Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 3.01 Firmware Release

I am messing with many more advanced parameters. I realized I can't hurt anything by putting something to extreme boosts or cuts, to learn what effect it has on the tone. Also some of the things Danny shared in his video about Cab block settings. This is by far the best firmware release Cliff & Co has ever done. I mean, to me, it feels WAY better and expressive.

To my ears the old Dyn Pres doesn´t sound like in early firmwares - it´s getting very harsh.....mmh

I'm feeling the same...perceived increased harshness from 3.0, but I fully accept that it might be my ears. That said, even though Cliff has said that the Dyn Pres is the same as it was in 2.04, could it be that the 2.04 default values didn't get reloaded? It seems that the few amps that I use have it set to 0 by default. I could back it off to reduce some of the harshness, but I'd rather stick with the default if I can (so I don't have to adjust it after the next firmware update). Is the default 0 for all amps, and should it be?

RR

Thank you FAS!

Disclaimer - I haven't spent much time, this was just quick (have to get back to work, and looking for any reason to procrastinate) ... but ....

Sounds killer :) - went to the preset #230 Smokin' (Amp1: JCM800) and set the DYN Pres (1.76) and DYN Depth (4.13); just tuned it a bit, (thew in a little xmfr match down (0.864) and that amp just opens right up.

Those values aren't "dialed-in", just the settings I left it at 'cuz of the whole "work thing". I'll revisit in a few hours. Such a fun rhythm song/jam. Didn't play with xfr grind - not sure how much it will impact this amp (my amp knowledge is very limited - learning as I go here).

(Honestly, perhaps "xfmr match" I shouldn't have touched in the spirit of the Boston sound - this patch doesn't need "grit", but I like it. :cool:)

Anyways, thanks a million. Love the work you do.:D

Last edited:
what is the target audience for the 3.x firmware? Is the transformer grind parameter mostly for metal/djent players? Is thsere any reason to upgrade if you are just playing clean and fusion tones?

For example, my primary amps are the vibroverb, ods and suhr badger. Any reason for me to upgrade?

Any reason for me to upgrade?
to stay current. 5.0 may be released down the road and have something you really want. then you'd have to learn everything that changed from 3 to 5.

that's just one way to view it. some people are completely satisfied with a particular version - i know some are still on old 17 for example - and they really don't ever want to update; it's perfect for them as is.

if you are the type to like updates though, i'd suggest updating whenever you can to stay as current as possible. of course your tone might change right now with 3.0, and you'd have to adjust. but you'd be current.

it's really all about what you value from the Axe. no one is wrong with how the do it.

I don't think it has anything to do with music gender. I think it has more to do with real tube response. All my presets have a dynamic punch and warmth, plus a clearer tone to them now. I see no increase or decrease in distortion. It has a tighter bottom, with no boom. I'm primarily classic rock and love the update.

I'm feeling the same...perceived increased harshness from 3.0, but I fully accept that it might be my ears. That said, even though Cliff has said that the Dyn Pres is the same as it was in 2.04, could it be that the 2.04 default values didn't get reloaded? It seems that the few amps that I use have it set to 0 by default. I could back it off to reduce some of the harshness, but I'd rather stick with the default if I can (so I don't have to adjust it after the next firmware update). Is the default 0 for all amps, and should it be?

RR

It's probably because the amp modeling changed and so things don't respond the exact same way as they used to.

what is the target audience for the 3.x firmware? Is the transformer grind parameter mostly for metal/djent players? Is thsere any reason to upgrade if you are just playing clean and fusion tones?

For example, my primary amps are the vibroverb, ods and suhr badger. Any reason for me to upgrade?

I like what it does for the Fenders in my clean presets

RR
I think one problem may be everyone uses different setups. Some use no amp, flat response, solid state or tube amps. Some are headphones, others are nearfield monitors, FRFR cabs, PA cabs, regular guitar cabs with either GT75, V30, GB25, CB65, or any size and style speaker. It all makes a difference. My rig is not going to create the same or similar tone or harshness as someone else's. I use a tube amp and a 4 12 cab with very warm and mellow sounding speakers. If my cab had Vintage 30s or a hi frequency driver in it, I would be hearing a whole different tone.
So it was an welcomed improvement to me, while others may feel different. I personally don't care if my sound is exactly like this or that amp or cab. I want my warm dynamic tube feel that I have been accustomed to for 50 plus years. I say we should trust what Fractal is doing, because in just the short time I've owned my AXE, I hear vast improvements in tone representation. And IMHO, I'd rather do a little tweaking with every update, than miss out on any new feature, no matter how subtle.

I think one problem may be everyone uses different setups. Some use no amp, flat response, solid state or tube amps. Some are headphones, others are nearfield monitors, FRFR cabs, PA cabs, regular guitar cabs with either GT75, V30, GB25, CB65, or any size and style speaker. It all makes a difference. My rig is not going to create the same or similar tone or harshness as someone else's. I use a tube amp and a 4 12 cab with very warm and mellow sounding speakers. If my cab had Vintage 30s or a hi frequency driver in it, I would be hearing a whole different tone.
So it was an welcomed improvement to me, while others may feel different. I personally don't care if my sound is exactly like this or that amp or cab. I want my warm dynamic tube feel that I have been accustomed to for 50 plus years. I say we should trust what Fractal is doing, because in just the short time I've owned my AXE, I hear vast improvements in tone representation. And IMHO, I'd rather do a little tweaking with every update, than miss out on any new feature, no matter how subtle.

No argument. This isn't about whining or complaining about changes. While I admit I would like to do less tweaking, the real reason I ask questions like this is to be sure I'm not missing something - like maybe I was supposed to reset amp parms or the firmware didn't load correctly or my patches have issues. If others confirm what I see, I'll just go tweak. If nobody else notices it, I'll usually take more time to try to understand it.

RR

I am excited about upgrading. I just got my Axe two weeks ago, and this would be my first upgrade. However, the computer I use for audio is still running Windows XP. When I went to get Fractal Bot to do the upgrade, it looks like there's no XP version of Fractal Bot. Is there an XP version somewhere, and if not how could I do upgrades? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom