Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.02 Firmware Release

Great my ears are still not deceiving me.... Defo had a moment on 2.01 where I was thinking it was me and my firmware upgrades etc has screwed something up....

Really great to have a new update so soon!

Thanks FAS team.

Does the change to preamp harmonics values means we have to reset amp blocks in the new presets (post q2.01) ?

i recorded a session with 2.01 and it sounded great. did people actually have "bad" sound with 2.01?

Yeah I kind of missed a firmware in there so I don't know what happened for sure. Apparently (based off what I'm seeing here) Cliff decided he liked certain elements from 2.0 and 2.1, and we're still not sure what happened with the harmonics setting. Either he defaulted everything back to 0 and we can use it if we want, or the preamp simulation has been refined and 0 is the relative starting point for each amp. Waiting for confirmation on that.

Wow! I downloaded 2.01 a week ago and never got to update (as I'm in the middle of a project).
Thanks for all you hard work, FAS!

i recorded a session with 2.01 and it sounded great. did people actually have "bad" sound with 2.01?

Yes. Well, I wouldn't say "bad" sound, just unexpected. People have tried to describe it many ways. To me, it was almost like a bit of sustain was getting sucked out, but only really noticeable on a few patches. It was really tough for me to get back to the 2.00 sound because lowering the harmonics and playing with input, presence, xfmr match etc. always seemed to end up making it a bit too harsh.

2.02 is absolutely perfect though. I just finished going through every single custom patch I have. About to go through them all a second time I'm that excited about this!

edit: I also noticed that after this update I've decided to remove additional drive blocks from a few patches. I did the same when I first installed Q1.00, and now with these improvements a lot of my older presets sound better without that extra drive that was needed in the past.

Could be pilot error - but I did not sit in the mix as well last night at a gig after last update -- something was off. I had everything pretty well dialed in 1.06 -- did a few gigs with 2.0 and it sounded good -- last night was the first with 01. I use mostly Fender amps Deluxe Tweed and Vibrato Lux for about 70% of the tunes and the Carol Ann OD2 and the Ford 2 for a few songs. If I take out the strat - Vibrato Lux gets replaced with the Twin. I even reset my amp blocks after the upgrade -- again it could be pilot error -- probably just need to tweak and spend a little more time with them --

Last edited:
Cliff and Co. Thanks for all you never-ending hard work to make this the best it can possibly be.

1 question about the harmonics being zero. Wouldn't it make sense to have it default at 5 so there is room to go to the left, or 0 with negative values.

I am not complaining, just a question. I couldn't be happier with my rig.

edit: I also noticed that after this update I've decided to remove additional drive blocks from a few patches. I did the same when I first installed Q1.00, and now with these improvements a lot of my older presets sound better without that extra drive that was needed in the past.
Ever since quantum I think the drive block very rarely gets used in my patches, I just don't need it at this point barr needing to tighten a sound up.

The easiest was is to use Cab-Manage within Axe-Edit. You can select everything in the folder and just drag the entire set into your unit in one simple step. Just highlight a empty slot that has enough spaces after it to accommodate everything you selected.

And don't forget to save your changes so they actually get written to the unit.

TT
Thanks mate, i'll try this

1 question about the harmonics being zero. Wouldn't it make sense to have it default at 5 so there is room to go to the left, or 0 with negative values.

increasing the new Harmonics parameter softens the distortion, according to the notes. my guess is that it theoretically doesn't make sense to "harden" the distortion with this particular control?

Yes. Well, I wouldn't say "bad" sound, just unexpected. People have tried to describe it many ways. To me, it was almost like a bit of sustain was getting sucked out
Not like that for me, gobs of thick sustain on 2.01, I wonder how many people install the updates, go to there goto presets without resetting the amp block and adjusting?
because 2.01 for me was awesome after block reset.

Back
Top Bottom