Axe-Fx II Quantum Rev 3.00 Public Beta

When I first uploaded the firmware, I was turning up the wrong knob and wondering why the tones didn't sound right. :) Once I started adjusting the correct knob, I was loving life. I noticed that the newest change allows me to get clarity with one knob that used to require Pick Attack, a treble adjustment, crunch, etc. I still used those but wasn't as necessary as it was on previous firmware updates.

Damn it....I have a gig tomorrow, but I'm at my computer with my Axe right now.....decisions, decisions.....

I don't see the Dweezil on mine... Hmmm. Did I do something wrong? Joe
The amps are alphabetical, did you look in the D's? Sometimes the transfer doesn't take and you have to do it again. Hope this helps.

Presets are set to latest if you created the preset after the update :)
I think because I downloaded the bank A, B, C recently (after Q2.02 apparently), and set my Global to "Latest" this makes all my preamp pages show "Latest". Since then I haven't had time to try any of my older presets because tweaking is so fast.

With my Uber, I had to turn up the mids and gain a smidge with Q3. But the Presence knob has a huge impact on the Uber, so messing with the Dynamic Presence was always gonna have a bit of a change.

I'm pretty sure I dig this and regard it as an improvement.

Not this time. I am listening to my AX8 with FW2.02 and Axe FX2 with Q3 beta. The difference is definitely there.
Yes, I aggree. Had my first gig last night with the Q 3 beta and it´s quite more clear, less gain (i only tweaked a few amps, the most settings were from 2.04), easier to to play with long notes and sustain, sounds more direct - but it shows more the mistakes of your play....

The combo Amps - as Cliff said - have more changed with the new Powerampsimulaton than the big tops.

I can hear and feel it also with default settings on dynamic presence. thumps up for the beta !

Last edited:
Damn it....I have a gig tomorrow, but I'm at my computer with my Axe right now.....decisions, decisions.....
Do it.....it´s stable with MFC, works with both Inputs at the same time (two guitars in band)....there´s a little bit less gain on the amps, that´s the olny thing you should concern.

Honestly it's really stable and sounds great, plus you don't have to do any massive overhaul to your existing presets. Just keep a backup in case you don't feel the same way, but I am pretty sure you'll be ok with this beta.

I had put amp 2 in the preset under V2.x. They are in parallel, with only one being used at a time at this point.

I did a reset to the amp 2 block using Axe-Edit and the tone went away. All is fine now.

Update - The tone went away because the Presence went back to its default value of 5. When I lower it down the tone comes back. The lower the presence control, the lower the tone frequency. I think it is probably still there with a presence setting of 5; it's just too high to hear.

Wanting to confirm this isn't a preset problem, I went to factory preset 1, added Amp 2, set it for 5153 50W, added a second cab, and rolled the presence down. Sure enough, same problem. I think it's a bug. Can someone else confirm?

Edit - the tone is much softer than the guitar tone so crank your monitor volume up to hear it.

Update - The tone went away because the Presence went back to its default value of 5. When I lower it down the tone comes back. The lower the presence control, the lower the tone frequency. I think it is probably still there with a presence setting of 5; it's just too high to hear.

Wanting to confirm this isn't a preset problem, I went to factory preset 1, added Amp 2, set it for 5153 50W, added a second cab, and rolled the presence down. Sure enough, same problem. I think it's a bug. Can someone else confirm?

Edit - the tone is much softer than the guitar tone so crank your monitor volume up to hear it.

This is a known bug and has been fixed for the release version. It only happens with two amp blocks in a preset and only with certain amps. So, if you can, stick to one amp in a preset for now.

One of the biggest patterns of improvement I've seen in the past few is that it is easier and easier to dial in the trebles well, without being strident. Before, I spent a lot more time trying to find perfect
IRs that were notched just so for some amps. Now I can use a wider variety of IRs with the same amp, and I don't worry about stridency.

Q3 seems to add quite a bit in this way, so even on presets where I used to use negative dynamic presence values, I am not missing the negative value as much as I thought I would.

New Dweezil amp is very cool, too!

One of the biggest patterns of improvement I've seen in the past few is that it is easier and easier to dial in the trebles well, without being strident

I'm finding the exact same thing over the last few versions as well. I've never liked a lot of Presence (be it a modeller, real amp) but find the Q3 Dynamic Presence awesome and applied to it all my presets last rehearsal. Gives just the right amount of sizzle to cut thru with the band (there is another guitar player too) without being objectionable.

One of the biggest patterns of improvement I've seen in the past few is that it is easier and easier to dial in the trebles well, without being strident. Before, I spent a lot more time trying to find perfect
IRs that were notched just so for some amps. Now I can use a wider variety of IRs with the same amp, and I don't worry about stridency.

Q3 seems to add quite a bit in this way, so even on presets where I used to use negative dynamic presence values, I am not missing the negative value as much as I thought I would.

New Dweezil amp is very cool, too!

Yep, that is exactly what I was doing. I was always using Clark Kent's "GIFT IR" in the past (great IR BTW) pretty strictly since it had more presence, etc. Now I can use tons of IRs and there is some wiggle room with bringing the tones up front.

Back
Top Bottom