Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.04 Firmware Release

That is just freaking awesome. And bizarre.
Edit: Reply fail. Was trying to capture the post with the video embedded.
The original video is very good also - but what is the backstory? It amazes me that the delivery is so well-rehearsed, and there is more than one version - who paid?

I'm a bit scared to release this. It's so accurate but some of the models are plain nasty, just like the amps. Spitty, fizzy, scratchy. The 65 Bassman sounds completely pissed off.

^^^^

This is great to read :)

If I were to have any criticism of the Axe 2 [ and the KPA for that matter ] ..... and Im really stretching my criticisms here ...... its that their tones are just a bit " too nice " when compared to a " real " amp.

All great [tube] amps that great natural fizz / scratch / spit / nastiness to their tone ...... its what makes them sound soooo freakin gorgeous ...... maybe this may put some "off" ..... but its fantastic to know the amps are continuing to move in this "realer" direction.

These are ridiculoulsy great times to be an electric guitar player :)

Ben

I'm a bit scared to release this. It's so accurate but some of the models are plain nasty, just like the amps. Spitty, fizzy, scratchy. The 65 Bassman sounds completely pissed off.

I can't recall you ever being scared, that means this shit is real, so excited!!! Sadly I will have to wait if you did release it, working on a new project haha. Thanks Cliff for the hard work.

Hold down "Store" key and press "Tuner" key exactly after 44 hours, and you will get the new Beta version of the 65 Bassman.
If you fail, you will get the Behringer AT108 instead.... :rolleyes:

I'm curious how this 3.0 stuff will work on the FAS models, since I do tend to gravitate toward those for a lot of my high gain tones.

The idea of having a high gain rhythm amp as flexible and finely honed as FAS Modern being sputtering and nasty is an intriguing prospect, for sure.

I think the next (and possibly last) improvement towards perfection would be the interaction between amp sims and pedals (both axe models and real stompboxes). To me pushing a real amp at edge of break up with real od stompboxes still feels more dynamic and open sounding while the axe amps seem to take away some of that magic, over compressing a bit too much - I say that after A/B comparisons between one of my vox's and the axe set to sound as close as possible to it, placing a few different od boxes in front of both with same settings.
The high gain amps sound more and more impressive with every fw update and that covers most drive needs, but I'm sure there are people (including myself) who still prefer to use a clean amp as a blank canvas and different stompboxes as colors - and if that happened within our magic black box that would be the ultimate game changer!

I think the next (and possibly last) improvement towards perfection would be the interaction between amp sims and pedals (both axe models and real stompboxes). To me pushing a real amp at edge of break up with real od stompboxes still feels more dynamic and open sounding while the axe amps seem to take away some of that magic, over compressing a bit too much - I say that after A/B comparisons between one of my vox's and the axe set to sound as close as possible to it, placing a few different od boxes in front of both with same settings.
The high gain amps sound more and more impressive with every fw update and that covers most drive needs, but I'm sure there are people (including myself) who still prefer to use a clean amp as a blank canvas and different stompboxes as colors - and if that happened within our magic black box that would be the ultimate game changer!

I seem to remember FAS indicating that there are certain elements to drive/amp interaction that just can't be modeled as technology currently stands.

I may be incorrect but I'm almost certain that's the case.

I seem to remember FAS indicating that there are certain elements to drive/amp interaction that just can't be modeled as technology currently stands.

I may be incorrect but I'm almost certain that's the case.

IIRC this is in regards to how some vintage pedals, e.g. fuzz, interact with passive guitar circuits.

The guitar's electronics and the fuzz become a single interactive circuit. This can give great dynamic expression. But also suck for downstream pedals. I use a buffer after fuzzes like this with good results: guitar -> cable -> fuzz -> buffer -> rest of my pedals.

IIRC this is in regards to how some vintage pedals, e.g. fuzz, interact with passive guitar circuits.

The guitar's electronics and the fuzz become a single interactive circuit. This can give great dynamic expression. But also suck for downstream pedals. I use a buffer after fuzzes like this with good results: guitar -> cable -> fuzz -> buffer -> rest of my pedals.

Right. I remember that for sure. But didn't Cliff pretty much say we've reached the max for how we can expect the drives to behave on the whole? I thought it still had something to do with the input a/d conversion.

Are you simulating a buffer in the axe, or are you talking real world amps situation here?

I had a peavey vyper amp a few years back and it had the most realistic fuzz emulation I've tried. Interaction was dead on to the real thing. no idea how it worked but it did impress me.

and if you could do it before I have to pack up for weekend services at church that would be great....3:30cst deadline!! lol

Yes, Fuzzes behave as if they have a buffer in front, because there IS a buffer there... according to a post Cliff made when talking about the above. So, yeah, that strikes me as a hard limitation. Like the speaker resonance, the system does not have enough information or the necessary feedback loop to sense it or behave differently.... Those two items are about it, though, AFAIK.

Right. I remember that for sure. But didn't Cliff pretty much say we've reached the max for how we can expect the drives to behave on the whole? I thought it still had something to do with the input a/d conversion.

Are you simulating a buffer in the axe, or are you talking real world amps situation here?

Real amps or in front of the Fractal.

I've got a vintage Big Muff that I like that I can't reproduce in the box (yet).

the thing is that using an axe od into a real amp yields better dynamic response than going with a real pedal into the axe amp, that's why I think the limit is not within the drive block, but it's in the interaction between distorted signal going into the axe amp sim. For example, if I try a ts9 or a sd1 into a real amp they sound much different than if I run them into the axe amp, same thing if I run the axe ts808 or super od into a real amp, if that makes any sense. And just to be clear, I'm not saying this is an issue, I'm just saying that would be the last improvement I could think of!

I recall Jack Zucker commenting on this back in the Ultra days; that the pedals offered something special not reproduced within the Ultra. So, if I understand correctly, the circuitry of the guitar is "one" with the circuitry of certain (but only certain) pedals. Can this be made more specific? Is it only certain fuzz pedals that offer this desirable electronic interaction?

Lol, maybe I need to go out and buy me one, the only pedal I did try in front of the Axe FX Ultra was an overdrive pedal, and to me it was no better than within pure Fractal-space. It would be really cool to hear this elaborated on more.

The Hendrix blend of octave/fuzz was always something I couldn't fathom solely with the Fractal stuff I own.

I recall Jack Zucker commenting on this back in the Ultra days; that the pedals offered something special not reproduced within the Ultra. So, if I understand correctly, the circuitry of the guitar is "one" with the circuitry of certain (but only certain) pedals. Can this be made more specific? Is it only certain fuzz pedals that offer this desirable electronic interaction?

Lol, maybe I need to go out and buy me one, the only pedal I did try in front of the Axe FX Ultra was an overdrive pedal, and to me it was no better than within pure Fractal-space. It would be really cool to hear this elaborated on more.

The Hendrix blend of octave/fuzz was always something I couldn't fathom solely with the Fractal stuff I own.

I believe its the low input impedance of the vintage fuzz that causes loading effects for the guitar electronics. It's really poor design, but it can create cool tone.

That helps. At least I think. But more pertinent than simply humorous. For instance, wouldn't a lot of the functions, but especially the virtually modeled dingle arm, and as I see it perhaps an accompanying ramified housing shield, belong on the Fractal wish list as specific upgrades to the squashage capabilificators, and secret saucifying Fractal virtual amp simulizating phantom-extra-guitar-player-limb appendage mediators. Am I getting it?

Back
Top Bottom