Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.04 Firmware Release

I’m by no means against accuracy; I just think it would be very limiting to only do accuracy when with such a powerful tool at hand the sky’s the limit. It’s not a question of one or the other, when you can have both, use your fantasy, create something new. It’s the goal one is after not the path.. Just saying

Besides that I’ve already got my tones nailed and my happiness goes back a ways on the Fractal time line, this is just for sake of discussion..
You just described what the Axe-Fx already does and can do.

Today I had some time to go back to some stock presets that I haven't used in awhile, just really exploring 2.04 and the latest presets updates.

The stock preset, #123 "Andy's Message", was my go-to starting point for any Police covers when I first got my Axe-FX. I loved the Double Verb Vib and I thought that this preset "out of the box" nailed the feel of early Police songs. For quite some time though, this preset has not sounded exactly "right" to me. The Double Verb Vib developed a kind of muddiness that I could never quite dial out, even with repeated firmware updates, factory resets, tweaking parameters, and re-installations of factory presets. You name it and I tried it. It was never "bad"; I just felt like some "magic" was lost somewhere in the updates.

Well, the MAGIC IS BACK !!!

I damn near wept when I tried the 123 preset this morning! It sounded that good! Same guitar, same cable, same "stock settings", same player (me). The muddiness was gone and the old sound I remembered had returned, except even better. I even went back to some old recordings I had made to A/B the sounds just to make sure my mind wasn't playing tricks. No mind tricks, it's just that good!

Congratulations to Cliff and the FAS team! I don't know what you did, but whatever it was, keep doing it :)! Don't know if it's 2.04, the new Ultra Res IR's, or Cliff's new super water-cooled PC imparting magic mojo, or all of the above, but ALL the amps and cabs are sounding great!

Can't wait to see 3.00 !!

Reactions: RDH
I’m by no means against accuracy; I just think it would be very limiting to only do accuracy when with such a powerful tool at hand the sky’s the limit. It’s not a question of one or the other, when you can have both, use your fantasy, create something new. It’s the goal one is after not the path.. Just saying
I believe the ability for this is already there, (user achievable) there's just no one doing it for us!

Maybe it would be possible to return the modeling choices we had quite a few FWs ago ("ideal", "smooth", "ideal/smooth" etc.)?

I think (nothing personal) that this would be silliness and really missing the plot of the what the Axe was conceived to be, the most accurate emulation of specific amp models on the market.

I don't think it makes sense to try to be all things to all people. Cliff has a specific vision of the ultimate accuracy and that has what he has been working tirelessly to achieve. If some people don't like, frankly....too bad for them.

No one has to update after all. If someone doesn't want an accurate model and instead wants an idealized version there are plenty of other options on the market. To each is or her own, I'm certainly not saying those people are wrong in what they want, there is certainly something to be said for that.

At the same time, Cliff can't reach his goal, and seemingly the goal of the majority, if he's being pulled in multiple directions. Every time he has to stop and try to include old models, backwards options etc, its time that he's not working on moving forward.

2 steps forward, 1 step back isn't really practical. It should (IMO) be full speed ahead. Get on the bus, or get off if you don't like it. Cliff's way or don't update. He's got great taste, great ears and is smarter than all of us combined. I 100% will follow his lead as to what sounds "better". He's never let me down or steered me wrong since I've owned the unit.

The Axe should be a magic black box with the most accurate reproductions of nearly every amp on the planet. That should be its claim to fame and what it does better than anything.

Not everyone wants that type of collection though, some people probably are happy to just have a couple of somewhat generic amp models that sound good. For those folks, maybe something like AMplifire is a better option, certainly a cheaper one.

The Axe should be (again IMO) a collection of accurate amp models, warts and all, for players who really want to appreciate all those subtle differences and the "warts". If a real world amp is fizzy and harsh, the model should be too.

I think (nothing personal) that this would be silliness and really missing the plot of the what the Axe was conceived to be, the most accurate emulation of specific amp models on the market.

I don't think it makes sense to try to be all things to all people. Cliff has a specific vision of the ultimate accuracy and that has what he has been working tirelessly to achieve. If some people don't like, frankly....too bad for them.

No one has to update after all. If someone doesn't want an accurate model and instead wants an idealized version there are plenty of other options on the market. To each is or her own, I'm certainly not saying those people are wrong in what they want, there is certainly something to be said for that.

