Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.00 Firmware Release

IIRC, Cliff has also noted in discussion regarding tube type that one of the reasons changing JUST power tube models specifically is more subtle than people expect is because by simply changing tube type you are not changing the stuff you would change to accommodate the power tube change in the surrounding circuit (which very frequently, in the real world, is not possible without physical modifications to the amp)...

So, in my mind, this is orthogonal to the discussion regarding virtual preamp tube rolling that is going on here. IIRC, tube power output topologies vary widely in their tolerance of tube type changes (most of them being intolerant) and are more dependent on circuit changes to accommodate differing tube types. That is not as much the case with the preamp circuit and tubes that we commonly see used for those circuits; which tend to be closely related to the ubiquitous 12AX7 and its variations.

Given this, I would expect preamp gain stages with a detailed and accurate model are going to 'auto-adjust' to the new values. You do not have to rebias your preamp when putting in new tubes; for example. For example I have a tube amp that the manufacturer recommends to rebias on anhy power tube change (ie. when I put in tubes of the same type) and it would have to be modded to accept another tube flavor. But, I'm pretty sure I could just jam a 12at7 into any of the gain stage tube slots with impunity. (New feature idea: multiple preamp tube selections based on the number of preamp tubes in the physical amp. LOL :D )

IRL, many of those 'subtle' power tube changes you can do in the AFX would physically damage the amp; which is why the result is not intuitive wrt real world. I would love to see a tube type change that allowed the amp to use a 'real' swap that made the necessary ckt changes in the power section along with the type change. But that would essentially take us down the road of mix and match preamp/power amps which has been stated here might put Fractal's tech at risk; so I don't think we will see it.

Fun discussion... anyway... I'm sure Cliff and co, have probably mulled this over on their own before and considered the ROI... Can't wait for whatever new awesomeness gets cooked up. ;)

You've got me hooked. What you're saying is basically, that a virtual algorithmic space is the best possible space to create an amp that accomodates virtually infinite power tube variety.

(Lol, or is it that those infinite varieties of glowing virtual power tubes are going to be accommodating us in the future, rather than our software accommodating them? We must stick to user-controllable parameters. [An "AI Axe FX" is a fearful unknown, best kept out of Cliff's mindspace...I say with trembling voice and nervously unintentional string noise. :confused: ])

Last edited:
sarcasm/ Ok, you're gonna have to stop updating the Axe-FX, my tone is perfect, and my OCD won't let me NOT up date. Just stop it. /sarcasm

But seriously, thank you for every update, it is always a joy to discover my tone could be improved, even when I thought it sounded perfect already. It's amazing how subtle things can make a sound go from "OMG, HOLY SHIT", to "OMG, HOLY SHIT... I DIDN'T EVEN... JUST HOW DID YOU??? NO WORDS."

My experience with changing tubes in my triaxis was frustrating, and eye opening.
Any good reasons to believe this? I very much hope it's true, but I'm not near any valid sources, other than this forum. ;)

it's been a while since effects got an injection of coolness.. that's for sure.

My experience with changing tubes in my triaxis was frustrating, and eye opening.

it's been a while since effects got an injection of coolness.. that's for sure.

Yeah, it took me a couple of years of experimentation to get tones I really liked out of all the modes of the Triaxis, I got a lot of good advice on tube choices from another Triaxis owner with the handle Timbre Wolf ( I found him on The Gear Page forums and the Boogie Board of grailtone.com) He put up lots of tube reviews based on his experimentation swapping tubes in his Triaxis. From right to left, (input to output) I wound up with a NOS Mullard 12ax7, a NOS Mullard 12at7wa, a NOS Mullard CV4024, a Tesla ECC803s and an RCA 12BZ7. I play mostly classic pop and classic rock with a Strat with DiMarzio DP187s in all three positions. I've still got my Triaxis, an MB 50/50 and MB 20/20, the Triaxis is set up with the 20/20. Those are the only uses I have for tubes anymore. Has anybody besides me thought of offering Cliff all our spare tubes to support his amp collection?
In the event of a major EMP incident (God forbid), we'll need Cliff to have working amps to start the process of rebuilding our Fractal civilization.

Isn't it how the different tubes affect the rest of the circuit that makes the difference when you swap tubes of the same type?

Since there can be significant differences (even between the two elements in a single tube as has been noted) in the gain, transfer curve, plate resistance, internal element capacitance (Miller effect), etc. as well as several different types of circuits for the various stages (particularly in the preamp), all of this interaction is a recipe for the variances you hear between different types of tubes. Since a tube is able to operate well outside the audio frequency range, it must be the interaction with the surrounding circuits if the response changes when swapping tubes, especially in the preamp, I would think....

At any rate, this is an interesting discussion indeed...

If the AxeFx is using a component based approach (which has been claimed before and strikes me as likely) to where you can swap type... it probably has things modeled to this level of detail already to where you could meaningfully do variants within a type based on measured values...

Yes, exactly. If a tube is 'fingerprinted' with all of it's electrical parameters I would think it could just be 'plugged' in to the modelling since the AFX/Quantum now is a real time Spice/true circuit simulator (along with MIMIC/measured amp data, etc) if I recall correctly.

The "how I think it works" conversations in the new firmware threads always baffle me.

I mean, by all means, speculate all you want, I'm not gonna stop you. But personally, when I get a new firmware, my mind is completely "the-tonzzz-Ima-go-play-guitar." I could not possibly give a single care as to why, or how, as long as it does.

You guys have waaaay too much time on your hands, and that's coming from a stay at home dad/musician, and both my kids are in school, and one of them does half my house work for me. I mostly fold clothes, do band stuff, and not much else, lately.

I mean, the only reason I'm here typing this now, instead of doing band stuff, is that I'm waiting on my bassist to get here, so I can do band stuff.

The "how I think it works" conversations in the new firmware threads always baffle me.

I mean, by all means, speculate all you want, I'm not gonna stop you. But personally, when I get a new firmware, my mind is completely "the-tonzzz-Ima-go-play-guitar." I could not possibly give a single care as to why, or how, as long as it does.

You guys have waaaay too much time on your hands, and that's coming from a stay at home dad/musician, and both my kids are in school, and one of them does half my house work for me. I mostly fold clothes, do band stuff, and not much else, lately.

I mean, the only reason I'm here typing this now, instead of doing band stuff, is that I'm waiting on my bassist to get here, so I can do band stuff.
Many of us musicians are technical types as well. I design and verify digital logic for mobile phones. We have a natural curiosity about hows things work.

More playing with it last night. It does something to the low end, low mids, either more of it or less treble. I had to add some high end to compensate, and pull back depth on occasion.

More playing with it last night. It does something to the low end, low mids, either more of it or less treble. I had to add some high end to compensate, and pull back depth on occasion.

I agree it sounds different, but the big question is, after you've made the tweaks, does it sound better than what you had before ?

For me it does, not hugely different, but a little difference in feel I can notice, and just sounds a little more amp-like (though it was amp-like for years lol)

3.03 sounds better honestly before tweaking, but then when I add some highs back, fw4, gets the edge as the best tone going. It almost gets those early fw2.0 tones which had some fizz, but cut great, keeping those good elements, but with improved feel.

Not really sure yet, need to get it to gig volume and with the band, haven't had a chance for that yet. Next gig Piqua Bike Fest Sept 17.

as Murphy's law would have it... my next show changed to an all acoustic show because our bass player had to travel out of the country unexpectedly... won't get to strut Q4.0 for while

I keep forgetting to download this firmware. I turn the axe on (currently 3.03) and just get sidetracked.

I just haven't made it that far yet lol

I know everyone asks for "amp in the room" but I was wondering Is there a parameter that can make it sound tubier or less? If there is I would just turn it up to 10. In fact, every preset I play now I turn the room and level up to 10 and 100. That's my secret sauce. Anyways just want that woody tube sound oozing from every preset. That's what inspires me to play at least. #crystallattice

Ha! That should be the parameter name. Anyways just curious. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom