Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.04 Firmware Release

the thing is that using an axe od into a real amp yields better dynamic response than going with a real pedal into the axe amp, that's why I think the limit is not within the drive block, but it's in the interaction between distorted signal going into the axe amp sim. For example, if I try a ts9 or a sd1 into a real amp they sound much different than if I run them into the axe amp, same thing if I run the axe ts808 or super od into a real amp, if that makes any sense. And just to be clear, I'm not saying this is an issue, I'm just saying that would be the last improvement I could think of!
I think there has been an improvement in that direction already. at least to my ears (I use a lot of external drive pedals as well). it happened around the time when the guitar volume knob/amp interaction improved as well. things got far more dynamic. so I don't think it's 100% a/d conversion related.
I've done tests with my old TS10 against the Axe's TS and the results were very similar when running a real vs. the modeled OD in front of an Amp sim. one thing that may react differently to a real amp is when using an OD mostly as a boost on high settings. some real amps may have a different headroom and therefor just react slightly different. but simply using pedals for dirt, the gap is very small...

I'm a bit scared to release this. It's so accurate but some of the models are plain nasty, just like the amps. Spitty, fizzy, scratchy. The 65 Bassman sounds completely pissed off.
Let's have an experimental beta try and find out where it goes and maybe why ...
Maybe the general amp settings have to be redefined ?

So I never played the Bassman before yesterday, why I don't know! but Ive found with my LP Standard its a match made in heaven! I'm more of a high gain player but this amp just sounds so sweet when starting to break up, so to Cliff or anyone else here what cab would you suggest to pair this with? At the moment im using a factory 1x12 tweed mix and really like it, always on the lookout for suggestions though. Thanks.

I'm a bit scared to release this. It's so accurate but some of the models are plain nasty, just like the amps. Spitty, fizzy, scratchy. The 65 Bassman sounds completely pissed off.

Hmm.. Accurate is not always necessarily better.
Do you think if technology like the Axe would have existed back in the 60s or so, guitar tone/character would have evolved like it did, or would the tonal/character/feel content be somewhat different of those we are so desperately trying to "accurately" model or copy now?
I think that some would have taken this opportunity to avoid or maybe differently implement some of those tone/character shaping nonlinearities.

Sounds like the Axe needs an accurate/optimized switch?
Just my 2 cents...

Just my 2 cents...

Not a bad idea! Agree with you that accurate is not always better. Do you want the 'bad' things or noises of the original amp? Me not. I have not even heard most of the original amps in person so how can you tell if it's accurate or not? What matters is a good sound.

Do you think if technology like the Axe would have existed back in the 60s or so, guitar tone/character would have evolved like it did, or would the tonal/character/feel content be somewhat different of those we are so desperately trying to "accurately" model or copy now?
I think that some would have taken this opportunity to avoid or maybe differently implement some of those tone/character shaping nonlinearities.

Just my 2 cents...

Considering the whole point of the axe-fx II is to emulate valve amplifiers, accuracy is pretty important. As it stands, there are plenty of things you can do with the axe-fx II to make it sound completely unlike any amplifier on the planet. There's already a selection switch for authentic/ideal on the preamp compression type. You have almost unlimited action on various power amp and preamp parameters that you could never fuss over with a real amp. So yeah - I'd like it to start from a more authentic base if the modeling can provide it. I can alter anything I really want after that point.

Just my 2 cents...
"Perfect" looks good on paper, but in the real world, our ears are used to hearing abnormalities and that's what makes things interesting. Take the plugin market for example. The top companies are cranking out emulations of old vintage gear and claiming to be the most faithful to the actual unit (Slate).

I personally don't want perfection. I want an accurate model of an amp, warts and all.

If you want perfection, then use the FAS models.

Just my 2 cents...

Although I respect your opinion, I strongly disagree. IMO, the whole point of modeling something is to get a close as possible to the modeled device. The Axe provides the necessary tools to idealize the amps, it takes time to understand and master them, but they are there.

Furthermore, gettiing as close a possible to the modeled device is an objective goal, while "what sounds and feels best" is a subjective goal. Once again, I am not arguing that you are wrong, I totally respect and understand your position; is just that I think that trying to reach "the best sound and feel" is an impossible goal.

Just my 2 cents...

There already are "ideal" vs. "authentic" parameters, e.g. Saturation.

So, in a sense, your point is already proven :)

I understand where you are coming from. It's a fine line between 100% accuracy and not introducing problems, the problems that tube amps inherently have, that are not desirable. For example, some parasitics contribute to desirable tone, others add anomalies like hum and buzz.

"Perfect" looks good on paper, but in the real world, our ears are used to hearing abnormalities and that's what makes things interesting. Take the plugin market for example. The top companies are cranking out emulations of old vintage gear and claiming to be the most faithful to the actual unit (Slate).

I personally don't want perfection. I want an accurate model of an amp, warts and all.

If you want perfection, then use the FAS models.

Wasn’t looking for perfection, just exploring the what ifs, besides that there is no such thing as a perfect amp, just one’s personal perception of what is perfect for himself..

Although I respect your opinion, I strongly disagree. IMO, the whole point of modeling something is to get a close as possible to the modeled device. The Axe provides the necessary tools to idealize the amps, it takes time to understand and master them, but they are there.

Furthermore, gettiing as close a possible to the modeled device is an objective goal, while "what sounds and feels best" is a subjective goal. Once again, I am not arguing that you are wrong, I totally respect and understand your position; is just that I think that trying to reach "the best sound and feel" is an impossible goal.

I’m by no means against accuracy; I just think it would be very limiting to only do accuracy when with such a powerful tool at hand the sky’s the limit. It’s not a question of one or the other, when you can have both, use your fantasy, create something new. It’s the goal one is after not the path.. Just saying

Besides that I’ve already got my tones nailed and my happiness goes back a ways on the Fractal time line, this is just for sake of discussion..

I’m by no means against accuracy; I just think it would be very limiting to only do accuracy when with such a powerful tool at hand the sky’s the limit. It’s not a question of one or the other, when you can have both, use your fantasy, create something new. It’s the goal one is after not the path.. Just saying

Besides that I’ve already got my tones nailed and my happiness goes back a ways on the Fractal time line, this is just for sake of discussion..

It's all good bro. My point is that we already have both since models are becoming more accurate and advanced parameters let you idealize them if you feel the need to do it. Also, as you know, the Axe has many idealized models to choose from.

BTW, I am not against idealized models, one of my favorite amps in the Axe is the Fas Class A amp; is just that I think that modeled amps should be as accurate as possible while idealized versions can be released as FAS Amps.

The active support of this company is one of the key reasons I chose Fractal Audio over Kemper, though there were several other factors. This stuff is a hobby all on its own and being an informations systems tech makes it a nice match for me personally. Keep up the great work!

The active support of this company is one of the key reasons I chose Fractal Audio over Kemper, though there were several other factors. This stuff is a hobby all on its own and being an informations systems tech makes it a nice match for me personally. Keep up the great work!

I agree. The Fractal can be the ultimate geek out if you want it to :) in a good way!

Back
Top Bottom