Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.02 Firmware Release

I will add in here that when people get the "blanket on my amp" or "spiky weird distortion" feelings when they load a new FW, they should try to do a reload of the FW before making a decision on it. I've had it happen a couple times where reloading the FW has completely gotten rid of these types of behaviors. I'm not the only one either. I would say it is in my head, but I've done it where I took a recording, reloaded the FW and then tried it again (in the 1 or 2 times it's happened to me) and the difference was clear as day. I kind of wonder if sometimes there aren't errors in loading FW that might wonk out specific deep (and untouchable) parameters. I know FAS is extremely nit-picky about their programming, but other people have also said the exact same thing I have said here. It's always worth a try if your first impression is "yuck".

Sometimes with firmware changes, my tone changed and all I needed to do was to dial the amp again, and In 10 or so minutes o got a better tone that of the previous firmware.

In some cases I agree, but when an update throws off the level of only some models or blocks, it's a little tedious to go through each one with AxeEdit, select the block, go to the front panel and select the VU meter, adjust, switch to the next patch and do it all again. It's even harder when more than just levels change. If the block edit screen in AxeEdit and the VU meter screen on the front panel were persistant, or if we had a VU meter in AxeEdit, it would be easier. Tone match patches that suddenly sound different are no picnic either.

I do really love all the updates and I don't mind minor tone adjustments - so I'm not complaining or asking for a change. I just wish the recovery process was quicker. It's not always trivial.

RR

@Swan1 I really don't see anyone claim the model do or don't match the reference amps?

My point is, when the algo changes affect the tone, it might only affect those that have changed advanced params, or have two amp blocks etc. etc.

I don't see most of these posts as ungrateful whiners either; instead they are musicians with good ears noticing significant change and wondering if anyone else hears it too.

For all those who don't change advanced params much, and drop an amp and cab in, great! I'm one of you! :) and 2.01 and 2.02 both sounded pretty good.

The worst opinion is always "NO" opinion. I like hearing what everyone thinks, even if it is wrong at times.

It might be a moot point given the new firmware that's impending, but I noticed my patches sounded different after updating last night (and not for the better), but then discovered that both the preamp & power amp tube types that I had altered in 2.01 had reverted back to their default models. After changing the tube types back to where I had them prior to updating, my patches seemed to sound pretty much the same as they had with 2.01.

So if you've changed either the pre or power amp tube types in any of your patches prior to 2.02, you may want to check and see if they went back to default.

It might be a moot point given the new firmware that's impending, but I noticed my patches sounded different after updating last night (and not for the better), but I then discovered that both the preamp & power amp tube types that I had altered in 2.01 had reverted back to their default models. After changing the tube types back to where I had them prior to updating, my patches seemed to sound pretty much the same as they had with 2.01.

So if you've changed either the pre or power amp tube types in any of your patches prior to 2.02, you may want to check and see if they went to default.

I am loving the Export to CSV feature in AxeEdit to catch these types of things!!!!

I had added 3.8db at 4K to my SLO patch and had long forgotten about it. Exporting to CSV spotted it right away.

It might be a moot point given the new firmware that's impending, but I noticed my patches sounded different after updating last night (and not for the better), but I then discovered that both the preamp & power amp tube types that I had altered in 2.01 had reverted back to their default models. After changing the tube types back to where I had them prior to updating, my patches seemed to sound pretty much the same as they had with 2.01.

So if you've changed either the pre or power amp tube types in any of your patches prior to 2.02, you may want to check and see if they went to default.

Yeah I noticed without even doing an amp reset my pre and power amp tubes defaulted, motor drive turned off, and speaker drive also reset. After a bit of tweaking those parameters I was back in my happy spot.

@Swan1 I really don't see anyone claim the model do or don't match the reference amps?
Cliff's intent is not to accurately model the reference amps in the Axe? I think (but am too lazy right now to do a search) that he has said as much but could be wrong. Some are liking 2.01 and others 2.02. My question would be which one sounds like the reference amp? And that is the one that goes in the Axe.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean the Motor Drive in the cab block? I'll have to check and see it mine reset too. Thanks.

Yeah man mine reset for sure. All speaker tab settings (with my IR I tend to pull the high frequency down to 1000 from 1200, for example), all the tube stuff, harmonics (of course), sag, the whole shamboozle.

2.02 is much more transparent to me for the purpose of quickly dialing in tones. I felt there was something improved between 2.00 and 2.01, but didn't have the skilled ear that could tell that 2.01 had lost something; but the fact was that in 2.01, some amp models, and the cab models overall, still were not as easy to plug into and explore enjoyably, as they ARE NOW. I am very happy that this was honed into, and completely grateful for the deftness of those that pushed us in the direction that 2.0 represents.

Thanks to all, not least Cliff!

I thought 2.02 sounded great. I was having some issues with my presets pushing my Preamp too hard but with 2.02, that problem has kinda sorted itself out nicely.

The harmonics knob is interesting. Mind you, it'd be awesome if it could work in reverse as well. Turn it up to soften the amp, turn it down to choke it up.

Fractal said:
Okay, I just spent the last five hours coding it so the user can select 2.01 or 2.02 for *each" amp model (rather than a global setting). This way you can choose which version you like best.

Dumb question do I need to reinstall the new 2.02 or is that coming in a new update

Dumb question do I need to reinstall the new 2.02 or is that coming in a new update
well the option definitely won't automatically appear, so i'd guess we will get a new version at some point.

just my humble opinion which some won't like as usual: we've seen "use older modeling" options before in the past, maybe 2 or 3 times by now? and at some point, they are removed and just set to whatever the latest version is. by that point, sure some are sad to see it go, but most don't even notice.

i can't imagine trying to make the Axe-Fx so that pleases everyone, from the #1 guitarists and legends in the world to the novice guitarist playing his first few gigs at the local club, and everyone in between.

my thought - which truly doesn't matter - is to always push the Axe to use the latest versions, no options for loading older versions. that stuff keeps the axe in the past, slows down development, and at some point might be moot anyway. if people have issue with the latest thing, sure, do tests, get opinions etc. but again my thought would be to then just choose one way to go.

i have a feeling i know why cliff has built-in that option from time to time... but the user base is expanding so rapidly, i wonder if making finite decisions on something like 2.01 vs 2.02 would be the "better for more people" option.

such a hard thing to do, i know. just my thoughts on it, and that i support whatever direction FAS and Cliff want to go with their gear. :)

Okay, I just spent the last five hours coding it so the user can select 2.01 or 2.02 for *each" amp model (rather than a global setting). This way you can choose which version you like best.
Thanks for putting up with us, Cliff, you rock! :D

On a sunday?? Cliff your passion is awesome ..the unit is so dam nice...you can get ANY tone out of it....I've had mine 2 years , sold my amps and never looked back. I use FRFR...thank you sir!!!

Back
Top Bottom