Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.02 Firmware Release

I'm confused on the harmonics value. In 2.01, I thought the default was set for accuracy for each particular amp. Is the harmonics value normalized in 2.02 so that zero represents the accurate value for the amp, or did 2.02 just turn it down for every amp?

RR

Thanks Cliff! We are the most spoiled customers in the world. If I were him I would have waited another week and taken the day off today, especially after all of the "F5" posts in the last thread ;)

I'm confused on the harmonics value. In 2.01, I thought the default was set for accuracy for each particular amp. Is the harmonics value normalized in 2.02 so that zero represents the accurate value for the amp, or did 2.02 just turn it down for every amp?

RR
Some question here...........

Hi, please forgive my daft question but I'm very new to this. I've upgraded to 2.02, thanks. my question is, do I have to open the UltraRes Samples folder and install each syx file individually? Many thanks...

Hi, please forgive my daft question but I'm very new to this. I've upgraded to 2.02, thanks. my question is, do I have to open the UltraRes Samples folder and install each syx file individually? Many thanks...

Depends. If you have an XL/XL+ those IR's are already installed. If you have a MK 1/MK 2, then you need to load them in to the user cabs using one of Fractal Bot, Axe Edit - Manage cabs, or Cab Lab.

Depends. If you have an XL/XL+ those IR's are already installed. If you have a MK 1/MK 2, then you need to load them in to the user cabs using one of Fractal Bot, Axe Edit - Manage cabs, or Cab Lab.
Thanks for your reply, I have a Mkii buddy, so I just load them in to fractalbot as I did the quantum update?

RR
Sounds to me like zero is the correct effect based on the specific amp, and turning it up just softens; there being no way to go the other way.

I too am curious, but if it were me that's how I'd implement it based on maybe it being easier to get a pleasing sound by softening. Probably adding a dimension to go from 0 to -0 levels would not be much benefit. (Maybe also, going the other way would be too difficult because it would require a separate new algorithm for each tube/amp combo - not something I would want to jump into even if it were worthwhile). Maybe I can loosely compare this to options for swing values in rhythm, rarely does one need a value that has the shorter period right after the downbeat. I.e. swung, means to have the pulse length of more rhythmically stable beat location become longer. If it were shorter this would confound the rhythmic musical space. This is similar, in that Cliff has allowed a more musical effect, but going the other direction would not be equally more musical.

Just a guess. Curious if I could be right

This firmware is such a blessing. I feel like the sweetness of the various nuances of tub-i-ness are all there, and that none of the artificial harshness (strident-ness) is present. Even with my no-tone-knob guitar, I don't feel like I'm on that search to fix any of the tones. They are just unique and musical. One other thing I notice, the cabs all sound pretty good. Which wasn't the case really with 2.00 and 2.01, although it was getting closer. (But this is not, I repeat, not a major upgrade or anything. SHHHHHHHH!!).

Last edited:
I have a question. I have a high gain amp set to sound pretty fantastic but it feels a little choked or compressed so I turn the gain up and lose my tone. Is there a knob or setting to make it more loose feeling? Thanks

This firmware is such a blessing. I feel like the sweetness of the various nuances of tub-i-ness are all there, and that none of the artificial harshness (strident-ness) is present. I don't feel like I'm on that search to fix any of the tones. They are just unique and musical. (But this is not, I repeat, not a major upgrade or anything. SHHHHHHHH!!).

This ^^^^^^!!! I absolutely agree! I got the timbre of 2.0 without the harshness! The tube break-up via power amp sounds awesome too and that loose low end I mentioned in one of my other posts is completely gone! The only thing I have to do in my presets is raise a little gain. The compensation for me is to turn the boost on, drop amp gain -1.5 and I'm golden. This is awesome! Etch this one in stone as "pre amps and power amps final", Cliff! Unless of course you brain storm something else. LOL! This is really sweet man. Thanks for listening to us as well as all the hard work you and the beta team do. If you ever need another pain in the ass beta guy, let me know. :)

I have a question. I have a high gain amp set to sound pretty fantastic but it feels a little choked or compressed so I turn the gain up and lose my tone. Is there a knob or setting to make it more loose feeling? Thanks

REDD, try what I said in my post above. The amp gains (to me) are behaving a little differently. Turn boost on if you don't have it on, and decrease amp gain (input drive) until it sounds right to you. I had the same issue as you at first...that's what solved it for me.

hey! i just loaded 2.01 yesterday!

Edit: OK I loaded this one too, and I think i'm hearing some better tone! Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi mate, I just tried to load one in through fractalbot and a box came up saying I would be overwriting a cab. I got confused so I left it...

The easiest was is to use Cab-Manage within Axe-Edit. You can select everything in the folder and just drag the entire set into your unit in one simple step. Just highlight a empty slot that has enough spaces after it to accommodate everything you selected.

And don't forget to save your changes so they actually get written to the unit.

TT

Back
Top Bottom