Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.00 Firmware Release

All of my custom presets where changed to the Q4. Could this be because I moved the factory banks and use the first bank for custom presets? I do this so the MFC can see them...

Preset made before the modeling version option was added (q2.0.3 was it?) will jump to LATEST. Only presets made after the modeling version was added to firmware will stick to their previous firmware modeling on update.

ok, so I feel really stupid, as I never have issues w understanding updates....... but I don't have an "under the Adv tab of the Amp block". I have looked everywhere. What the heck am I missing? I had my coffee so it's not that:(

ok, so I feel really stupid, as I never have issues w understanding updates....... but I don't have an "under the Adv tab of the Amp block". I have looked everywhere. What the heck am I missing? I had my coffee so it's not that:(

In AxeEdit it is on the Amp block Preamp page in the lower right.

Are some of you guys in like 5 different cover bands at once?

Can't image how the one poster said he would need to go and manually change 512 presents, or even the guy who said he had to change 100 presets....

I am in 1 cover band and like to have a preset for each song (even though many are the same). While playing live I only want to deal with song increase and 5 scenes max per song. We play for 3+ hours and I have about 70 songs that we rotate around.

Now each of those 70 songs I have a preset for Gibson les paul style, strat, tele and My Red Special. This way I can change things up if I want.

Are some of you guys in like 5 different cover bands at once?

Can't image how the one poster said he would need to go and manually change 512 presents, or even the guy who said he had to change 100 presets....

I have about 5 go to presets, with a few scene variations, and maybe 20-25 total presets covering a wide range of styles total. Not knocking anyone for having more, but just curious as to what the application is for needing 100+ presets

It's not really a practical consideration for me since I only have about 40 presets I use regularly. It's more an OCD desire to make sure everything is in lockstep on the unit, if it can be done easily that is :D For example, I have Yek's amp presets in one of my banks and I use them sometimes when I want to investigate a model beyond the handful I regularly use. It would be nice to be able to update them all to the latest preamp version without having to go one preset at a time. That way when I go to them in the future, I can be sure they have all the latest "special sauce" in effect :D
-
Austin

Tone is still awesome as usual but when I tried my Mesa Mark IIC ++ preset it was as if I had pressed the " easy " button. Smoother , faster more articulate feel. It that a result of the " squish ", compression, changes in harmonic structure ? I don't know but it's like the Mesa sweet spot without fussing with knobs for hours and waiting for all the celestial bodies to be in proper alignment for the magic to happen. Cool update.

Yes and I see this as a bug! When I use global amps, I do this to have the exact same sound and settings when I switch between presets. That's what global blocks are for in my opinion.
They will sound the same...as soon as you set the modeling version to where you want it to be after applying the firmware update. It's retained from preset-to-preset, not firmware update-to-update.

Nice feature ... but it would be nice if there was a batch program that would read a CSV (or some such file) file with 2 columns - preset # and modeling version - that would set the modeling version for all the preset #'s in the file.

If you are a new user and are still exploring the factory presets, having to set each one by hand to hear the benefits of new firmware is a pretty daunting task.

I suppose the batch file would have to be integrated into Axe Edit, so that it could access the stored files but it would also be nice to be able to run it on presets stored on external drives so you could audition them in axe-manage without making changes to presets on the hardware.

This may have been mentioned already by someone, if so, I agree!

They will sound the same...as soon as you set the modeling version to where you want it to be after applying the firmware update. It's retained from preset-to-preset, not firmware update-to-update.
I'm not sure I understand your post, sorry, language barrier. I use amps, whose settings are saved as global blocks, in different patches. When I go to e.g. patch no 1, change the modeling version to "latest", save the patch, go to e.g. patch no 2, the same global block still has the modeling version at e.g. "Q3.xx". So not every parameter of the amp seems to be saved in the global block. To me this seems illogical!

Here's a proposal for the Modeling Version parameter I thought I'd share:

For those of us, who want to avoid experiments, provide an option "current", which will become "Q4.xx" after a new major firmware release, or directly name it "Q4.xx", which then should be kept after updates.
For those of us, who love experiments and always want the newest algorithms, use "latest" as an option which will always stay "latest" after major firmware updates, so we always have the latest modelling.

Only question is: What should be set by default when resetting the amp? I would say "latest" is the better choice, because those of us, who don't want the latest modelling, they can simply not update at all. If other improvements (new / better effects, ... ) are the reason for the update, they can still manually change it to "current" or "Q4.xx".

Does this sound reasonable?

When I go to e.g. patch no 1, change the modeling version to "latest", save the patch, go to e.g. patch no 2, the same global block still has the modeling version at e.g. "Q3.xx". So not every parameter of the amp seems to be saved in the global block. To me this seems illogical!
this is most likely a bug. it has been reported.

I'm not sure I understand your post, sorry, language barrier. I use amps, whose settings are saved as global blocks, in different patches. When I go to e.g. patch no 1, change the modeling version to "latest", save the patch, go to e.g. patch no 2, the same global block still has the modeling version at e.g. "Q3.xx". So not every parameter of the amp seems to be saved in the global block. To me this seems illogical!

Here's a proposal for the Modeling Version parameter I thought I'd share:

For those of us, who want to avoid experiments, provide an option "current", which will become "Q4.xx" after a new major firmware release, or directly name it "Q4.xx", which then should be kept after updates.
For those of us, who love experiments and always want the newest algorithms, use "latest" as an option which will always stay "latest" after major firmware updates, so we always have the latest modelling.

Only question is: What should be set by default when resetting the amp? I would say "latest" is the better choice, because those of us, who don't want the latest modelling, they can simply not update at all. If other improvements (new / better effects, ... ) are the reason for the update, they can still manually change it to "current" or "Q4.xx".

Does this sound reasonable?
Ah. That is DEFINITELY a bug. My apologies for confusing the discussion.

Subtle for me. Low end, low mid change, to my ear, subtle but sounds good.
Agreed. Very subtle on my main patches. To the point I couldn't really tell as I played and switched between Latest and 3.xxx versions on the fly. Perhaps the changes aren't apparent through some rigs, of course.

Kind of thought there'd be more significant changes, or feature adds due to the major version number increase (as we've seen with previous major version updates). That's not a "bad" thing mind you, just unexpected. This seems to be more of a 3.x.x sort of update. Not complaining. Just thinkin' out loud.

Kind of thought there'd be more significant changes, or feature adds due to the major version number increase (as we've seen with previous major version updates).
historically, it seems that FW number increases come mostly from the Amp algorithms changing, even if only slightly. major function changes - like the addition of Scenes back in FW 9.00 - can push a major revision as well, but it's usually Amp changes.

Do these changes require an updated AxeEdit, or will the previous version have UI components for the changes?

If you want to change the firmware modeling version in your existing preset, you have to use the front panel and edit the amp block.

If you were to create a new preset, and insert an Amp block, it would use the Global version number. If your Global version is set to "LATEST" then a new amp block would use 4.0

I wouldn't imagine Axe Edit will have that level of programming in it, just like several of the more "system-y" type parameters.

Back
Top Bottom