Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.04 Firmware Release

Hi,

Ok I have updated my axe and MFC again to latest Fw, and my XL is still freezing requiring a power reset. I am not using axe edit at the same time now.
I am not sure what to do anyone got some suggestions??

Any particular action or preset causing this that you can repeat?
Mine is has been rather intermittent, but also seems to be triggered by ODS100 Clean Factory preset (or very close by). I haven't had an issue in past 2 days but I've avoided that "area" of the MFC.

I've actually not invested any time though. using fractal bot and a couple mouse clicks....... if you want to be technical, takes like 10 seconds for each operation...

I understand your train of thought and the point you are making, however it's not feasible for me to re-do a couple hundred presets every other month when there is no improvement to be made, as the presets are already exactly where I need em to be.
Use global blocks, you can redo them in seconds.

Def Leppard used a Rockman to record most of the guitar tracks on the album Hysteria.
Not surprised on that one either. Rockman, for guys without tube amps, was a revolution. It was a brilliant design and marketing effort, and had some impacts on me, good and bad I am sure.

And I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of Rockman-based model; If idoable it would be cool. I think it is a little different than what Cliff normally models, in that it has a sort of overwhelming coloration.

I will say, on the down side, the thing about the Rockman for me was that it kinda made playing delicate and difficult passages a little too easy, because any errors were well concealed and made to fall into a more homogeneous liquid sound. For example, I learned the little lead part of Uli Roth's "Sails Of Charon" and was having no trouble making it sound like I was playing it cleanly. But with a more revealing tube-amp-based sound I am sure the hidden mistakes would have been enlightening and would have improved my playing faster (if I didn't give up sooner).

Uli's technique, IOW, was a lot better than I thought. Similarly, I can see a player like Gary Moore, had he been isolated from every amp but a Rockman, developing into a very different (and probably sloppy) player. Lol. Probably I'm kidding. And the Rockman sound is cool because you can record it at 96k, 48k, 44.1k, 22k and it will sound very similar no matter what. Now I think I'm almost definitely kidding.

Ultimately I had a lot of fun with my Rockman. Help Cliff Model one. A fundraiser might work. ;]

This version was compiled with my new computer. Perhaps this new Core I7 5930K water cooled monster contributed some extra mojo to the firmware.

Knowing that Cliff uses a water cooled rig instead of air makes him all the "cooler" to me. You overclocking that beast?

Reactions: RDH
Not surprised on that one either. Rockman, for guys without tube amps, was a revolution. It was a brilliant design and marketing effort, and had some impacts on me, good and bad I am sure.

And I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of Rockman-based model; If idoable it would be cool. I think it is a little different than what Cliff normally models, in that it has a sort of overwhelming coloration.

I will say, on the down side, the thing about the Rockman for me was that it kinda made playing delicate and difficult passages a little too easy, because any errors were well concealed and made to fall into a more homogeneous liquid sound. For example, I learned the little lead part of Uli Roth's "Sails Of Charon" and was having no trouble making it sound like I was playing it cleanly. But with a more revealing tube-amp-based sound I am sure the hidden mistakes would have been enlightening and would have improved my playing faster (if I didn't give up sooner).

Uli's technique, IOW, was a lot better than I thought. Similarly, I can see a player like Gary Moore, had he been isolated from every amp but a Rockman, developing into a very different (and probably sloppy) player. Lol. Probably I'm kidding. And the Rockman sound is cool because you can record it at 96k, 48k, 44.1k, 22k and it will sound very similar no matter what. Now I think I'm almost definitely kidding.

Ultimately I had a lot of fun with my Rockman. Help Cliff Model one. A fundraiser might work. ;]
I wonder if modeling transistors is as difficult as modeling tubes. Hmmm.

Is there maybe an issue with the Fender Deluxe Gain (fixed at the Normal, I know).

I have to decrease Input Trim to 0.5, Gain at 2,5, but still no real clean sound......

I like the FW 2.4 a lot - the Marshalls again spot on, espessially the JTM 45 rules........:D

Savage 1 and Mesa Mk 4 are great on Preamp 2.04, i prefer to decrease Presence to 2.5 - 2.00, very strong and stabil low mids, also at low gain.

Some Lead sounds like VH4 4. Channel sound better with 2.01 to me.

Herbert 3 has got a lot bass, to much - better with 2.01 IMO.

Have been spending time on the 2.04 firmware this afternoon and flipping between the different versions for fun; some observations:

-the differences between the two versions are much more revealed with a clean amp; using a 5F8 Tweed amp vs the Euro Red shows more effect on the feel of the different versions. On "Latest" that amp is much more alive and touch responsive, especially vs 2.01

-on higher gain amps "Latest" has more clarity in distortion, especially vs 2.01

-there are some tonal changes, etc. between the versions but nothing you couldn't tweak out in 10 seconds with Drive/B/M/T

-all my presets created on v2.03 are now showing "Latest"

I created my presets on v2.03 and very much prefer the feel/response/clarity of that version (which would be "Latest").

Going to be a fun afternoon as I'm going to be trying some new amps/setting/recommendations from Yek's latest series of amp articles and mixing some cabs in the latest CabLab to see what, if any, changes UltraRes 2 brings to my current v1 UR cab mixes...fun times ahead today.

...and definitely staying on "Latest"...

It would be interesting to hear feedback on this. I was surprised at how close the Boston sound was approximated by using compression and creating the Boston solo guitar EQ in a graphic or parametric EQ block (which if memory serves is that nasal sounding EQ you refer to), which means the blocks already at our disposal just possibly might work fine. I'm no expert, never really was able to play or sound the way Tom could.

As a side note I didn't know that Peace Sells was done that way. That explains why a lot of the guitars on it sound just like one! Cool info.
Trivia time: anybody know the first top 40 hit containing a guitar solo played through a Rockman?

Back
Top Bottom