Axe-Fx II Quantum Rev 3.00 Public Beta

Not with Dual Rectifiers. The "Presence" knob is diabolical. On the physical amp, it's either off or no higher than 9 o'clock for me. I also never take the "Treble" knob past noon. Fizz is an enormous struggle with the real amp.

Now I'm curious to give the Recto models a try on Q 3.0 and see how they respond to the real thing.

I support this point. I'm also struggling with the Rectifier models, when it comes to adjust treble and presence controls. The good thing about the model is that you can handle the massive bass response quite well by increasing the negative feedback and decrease the influence of the speaker impendance. I also use the Definition, Charakter and Dynamics value to make the Rectifier models work for me. But I still can't get to a point to make it sound like as in this video with a Mesa cab miced by a Sennheiser e609:

after adjusting cabinet 55 with the proximity the cab block to 5.0 I am now hearing the clarity and no more excessive fizz or darkness or blanket over the speaker cabinet

ok, this is just plain weird. as others have pointed out, adjusting proximity with mic set to "none" should have no effect whatsoever. it's normal function is to increase low frequencies (you can find out which frequency in the advanced parameters), so even if the mic was set to "null", the high frequencies wouldn't change.

i'm wondering if there is a bug here, which might explain the fact that some people are hearing brighter tones and some are hearing darker tones after updating, as proximity has a new default value (zero instead of 5).

i'm still on 2.04, but could someone who is on 3.0 try moving the proximity control in their cab block (with mic set to none) and see if they can reproduce this behaviour? if you can, please report it as a bug.

Well I'm already half deaf from 50 years loud playing but I tell you i Definitly hear a difference when the mic is set to "None" and turn the Proximity knob.

Well I'm already half deaf from 50 years loud playing but I tell you i Definitly hear a difference when the mic is set to "None" and turn the Proximity knob.
I have an XL (current FW is 3.0 beta) and have just checked but I did not find any unusual behavior i.e. when the mic type is set to "none" the Proximity knob is not active. Just for the test I also sat the mic type to "null" and the Proximity know was doing what it is supposed to do. I tried both Factory cabs, user cabs, mono and stereo (all UltraRes) but all behaved the same (i.e. normal). I was using Axe-Edit during my tests. So perhaps there is a difference between different versions of the Axe Fx? I have a rehearsal tonight and a gig on Saturday and I will use 3.0 beta for sure - it just sounds gooooood
C:\Users\Bruker\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

I have an XL (current FW is 3.0 beta) and have just checked but I did not find any unusual behavior i.e. when the mic type is set to "none" the Proximity knob is not active. Just for the test I also sat the mic type to "null" and the Proximity know was doing what it is supposed to do. I tried both Factory cabs, user cabs, mono and stereo (all UltraRes) but all behaved the same (i.e. normal). I was using Axe-Edit during my tests. So perhaps there is a difference between different versions of the Axe Fx? I have a rehearsal tonight and a gig on Saturday and I will use 3.0 beta for sure - it just sounds gooooood
C:\Users\Bruker\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

The same here with XL...

Hey all

FWIW ....... I only came onboard with the Axe 2 from Q 1.06 onwards ..... prior to that, I was using a unit that was configured for me - but not by me.

From 1.06 onwards, the only adjustments I have made are Bass / Middle / Treble / Presence / Gain ..... I leave everything else stock / defualt.

In my experiecne ..... with my ears ...... and using my Axe 2 with Cab's OFF with a real 2 x 12 Cab ....... all FW's from 1.06 <-> 2.00 inclusive have sounded tonally very similar and not obvioulsy / drastically differnet .... subtle but good changes.

As soon as I put the Q 3.00 PB on ...... everything sounded WAY brighter and seems to lack a bit of mid-range body and width..... this is with all specific amp model FW's set to latest and Global Modelling set to latest in Q3PB

To my ears ..... and the only way I can describe it is that its the only FW Ive used that I have thought that sounded like it has " hyped " or "enhanced / excited" the high-mid and high frequencies.

Ive since gone back to the latest 2.00 and the universe is back in equilibrium .... :)

I think I'll wait for Q 3 final or later and see how it goes then.

Ben

Will the real QV3 please stand up? Not the bass heavy; not the hyped high-end; the one that's not that different than QV2.x. What's going on here?

I've been playing with for an hour now. I can't say I notice a difference from the previous one. It sounded great, and it still does.

My experience as well. It's just really odd that some people are experiencing substantial differences, presumably even after re-downloading and re-flashing.

The same with me - sounds great. To avoid my previous post being missunderstood, when I said I can definitly hear a difference with the Proximity knob and the mic set to "None". This was not meant as a complaint or bug. It's nice for me to fine tune the ir I'm using.

what mic was it set to?

if it was set to None, then the Proximity control wouldn't have done anything. the Proximity at 5 vs 0 also increases low end resonance, so if anything, i'd say it would increase the darkness and blanket.
I've heard this multiple times, but it does have an effect,(it changes the focus of the ir as Scott A.B. said just not nearly as much as
when a mic or null is selected! Some may or may not hear this ,but I hear the difference clearly! Scott you aren't imagining this!

As a matter of fact, look at the factory presets, the mic set to none, proximity setting are anywhere from.75 to 5.00 . If no difference ,why would it have been tweaked? I don't think it's a bug. if so it's always been there!

The same with me - sounds great. To avoid my previous post being missunderstood, when I said I can definitly hear a difference with the Proximity knob and the mic set to "None". This was not meant as a complaint or bug. It's nice for me to fine tune the ir I'm using.
Besides you're enjoying the sounds that comes from turning the Proximity knob with the mic set to "none", that's not how it should work.

Setting the mic to "none" should disable the proximity knob (no change in sound when you turning it).

So if that's happening it's definitely a bug and should be reported. I can't test it I'm on Q2.x yet.

Maybe you would get the same effect setting the mic to "Null" and turn the proximity knob.

Besides you're enjoying the sounds that comes from turning the Proximity knob with the mic set to "none", that's not how it should work.

Setting the mic to "none" should disable the proximity knob (no change in sound when you turning it).

So if that's happening it's definitely a bug and should be reported. I can't test it I'm on Q2.x yet.

Maybe you would get the same effect setting the mic to "Null" and turn the proximity knob.
Setting Mic to null is different, Much more lows when adding proximity. When set to none it changes the character more than adding bass. It's been a while back now, but IIRC cliff changed the motor drive parameter to disengage when set to 0, because it was still coloring the speaker prior to. This seems to be the same scenario.

Setting Mic to null is different, Much more lows when adding proximity. When set to none it changes the character more than adding bass. It's been a while back now, but IIRC cliff changed the motor drive parameter to disengage when set to 0, because it was still coloring the speaker prior to. This seems to be the same scenario.
From the manual:
PROXIMITY – Simulates the classic proximity effect, causing an increase in bass or low frequency response as proximity is increased. The PROXIMITY control has no effect when MIC TYPE is set to “NONE.”

That's how it should work.
Maybe the bug appeared some firmwares ago and noones noticed it, or maybe Cliff changed something about that and we didn't knew it.

Back
Top Bottom