Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.01 Public Beta

This is in now way complaining.........but,

It does put me in a tough spot. If I stay with my Mark 1 (which is awesome), I won't be able to make any presets with the newer amp modeling, newer amp models, and other new effects and possible controller enhancements. Which will hurt my little preset store.

If I upgrade, I will have to sell my Mark 1 (at the new lower price that will happen as the market gets swamped with other people upgrading) to be able to afford it. Then any presets made with any new firmware will not run on the Mark 1s and 2s. Which will hurt my little preset store.

Was going to try to get an AX8 early next year. But not sure what I will do now? Would love to get an XL+ and keep the Mark 1, so that I could make stuff for both when possible. But I don't see that as a possibility at this time?

Whatever happens, It's been a great run though and thank Cliff and all at @Fractal Audio for the relentless pursuit of tone and great updates and support.

Why not offer presets for the MK I and II using the very last firmware available for it, then upgrade and offer presets for XL users? Why not both?

None of the squabbling is helping anything guys. It just fuels the fire. It's pretty funny watching people show their true colors though. My ignore list has grown exponentially.
If this (your ignore list growing exponentially) is accurate, how do you know we are 'squabbling'? Moreover, if it is "funny" then why get upset? Of course, if you respond to this, we will know you are actually squabbling as well...

I have now been convinced that my original opinion which I voiced so vociferously is wrong. I love Moke's presets! I am with Moke! My apologies Moke (and I strongly recommend you try some of his creations. They are spectacular).

This is in now way complaining.........but,

It does put me in a tough spot. If I stay with my Mark 1 (which is awesome), I won't be able to make any presets with the newer amp modeling, newer amp models, and other new effects and possible controller enhancements. Which will hurt my little preset store.

If I upgrade, I will have to sell my Mark 1 (at the new lower price that will happen as the market gets swamped with other people upgrading) to be able to afford it. Then any presets made with any new firmware will not run on the Mark 1s and 2s. Which will hurt my little preset store.

Was going to try to get an AX8 early next year. But not sure what I will do now? Would love to get an XL+ and keep the Mark 1, so that I could make stuff for both when possible. But I don't see that as a possibility at this time?

Whatever happens, It's been a great run though and thank Cliff and all at @Fractal Audio for the relentless pursuit of tone and great updates and support.

An other way to see the problem is: return to true valve amp and use the Mk I only as an effect unit, as many pros do. You'll have an excellent effect processor that will fit your needs for many years and you'll not be bothered by the problem of not having the last amp modeled in the latest firmware. Personally I will not upgrade to XL+, also because I don't think it will remain the main product for such a long time

Owning the AxeFx II Mk I and MFC Mk I I have no intentions of upgrading anytime soon. The XL, XL+, AX8 and FX8 ALL don't appeal to me.
IMHO the XL(+) is just an AxeFX II with expanded flash rom and larger memory storage for Presets and IR's, thankfully I don't use enough variation of IR's to warrant the price of admission.

Basically looking forward to the next evolution of FAS Flagship Rack!
It could take years but in the meantime I have great tones and effects which is what I bought this for. The FW updates have slowed down a lot as of late but this is the part I'll miss most even though its mostly new Amp models and very little FX advancement/development.
Xmas all year round shall continue for those with new devices. Free ride is over just like the Ultra and Standard AxeFX users.

An other way to see the problem is: return to true valve amp and use the Mk I only as an effect unit, as many pros do. You'll have an excellent effect processor that will fit your needs for many years and you'll not be bothered by the problem of not having the last amp modeled in the latest firmware. Personally I will not upgrade to XL+, also because I don't think it will remain the main product for such a long time
There's always the Helix. Uhhh, nevermind.

127814606985.jpg

I respect Vai as a guitarist. He's a hell of a player, but I've always thought that his tone was terrible. Of course, that's just my opinion. However, I remember reading (a long time ago) that another professional guitarist commented on his skills being phenomenal, but his tone sucked. I can't remember who said it, but I chuckled in agreement. :D

Same here. For the life of me I could not gravitate towards his tone.

Some thoughts..
Hardware
(1). Is there a way to upgrade the boot ROM to a higher capacity, or (2). any way the USB port can be used differently to add on more space? (Sorry if these are dumb kind of questions, just thinking in/out of the box)
..also will it help to drop the number of presets and cabs to create more space?

Software
3. If the size is bigger because there are multiple modelling versions to choose from, why not have a firmware option with latest additions for MkI/II owners which continues to have all the latest updates, but the older modelling options are taken off?
Re your #3, yes, I wonder if there could be an "on"/"off" choice that would simultaneously disable or enable, respectively, the ability to send a new Firmware to the unit...

I say scrap any updates for devices other than the XL+...I mean if you going to be that cavalier with your responses and not attempt to understand that some of us like the feature...well I can be an ass too I suppose...
I'm putting it out there because I wanna hear criticism, but I think the logic holds... There were plenty of people who preferred old modelling through each firmware.

When it becomes apparent that these hangers-on might be holding the thousands of users of the Mark I/II back from ANY more updates however, it really seems like it might be time to reconsider the option at all.

Again I ask: what about people who preferred Quantum 1.0, but want the latest amps etc?

I'm putting it out there because I wanna hear criticism, but I think the logic holds... There were plenty of people who preferred old modelling through each firmware.

When it becomes apparent that these hangers-on might be holding the thousands of users of the Mark I/II back from ANY more updates however, it really seems like it might be time to reconsider the option at all.

Again I ask: what about people who preferred Quantum 1.0, but want the latest amps etc?

Not only are those few people holding thousands back from updates. But if you were to poll Mark 1/2 users I bet 99% of them would say get rid of the old modeling crap and let us have some more updates, I'd also bet more than 50% of of XL users would say get rid of the modeling crap and let them have some more updates. So in a sense a tiny portion of the user base thinks it's acceptable to hold up the majority, and some of those people paid no more than we did for our units but they some how feel superior cuz of some tiny chip that holds more 0's and 1's lol Yikes, talk about ignorant.

Not only are those few people holding thousands back from updates. But if you were to poll Mark 1/2 users I bet 99% of them would say get rid of the old modeling crap and let us have some more updates, I'd also bet more than 50% of of XL users would say get rid of the modeling crap and let them have some more updates. So in a sense a tiny portion of the user base thinks it's acceptable to hold up the majority, and some of those people paid no more than we did for our units but they some how feel superior cuz of some tiny chip that holds more 0's and 1's lol Yikes, talk about ignorant.

If removing modeling versions would add numerous additional updates, I think it would be worth it. If we're talking about an extra 3 or 4, assuming they're not major upgrades, I'd prefer the status quo.

Back
Top Bottom