Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 3.03 Firmware Release

This has to be the easiest Mark IIC+ model to dial in that I've tried (the ++). I've been searching for this tone for years. Now my GAS for a JP-2C is pretty much cured. Thank you!!!

I thought exactly the same thing. Some Mesa fans will buy an Axe instead of an overpriced JP2C. :)

Last edited:
call me a nitpicker, but this is all James, no Kirk to be found.... So I think it should be called the Hetfield amp, hehe :D

James IS MetallicA. In fact I thought his name was actually James MetallicA when I saw his poster on my sisters wall for the first time in 1994.

I set it up EXACTLY as Mikko did in his video including the Cab Pack 13 IR.

Bloody perfect.
Thank you so much! Honestly it was very easy to get that sound. An easy amp to tweak for sure. :)

Dialed up the IIc++ similar to Mikko's video and was forced to bust into Orion. Couldn't help myself. Two thumbs and one other appendage up!
It was the same for me. I haven't played Metallica riffs in years but for some reason I found myself playing everything from Puppets to Frantic. Rock!! Metalz?!

Fractal Audio rocks! :)

Fractal Audio rocks! :)

Yeah, Fractal Audio rocks definitely !

There are some other modelers who have a IIC+ but the Axe FX will be the unique modeler to have the famous Hetfield IIC++.

Once again, I can't belive it.

Several months ago, Cliff said he would get a IIC+ from John Petrucci to model it. This never happened but now having this unique amp in the Axe is even better (for me).

Cliff, could you please tell us how did you get this amp and why and if possible the characteristics of the beast (simulclass 75 W, push/pull knobs behaviour mod, gain stages mod...)

Try enabling the Fat control on the Mids. Adds a little bit more "hair" to the sound, slight bit more grind on the upper mids (to my ears).

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh holy fuck.

I MADE THAT NOISE.

I can only get Load-Era Metallica noises out of the Hetfield Amp, but I'm certainly not complaining. While those sounds aren't "br00tal" or even particularly thrashy, they've always been some of the best sounds made by a guitar.

Cool update thanks Cliff. Not a huge Metallica fan but love me some Mesa amps. Couldn't get anything but a flubby mess without a drive with the Mesa IIC++ , until I tried Mikko's settings from the video. Nails it for me , key seems to be really high input drive and over drive + somewhat extreme scooped settings on the Mark eq that you compensate for with the BMT settings in the amp block.
off topic but did anyone see Hetfield and Hammett play the National Anthem at the Stanley cup playoffs game 4 ? lol sounded pretty good actually I wonder if they used AXE FX they had er Amps on the ice but would seem a perfect situation to use the AXEFX.

Cool update thanks Cliff. Not a huge Metallica fan but love me some Mesa amps. Couldn't get anything but a flubby mess without a drive with the Mesa IIC++ , until I tried Mikko's settings from the video. Nails it for me , key seems to be really high input drive and over drive + somewhat extreme scooped settings on the Mark eq that you compensate for with the BMT settings in the amp block.
Cheers buddy! Yeah the Mark series amps and all Mesa amps in general are easily misunderstood because you have so many options in there. Getting the aggressive modern high gain sound is only one of the sounds the amps can do so achieving it requires a few tricks here and there and obviously the 750hz knob is the most powerful tool. I have a real Mark IV at the studio and I've owned four (or was it five?) Mark series amps in the past so I'm very familiar with them. Don't be afraid to turn the bass knob all the way to 0 and compensate with the 80hz knob in the GEQ for the tightest sound possible. That's how I do it in real life with the real amp as well. It sounds great. :)

OK this amp kicks major @$$. paired with Ownhammer MES TR 4x12 cab pack and Cab Pack 7. it rocks! I think I have found my new favorite and goto amp! thanks cliff.

Back
Top Bottom