Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.02 Firmware Release

Cliff, when you do your measuring and calculating that get the modeling so close to tube sound, is it in tandom with the feel calculations or are they two totally different beasts? I mean, are the tone and feel done separately or together? Just curious. Thank you

Yeah man mine reset for sure. All speaker tab settings (with my IR I tend to pull the high frequency down to 1000 from 1200, for example), all the tube stuff, harmonics (of course), sag, the whole shamboozle.

(Sorry, went to go check if my Motor Drive settings had changed and got lost in playing for 45 minutes.:D )

My Motor Drive settings were unchanged, as were any of my speaker tab or sag settings (all of which I have altered). Only the pre/power tube types changed with me.

My initial thoughts on 2.02 were a bit sceptical as to whether I liked it or not, maybe too hard sounding,( I was liking 2.01 pretty well) but when I ran the harmonics in the middle range it came into focus for me on pretty much all my patches, especially clean and mid gain. Now I'm pretty happy with 2.02. I think there are higher gain amps that benefit from the harder harmonics settings.

Okay, I just spent the last five hours coding it so the user can select 2.01 or 2.02 for *each" amp model (rather than a global setting). This way you can choose which version you like best.
This is super awesome because it seemed to me that the folks who didn't like 2.01 were complaining about some Marshall/Freidman sounds--that I rarely use--while I thought that the lower gain Vox/CA/Fender/Dumble type tones I use more are much improved with 2.01. Thanks so much!

On the other hand, good lord! --this must get old!

Just a thought and perhaps question for Cliff;

Is it possible to completely separate the amp modeling from the rest of the unit so that only the modeling updates are effected? This way people can use whatever version of FW for the sound of the main amps but we wouldn't loose all the other neat functionality and effects when they get updated? Just curious. Maybe I need to start a different thread...

Is it possible to completely separate the amp modeling from the rest of the unit so that only the modeling updates are effected? This way people can use whatever version of FW for the sound of the main amps but we wouldn't loose all the other neat functionality and effects when they get updated? Just curious. Maybe I need to start a different thread...
that would be insanely difficult to troubleshoot and support.

which feature version are you on? 2.01, oh but what amp modeling version? oh 17.02. xl+... my head hurts just thinking about it!

great idea though.

This is super awesome because it seemed to me that the folks who didn't like 2.01 were complaining about some Marshall/Freidman sounds--that I rarely use--while I thought that the lower gain Vox/CA/Fender/Dumble type tones I use more are much improved with 2.01.

Being one of the users that is enjoying 2.02 much more than 2.01, I will admit that 98% of my patches are high gain. I only have one dumble patch and maybe two fender cleans. There may be something glorious in 2.01 going on for those lower gain amps and that "edge of breakup" everyone seems to be focused on, but I can't speak to that. To me, it's either clean or in your face most of the time :)

Being one of the users that is enjoying 2.02 much more than 2.01, I will admit that 98% of my patches are high gain. I only have one dumble patch and maybe two fender cleans. There may be something glorious in 2.01 going on for those lower gain amps and that "edge of breakup" everyone seems to be focused on, but I can't speak to that. To me, it's either clean or in your face most of the time :)
Now we are talking :)

Ugh, posts like this really get to me, sorry lucb. Just because you may have little tweaking to do doesn't mean those having issues should just chill and play. Simple sympathy for those less fortunate who may have spent weeks or months on a tone only to have it change drastically isn't so painful. :)

As much as I love new firmware and all that Cliff does for us, I've always had a problem with feeling I was being punished for liking a tone in an older fw that stopped me from updating to something new that had cool options I COULD use. I so hate hearing stuff like "we're spoiled" or "just don't update".

What Cliff has presented here in adding the fw voicings we like better in one update is massive and shows he has been hearing us. This one little option is huge for someone like me and quite a few others. So if some of us complaining or kindly stating our feelings got us to this point, I'd say it was worth the conversation.

As a person who has voiced an opinion many times on this forum when something wasn't working right, I've always posted in depth responses attempting to explain my issues in the kindest and most informativeb way possible.

It's never been because I'm spoiled or giving Cliff a hard time. (and I know you didn't single me out) I want to help make this thing better too...even if "better" at times may be subjective. It's all subjective really.

But what's not subjective is starting from scratch every month while being unhappy and having to use old fw that doesn't have the cool new features. What Cliff did here allows everyone to be happy without massive tweaking.

I guess my point is, if we can't walk in another man's shoes, we should at least be sympathetic because let me tell you, some of my fractal tweaking sessions nearly forced me to give up when I wasn't successful. I'm reluctant now that those days will be fewer if not over for good. ;)

Don't need to be sorry Danny Danzi, haha. Like the name of the forum sugests, this is a discussion (healthy one i hope =) ). What i meant in the end is that Cliff can't, and will never be able to please everyone. There is a friend of mine that really preffer the sound of his Zoom G3X. Who Am I to judge at the end?

Cliff! You are the man! Thank you...
About the firmware, I am all good on 2.02. I think it kicks @$$

That's exactly what I have been hoping for since I've become an axe user. Two of my favorite firmware's were one of the later 16 versions and 1.06 Quantum. I actually want to go and try them to see if I even still like them haha!

But seriously, if it's possible, I'd love to see separate updates for tones and then the rest of the unit. Cliff made a mention that we may not see many more updates that require major amp tweaks a few weeks ago.

Whatever the case, if what you mentioned were possible, I'd welcome it with open arms. :) it would probably be a beast to do, then again....Cliff is quite a beast at this stuff. But I'm thinking Chris is probably right....might be a nightmare.

Personally, it sounds a little like the tail wagging the dog. If the goal is to get the sound and feel as close to the reference amps (obviously the custom Fractal amps are different) then regardless of anyone's personal preference to a specific sound or feel, I would vote for getting it to sound and feel like that amp and being done with it. If it is Q2.01 or if it is Q2.02 that sounds exactly like the reference amps then thats what the amp sounds like and thats that. Users can go into the almost dizzying array of advanced features and tweak it to sound however they want. Not to mention all the IR's that are out there to add additional customization of the sound and feel. Again, personally, if the Axe sounds and feels like the real reference amp then Fractal's job is done and I'd prefer to to see the inspiration go into new amps, effects, greater efficiency of the algorithms and frankly whatever other cool stuff Fractal can dream up.

^This.

Okay, I just spent the last five hours coding it so the user can select 2.01 or 2.02 for *each" amp model (rather than a global setting). This way you can choose which version you like best.

Awesome!
I call this a productive sunday
This man deserves to be on Forbes list

I am happy the option exists for people. Is it worth 5 hours of Cliff's time? Sure, why not if he has such a generous nature. It has the effect of letting the user community "age" with the firmware options like a vintage wine. Lol. While they are learning how to dial in the stuff they think they can't get with the new firmware, which possibly they can dial in if they try (maybe, maybe not. Obviously they can find it easier if it happens to be right in the preset they already have. Thanks Cliff, for starting this one of a kind company.

Back
Top Bottom