At the same time, Cliff can't reach his goal, and seemingly the goal of the majority, if he's being pulled in multiple directions. Every time he has to stop and try to include old models, backwards options etc, its time that he's not working on moving forward.

2 steps forward, 1 step back isn't really practical. It should (IMO) be full speed ahead. Get on the bus, or get off if you don't like it. Cliff's way or don't update. He's got great taste, great ears and is smarter than all of us combined. I 100% will follow his lead as to what sounds "better". He's never let me down or steered me wrong since I've owned the unit.

The Axe should be a magic black box with the most accurate reproductions of nearly every amp on the planet. That should be its claim to fame and what it does better than anything.

Not everyone wants that type of collection though, some people probably are happy to just have a couple of somewhat generic amp models that sound good. For those folks, maybe something like AMplifire is a better option, certainly a cheaper one.

The Axe should be (again IMO) a collection of accurate amp models, warts and all, for players who really want to appreciate all those subtle differences and the "warts". If a real world amp is fizzy and harsh, the model should be too.
Well put, lqdsnddist. I couldn't agree more.

I'm still on 2.02 and getting seks tones.

If 3.0 is more & better, I'm all for it.

BTW, trainwreck models with HRM tonestack... cleans, crunch, hit it with the BB pre or Zen drive for leads... money.

Also agreed that accuracy is the best policy.

For those who don't want that, the other options (including NOT updating FW) may be a viable solution.

But, I liked those modeling options we had. Of course, that was pre-Quantum, and Quantum has proven to be awesome.

My reasoning for really appreciating those modeling options were to help eliminate "crispies" (which are actually part of the true amp tone). However, the excessive amount I was getting has been resolved by better gain staging, in which the VU meters have helped greatly.

Maybe it would be possible to return the modeling choices we had quite a few FWs ago ("ideal", "smooth", "ideal/smooth" etc.)?
It would seem that being able to choose any version of amp modelling is going to get confusing for a new user. Maybe this is something Cliff is already thinking of in some way or other - but taste is so subjective. My head hurts just thinking about the awesome responsibility Cliff has to please every single one of us and still be home in time to prepare a deliciously modeled supper, so important for the cat in his life.

Yes it will get confusing, I remember back when we had this choice before quantum, and in a few months it was all wiped out.

It's an impossible and thankless task, for sure.

I don't have any real need for it, personally. Those who don't want to re-work their patches can either not update, or, if the ability to choose modeling version continues to be included, that's the solution.

I just keep rolling with it, and enjoying the updates.

Last edited:
The thing is, when we get big overhauls on modeling features like this the FAS amps get better too. They aren't "impossible" amps. They just use modeled circuits and components that would cost insane amounts to build in the physical world.

I'm fairly certain somewhere in this thread that Cliff said FW choices would remain intact.

To what end though ? Only 2.0 and 2.01 ? What about the guy who still likes FW18 or something ? What about the guy who still loves a certain model in FW9 ?

What if Cliff's option is either the 3.0 or just 2.04 ? What about when he's up to 3.01 and 3.02 and then 4.0 and 5.0 etc ? Where does it end ? Will Q2.00 and 2.01 modeling be an option FOREVER moving forward ?

Just seems to open up such a bag of worms and regardless of what you do, surely someone, somewhere is going to feel that what they like/use is left out

To what end though ? Only 2.0 and 2.01 ? What about the guy who still likes FW18 or something ? What about the guy who still loves a certain model in FW9 ?

What if Cliff's option is either the 3.0 or just 2.04 ? What about when he's up to 3.01 and 3.02 and then 4.0 and 5.0 etc ? Where does it end ? Will Q2.00 and 2.01 modeling be an option FOREVER moving forward ?

Just seems to open up such a bag of worms and regardless of what you do, surely someone, somewhere is going to feel that what they like/use is left out

there's an archive of old firmware's, so just load the old and moldy version of your choice. Or accept progress toward realism and accuracy. No one is forcing anyone to do anything. If you are happy just don't upgrade?

The thing is, when we get big overhauls on modeling features like this the FAS amps get better too. They aren't "impossible" amps. They just use modeled circuits and components that would cost insane amounts to build in the physical world.
You know, it would be cool to see a 3-D vid with explanations of the components and features of these impossible and expensive models, that clearly show dedication to Fractal customer satisfaction as their primary goal, just like Chrysler Automotive demonstrates in this vid of an actual, and non-virtual working high performance system:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Back
Top Bottom