.
Personally and for my use, I will purchase the next generation AXE FX when my current one will be electronically dead. It means maybe never.
I am very happy with my purchase.

If having only the last modelling version can help for a while the Mark I / II owner to get the latest algorythms, then it would be great.
But I also honestly think that I can not have the same expectation with my Mark II as the owner of XL / XK+ which are "newer" generation of AXE FX II.

Well using the Axe since the ULTRA and yet using the Axe-FX MKII, i don't mind to loose the older modeling version. Everybody looks happy with the Quantum 4, i personnally have zero benefits returning to a previous firmware.

It could be managed the old way : you don't like the new firmware, then you goes back to the previous firmware and that's it. Then you wait for a new firmware that please you...

I can understand that some need stability in their setup and want to keep the same basic tone while touring, gigging... but in this case, you simply don't upgrade to avoid surprises...

I've seen major upgrade in the amp simulation since the Axe II has been released, and in the right direction : sounds better, feels better. I've not been spoiled at all and i'm 100% satisfied of my unit.
Fractal made it the right way. I consider that loose the older modeling version isn't a real losse, as the latest firmare is always better. And i still can revert to the previous version if i'm not pleased so...

Stopping FW upgrades for MKI and MKII may push a lot a user to be carefull with their next machine purchase, if i change for a XL+ today, i will probably wait for the Axe III XL also. Double punishment ! Life is hard, but Fractal stuff is good :)

Jeez people, chill out. We've had one hell of a good run with the mark I/II, what else out there gets constant improvements and updates of this calibre for this long?

Rather than badger cliff to do more work for nothing, so you can keep getting stuff for free, how about just sell your Mark I/II, and buy the newest model.
Why do people assume that buying a XL+ is even an option? I know that I can't afford that.

One more Mk II vote to discard older modeling versions.

Would it be feasible to have FW where you can install all but amp and cab blocks? Then using fractal bot or axe-edit, we could choose which amp and cab blocks to load?

Variation: if this were extended to other blocks (I'm sure the 43 reverbs require a good chunk of space - I'd be fine with loading in just one or two of the verbs). What if you could opt out of loading rarely or never used effects?

I put more value on continuing to get updated modeling and functionality on blocks (especially the amp block) as long as possible, over the ability to have so many amp and cab blocks on board.

In any case, thanks again to Cliff and the FAS team for all the work, care and effort. ...and for the access to have this dialogue with you.
Top of the line product. Super happy with it. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom