Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 4.00 Firmware Release

Quick question, there's no option in Axe edit to change the modeling version right? Under the amp block there's no longer an advanced tab. I'm not sure how long that options been go :)
So you have to use the front panel correct?

Absolutely! I've tested out a few presets and they sound better/different with the latest firmware. I'd like to go ahead and set every single preset on my unit to the latest modelling. However, that would mean up to 4 changes on each of the 768 preset slots, which is a bit much. It's nice that the latest firmware doesn't force this change on you. But for those of us that want to update everything, it would be useful to have a batch method to do so. Especially if this way of implementing amp modelling changes continues in future firmware updates.
-
Austin

What if there was two versions of the firmware, one that would overwrite and one that wouldn't? I mean it might be easier to produce than updating fractool , but I don't know because I'm no programmer .

I didn't start using an Axe until FW Quantum 1.x .... and as such have no experince with any pre-Quantum FW's ...... but with Q 1.x up unitl Q 3.0x any changes were to my ears at least very subtle and marginal / almost ethereal ..... at most, genlty noticeable, but far from obvious .....

I put FW 4 on yesterday .... and changed all my presets to " Latest " modelliong version and ensured Global was also set to Latest ..... I messed around at low'ish levels in my home studio .... decent levels but far from real-world rock band level .......but I didnt get a chance to check it out at live / loud / cranked up gig level until a few hours ago .... I run my Axe and Kemper with a 1 sometimes 2 Active CLR's.

My absolute first impression at band / live volume levels was ....... whats going on here ? ...... I must have changed something ........ this didnt sound like yesterday when I was noodling around are low'ish volume levels in my home studio.

For the first 5 - 10 minutes I thought .... nope I'm going back to FW 3.03 ....... but I kept playing anywhay for another 20 - 30 mins through my meat-and-potato tones .... took a break .... came back to it ....... went to 3.03 ........ and whether its my mind playing tricks or just audio-placebo, 3.03 sounds and feels "stiffer" ...... took a break ... went back to 4 ........ and I like it :) ........

Like I said, my journey so far has only been Q 1.x <-> onwards ...... but this is the first FW change for me that, again, to my ears, is more than just ethereal / subtle ...... I'm sticking with it ..... I think the squashier / fatter description is a fair one.

FWIW the [ only ] amps I use are Maz 38, AC 30 TB, Dirty Shirly, Atomica, Tucana, HBE, Angle Severe and Triptik Modrn

Ben

Last edited:
Absolutely! I've tested out a few presets and they sound better/different with the latest firmware. I'd like to go ahead and set every single preset on my unit to the latest modelling. However, that would mean up to 4 changes on each of the 768 preset slots, which is a bit much. It's nice that the latest firmware doesn't force this change on you. But for those of us that want to update everything, it would be useful to have a batch method to do so. Especially if this way of implementing amp modelling changes continues in future firmware updates.
-
Austin

i agree. i just had to go through 100 presets and change them all to latest. just playing at quiet bedroom volume, i do notice a nice change in feel...it's subtle, but i'm looking forward to trying it at gig volume this weekend.

I've been very satisfied with 3.03 ( Loving it)! Loaded 4.0 last night and my initial observation is 4.0 is more open and natural both sound and feel, dynamics are better , feedback and sustain is better! 3.03 seems stiffer to me! I'll try at rehearsal tonight at gig volume got a feeling it's gonna Rock!!

Interesting. Usually I install new firmware within minutes of finding it. I've been so happy with the last one that I'm kinda dragging my feet. Looking forward to it, of course...but not so much in a hurry. ;)

Thanks to Fractal, as always.

What if there was two versions of the firmware, one that would overwrite and one that wouldn't? I mean it might be easier to produce than updating fractool , but I don't know because I'm no programmer .

I think that might be confusing and potentially problematic. I'm fine with the firmware update not messing with current presets. That's a good "first, do not harm" way of updating IMO. But having a batch updater after the fact would be nice. Like a tool in Axe Edit and AX8 Edit that would let you highlight the presets (or banks) you wanted and then choose what setting you wanted. If you wanted to set it to "latest", you could. If you wanted to set it to an earlier version, you could do that to. I have no idea what's going on under the hood, so I don't know how feasible that would be.
-
Austin

I must say the new firmware being sensitive to users current presets, is mighty generous. Now there can be no blaming the current firmware release for wrecking your tone, I love it. What will everyone bitch about now, lol? Just kidding dudes, I have no room to talk, since I don't even have one yet. That is my only bitch, hope to change that soon, very soon. Fingers Crossed.

I too think the difference is subtle but an improvement - I can't articulate how yet but I like it better.

All of my custom presets where changed to the Q4. Could this be because I moved the factory banks and use the first bank for custom presets? I do this so the MFC can see them...

I too think the difference is subtle but an improvement - I can't articulate how yet but I like it better.

All of my custom presets where changed to the Q4. Could this be because I moved the factory banks and use the first bank for custom presets? I do this so the MFC can see them...

I don't think so. I do the same thing and none of the presets I've checked were changed; they were all at Q3 or Q2.
-
Austin

Are some of you guys in like 5 different cover bands at once?

Can't image how the one poster said he would need to go and manually change 512 presents, or even the guy who said he had to change 100 presets....

I have about 5 go to presets, with a few scene variations, and maybe 20-25 total presets covering a wide range of styles total. Not knocking anyone for having more, but just curious as to what the application is for needing 100+ presets

Anyone notice the global amps don't retain the modeling version?
Yes and I see this as a bug! When I use global amps, I do this to have the exact same sound and settings when I switch between presets. That's what global blocks are for in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom