Axe-Fx II Quantum Rev 3.00 Public Beta

Hey all

FWIW ....... I only came onboard with the Axe 2 from Q 1.06 onwards ..... prior to that, I was using a unit that was configured for me - but not by me.

From 1.06 onwards, the only adjustments I have made are Bass / Middle / Treble / Presence / Gain ..... I leave everything else stock / defualt.

In my experiecne ..... with my ears ...... and using my Axe 2 with Cab's OFF with a real 2 x 12 Cab ....... all FW's from 1.06 <-> 2.00 inclusive have sounded tonally very similar and not obvioulsy / drastically differnet .... subtle but good changes.

As soon as I put the Q 3.00 PB on ...... everything sounded WAY brighter and seems to lack a bit of mid-range body and width..... this is with all specific amp model FW's set to latest and Global Modelling set to latest in Q3PB

To my ears ..... and the only way I can describe it is that its the only FW Ive used that I have thought that sounded like it has " hyped " or "enhanced / excited" the high-mid and high frequencies.

Ive since gone back to the latest 2.00 and the universe is back in equilibrium .... :)

I think I'll wait for Q 3 final or later and see how it goes then.

Ben
I noticed the same with less mid body and width plus more brightness as well. Still sounds good.

Will the real QV3 please stand up? Not the bass heavy; not the hyped high-end; the one that's not that different than QV2.x. What's going on here?

Yes I am reading so many conflicting opinions that it drives me crazy! This is so with almost all new fw but lately it is getting out of hand it seems. Of course you have to find it out for yourself but it makes me less interested to update to new FW...also the possible bad install that I read a lot about worries me...

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, look at the factory presets, the mic set to none, proximity setting are anywhere from.75 to 5.00 . If no difference ,why would it have been tweaked? I don't think it's a bug. if so it's always been there!

It IS a bug according to the response to my bug report a month or so ago. The value really should start at zero. It's an additional layer of EQ. If it proximity were supposed to have any affect in the "none" position, there would have been no need to add a new "null" position later on.

If proximity is affecting sound when in the "none" position, from what I understand that is a bug too.

Remember, it's a public beta, it's not offical new firmware.

Don't load the beta firmware if you're worried.

correct. That's why I never load beta fw. But these conflicting opinions (and bad install comments) is something that seems to occur more lately. Not only on beta fw

correct. That's why I never load beta fw. But these conflicting opinions (and bad install comments) is something that seems to occur more lately. Not only on beta fw

On the other hand, always install the beta FWs and have never had a problem. I see myself as a medium to heavy tweaker too so would be most likely to hit an issue. Quality wise I'm pretty happy still!

From the manual:
PROXIMITY – Simulates the classic proximity effect, causing an increase in bass or low frequency response as proximity is increased. The PROXIMITY control has no effect when MIC TYPE is set to “NONE.”

That's how it should work.
Maybe the bug appeared some firmwares ago and noones noticed it, or maybe Cliff changed something about that and we didn't knew it.
Agreed, that's how it should work !

It IS a bug according to the response to my bug report a month or so ago. The value really should start at zero. It's an additional layer of EQ. If it proximity were supposed to have any affect in the "none" position, there would have been no need to add a new "null" position later on.

If proximity is affecting sound when in the "none" position, from what I understand that is a bug too.
I agree! At 0, or more realistically, none selected it should be totally out of the circuit.

I'm fairly new, but I've loaded every FW since Q1 and only ran into one issue (the NAME TIMEOUT on the MFC on Q2.04, which I believe was rectified by an inadvertent reset of the MFC when I was fumbling around in there).

I have no fear of updates, because I can always load the back-ups I have created. I generally have a lot of excitement and anticipation for listening and exploring the changes/improvements in modelling.

Like many "tools" I find it's really about the Indian, and NOT the arrow. I've raced cars, and shot long-range precision rifles at over 1200 yards and there is always a degree of competitiveness which drives GAS no matter the vocation/avocation. But, ALWAYS it is the Indian and not the arrow.

The F/W updates are fun, cool and I look forward to them, but as they say in racing, "The only nut I have to tighten is the one behind the wheel." ;)

Last edited:
Yes I am reading so many conflicting opinions that it drives me crazy! This is so with almost all new fw but lately it is getting out of hand it seems. Of course you have to find it out for yourself but it makes me less interested to update to new FW...also the possible bad install that I read a lot about worries me...

What I meant was more of an engineer's diagnostic comment - is there a problem here? Is it the nut behind the wheel (I'll admit, I'm always skeptical when people say they have this problem or that when I have none)? Or, is there, in fact, some kind of weird problem that presents differently (too bright, too dark)? I like thinking about patterns and problems. Please don't read any more into my comment than that. My advise: don't worry. BAck your stuff up. Try the beta. You know you want to. Just do it. Cliff releases these to us to spread the joy. Let's enjoy!

Hey all

FWIW ....... I only came onboard with the Axe 2 from Q 1.06 onwards ..... prior to that, I was using a unit that was configured for me - but not by me.

From 1.06 onwards, the only adjustments I have made are Bass / Middle / Treble / Presence / Gain ..... I leave everything else stock / defualt.

In my experiecne ..... with my ears ...... and using my Axe 2 with Cab's OFF with a real 2 x 12 Cab ....... all FW's from 1.06 <-> 2.00 inclusive have sounded tonally very similar and not obvioulsy / drastically differnet .... subtle but good changes.

As soon as I put the Q 3.00 PB on ...... everything sounded WAY brighter and seems to lack a bit of mid-range body and width..... this is with all specific amp model FW's set to latest and Global Modelling set to latest in Q3PB

To my ears ..... and the only way I can describe it is that its the only FW Ive used that I have thought that sounded like it has " hyped " or "enhanced / excited" the high-mid and high frequencies.

Ive since gone back to the latest 2.00 and the universe is back in equilibrium .... :)

I think I'll wait for Q 3 final or later and see how it goes then.

Ben
Have you checked if your power amp modelling is still turned on, under global settings or amp block setting with sag > 0?

I am truly enjoying the way all my presets in the Beta 3.0 world are sounding, I did some minor tweaking of course, but who are we kidding, thats what we love about the Axe FX, we can tweak it to death!!!!

I've been noticing this now since I've got the Axe in 2012. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but for me there is change in tone when I turn the knob up or down. In my experience always turning the Proximity down made it thinner und brighter und turning up fuller and slightly darker. For me this has never been considered as a bug. And as @RDH said, if you look at the factory presets, on many the proximity is set to 5, but also they are quiet few where proximity is set to a different number. So there must be a reason for it. Some factory Marshall presets have proximity even set to "0".

here is a vid I did this afternoon with fw 3.0 and I'm absolutly amazed with the feel, tone, sustain and feed back I'm getting. I forgott my guitar strap again, thats why I'm sitting down. But even 3-4 meters away from the cab I got instant sustain and feedback. Also I've not noticed anything sounding darker. For me it sounds like a real amp - sorry it sounds better. I've played on the weekend with a 100W Mrashall head (JCM 900) and 4x12 Marshall box and after an hour I had to say sorry to the guy and used my Axe FX again.

Last edited:
Remember, it's a public beta, it's not offical new firmware.

Don't load the beta firmware if you're worried.
Agreed. I'm thankful for those in the community that delve into the beta versions, but it's not something I could do. Q1.02 was where I joined the Axe community, but I've always held off on betas and waited for the finished versions. Mostly because I'm a dinosaur, but also I'm too ignorant and tone deaf to know whether or not a bug is really a bug.

And, from my understanding, Axe Edit isn't updated to reflect new features in beta FWs, it only comes after official non-beta FWs.

please direct all PROXIMITY related comments here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/cab-block-proximity-control-q3-0b.113703/

Cliff, Simeon and I have all tested the Proximity functionality with the Mic set to NONE, and it is working as expected: when Mic is set to NONE, the Proximity knob has no affect on the sound/tone/anything.

if you have set your Mic to NONE and then change the Proximity parameter and hear a difference, please post in the thread i just linked, please post a preset, and if you can please post an audio or video showing the behavior. there are too many variables here with people just saying words, and some are confusing NULL with NONE in the mic setting.

again please post any comments regarding the Proximity control in the thread i'm linking, NOT this 3.00 thread: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/cab-block-proximity-control-q3-0b.113703/

Ya know, another thing I noticed when I went back and reviewed presets was my 'modeling version' varied from preset to preset even though I had it set to latest and had made no tweaks to the parameter in any prior flash/update (saw some others with this too). Between this, the Dynamic Presence update, and maybe the proximity effect (which is still in question, I 'spose) seems like a number of sources could account for some of the wide variation, so far.

I've gotten my gotos well aligned enough that I am not planning a roll back; had considered waiting the beta out after my initial update-shock so I guess we're all a little different and some updates are more noticeable/work for some than others. In fact, I had not planned on loading the beta but since Danny used it in his video I actually upgraded after hearing his sounds there. Shrug.

I've been noticing this now since I've got the Axe in 2012. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but for me there is change in tone when I turn the knob up or down. In my experience always turning the Proximity down made it thinner und brighter und turning up fuller and slightly darker. For me this has never been considered as a bug. And as @RDH said, if you look at the factory presets, on many the proximity is set to 5, but also they are quiet few where proximity is set to a different number. So there must be a reason for it. Some factory Marshall presets have proximity even set to "0".

here is a vid I did this afternoon with fw 3.0 and I'm absolutly amazed with the feel, tone, sustain and feed back I'm getting. I forgott my guitar strap again, thats why I'm sitting down. But even 3-4 meters away from the cab I got instant sustain and feedback. Also I've not noticed anything sounding darker. For me it sounds like a real amp - sorry it sounds better. I've played on the weekend with a 100W Mrashall head (JCM 900) and 4x12 Marshall box and after an hour I had to say sorry to the guy and used my Axe FX again.

Like I used to say when I lived in Deutschland, "Wunderbar!". :)

please direct all PROXIMITY related comments here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/cab-block-proximity-control-q3-0b.113703/

Cliff, Simeon and I have all tested the Proximity functionality with the Mic set to NONE, and it is working as expected: when Mic is set to NONE, the Proximity knob has no affect on the sound/tone/anything.

if you have set your Mic to NONE and then change the Proximity parameter and hear a difference, please post in the thread i just linked, please post a preset, and if you can please post an audio or video showing the behavior. there are too many variables here with people just saying words, and some are confusing NULL with NONE in the mic setting.

again please post any comments regarding the Proximity control in the thread i'm linking, NOT this 3.00 thread: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/cab-block-proximity-control-q3-0b.113703/
I tried it today and nothing changed to my ears. Axe FxII mark II

Back
Top Bottom