Axe-Fx II Quantum Rev 3.00 Public Beta 2

I thought of a solution last night. I will add a mode to the Character Type that reproduces the old Dyn Pres.

If you're going to that extent, I'd rather have both.

I really like the new Dyn Pres, but I appreciated having the ability to add some brightness whenever I picked. Especially on something like a Bogner it kinda gave the illusion that the amp was brighter than what it was.

If you're taking requests ( :p ) I reckon a good compromise would be to leave Dyn Pres as it is and add a new knob called Pick Brightness.

THAT SAID: If my understanding on how the old one works vs. this new one is completely wrong then ignore me completely. I'm just saying what I used the old one for.

I had a play through of our set yesterday and to my ear, although only at 'home levels' all my presets sounded and felt 'softer'. I can't think of how else to describe it, slightly less 'bite' and aggression. Not bad just different.
I had reloaded the amp blocks, and I played with the harmonic setting which improved things slightly.

Couldn't wait til the weekend so I updated to Q3.2 beta last night around 9PM.. when my hands stared getting tired, I looked at my phone to see what time it was.. It was 3:06AM! Ugh it was hard getting back up at 5AM this morning to start my day haha. Played all those hours and not one "Name Timeout" error!!!! Not to mention things sounded different, but in a great way. I pretty much stayed on 3 presets the whole time (Lonestar lead, USA Brt+ or whatever it is, and Uberschall). Man the Uberschall model sounded crazy mad crushing. The punch coming from my monitors felt like standing in front of a real cab (also using cab pack 9 on that preset). Can't wait for the official release of Q3.

one way round this is to maybe have a switch to change the dynamic pres control between "original" and "authentic", where original is how it used to be and authentic is the new transformer based modelling. we have the same thing for saturation. i doubt anybody would want to use both types at the same time and we don't lose anything. just a suggestion.

one way round this is to maybe have a switch to change the dynamic pres control between "original" and "authentic", where original is how it used to be and authentic is the new transformer based modelling. we have the same thing for saturation. i doubt anybody would want to use both types at the same time and we don't lose anything. just a suggestion.

Good idea. I think it would "ideal" and "authentic" though. "original" loses meaning after the next rev?

Dynamic Presence is now dependent on power amp overdrive. If you are using Master Volume amps and not driving the virtual power amp hard the Dynamic Presence control will do little to nothing. You gotta get the virtual power amp cooking for it to work. See the release notes in the OP for details. The original intent of the Dynamic Presence knob was to provide a means of adding the dynamic treble boost that we've observed when measuring real tube amps. We've now figured out what exactly is going on in the tube/transformer/speaker interaction and the new Dynamic Presence algorithm simulates that. As with a real amp this effect only occurs when the power amp is working hard.

You can use the Character controls to achieve the same effect as the old Dynamic Presence. Set the Character Type to Shelving, set the Character Frequency to 10 kHz or so, adjust Character Amount to taste.
Cool. Thanks for the settings on the CHARACTER control. It didn't quite do what the old Dyn Pres did though. The Dyn PRES was a gem I really started using to brighten up the tone out of a cab with my power amp. It made a world of difference just moving it up to 1 and made the tone really close to my actual 5150III 50w I have.

I would say, if its problematic to have both, this is a great alternative indeed. Somehow in the new method we get something more like the realism deal (arguably giving a much more organic sound and impact), whereas in the "original" dyn pres, its sort of like a "control-ability ideal" in the sense that a user has more assured direct impact on the setting regardless of the spread of possibilities. (I usually side in favor of organic, but also like cvontrol-ability).

Possibly, just maybe having both might result in a "too much highs" situation, with certain amps if the settings were arbitrarily turned up.

On the other hand, is it possible that Cliff could simultaneously offer the two algorithms - many users would want to typically leave the new dyn presence engaged a little, and a user would merely reduce orig dyn presence if this combined effect would be too much?

Just thoughts.

Boy, its really rude to talk about what a programmer could do. This is, like, the worst thing to read as a programmer. I'm having a feature request hangover.

Thank you very much Cliff, I really liked The Dyn Pres knob response on FAS Modern III I actually found my sweet spot when reduced The Pres knob and then increased The Dyn Pres knob in the first Qb.

Just want to throw this out there, because we move forward so fast that we forget where we have come. For anyone who has only recently got an Axe-FX, you can't imagine how far we have come. I wish I had recordings of years ago compared to now. Tons more amps, tones more tone, tons more erections....I mean....tons more tone.....

#romanianreaper, I'm right with you. I am a very picky individual when it comes to tone. I never could warm up to the AXE or any other modeler and I've tried many. But this latest model and firmware is scary good. The only thing I'm worried about now is if Fractal creates an AI guitar player robot.:eek::D

#romanianreaper, I'm right with you. I am a very picky individual when it comes to tone. I never could warm up to the AXE or any other modeler and I've tried many. But this latest model and firmware is scary good. The only thing I'm worried about now is if Fractal creates an AI guitar player robot.:eek::D

LOL AI will put us all out of work!

I remember when I first heard recordings of the AXE FX I laughed, they sounded horrible to me, worse than a cheap VST sim. This was when the AXE first came out. It wasn't until I started seeing youtube videos of FW 15 and so (From G66 and Tom Quayle, etc.) on that I started hearing something that sounded like an amp. Early 2015 I bought one.

Best ever. I'm probably going to sell my tube amp and cab.

LOL AI will put us all out of work!

Don't hold your breath. We've been through this before. AI proponents overpromise and underdeliver. Google "AI winter"...

That said, AI innovations do eventually go mainstream, but it can take decades. Speech recognition, for example, has become ubiquitous after many, many false starts.

Um, OK... Sorry. Back on topic:

I remember when I first heard recordings of the AXE FX I laughed, they sounded horrible to me, worse than a cheap VST sim. This was when the AXE first came out. It wasn't until I started seeing youtube videos of FW 15 and so (From G66 and Tom Quayle, etc.) on that I started hearing something that sounded like an amp. Early 2015 I bought one.

Best ever. I'm probably going to sell my tube amp and cab.

File this under "credit where due": I had a similar early reaction to the AxeFX. Several of my friends bought very early releases of the AxeFX. I had quite a few opportunities to play their gear; I always walked away underwhelmed. In fact, I bought a Boss GT-8 after auditioning an early incarnation of the AxeFX (and still believe that was, at the time, the best choice for me).

I don't know where the exact tipping point was for me. I remember playing a friend's AxeFX II -- the firmware revision was somewhere in the early double digits, IIRC -- and thinking, "Hey, now... That's sounding pretty good!" Less than a year later I bought a II XL+.

What's most interesting about all this is to look at how far all of the "big company" modelers have advanced since the first AxeFX shipped. In a nutshell: not much at all. I swear that Boss really does very little aside from taking advantage of the incremental cost benefits of updating hardware. They seem to be all about trade dress. Line6 makes a lot of claims about firmware improvements that, IME, have never translated to improved performance. I haven't yet played a Helix, but I did take a chance on an HD500; that unit went back for a full refund after three days. Digitech seems to be in the same mode as Boss, except without the gratuitous price hikes.

Meanwhile Fractal has been continuously improving the product in meaningful ways (i.e. not "hey, look, here's the same thing in red!") with feedback from its users. What really impresses me is that the product development seems to be guided by measurable criteria. Science FTW! :)

Oh yeah: I no longer have any "real" amps, but I do have a couple of other "high-end" modelers that are collecting dust.

Anyhow, all of that is my overly wordy way of saying, "Thanks, Fractal!"

Anyone else having an issue running two amp blocks but not being able to turn one off with Q3B2?

Back
Top Bottom