Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.01 Public Beta

If you read my previous comment you'll see how to set up a stereo track using the Axe FX outs 1 and 2 as the inputs for your stereo wet track, and then use the Axe out 3 as the input for a mono dry reamp track, when you are recording. Make sure they are grouped to arm recording simultaneously, and phase aligned/locked, the same way you would set up multiple drum mics, to allow for synchronized editing and time stretching of takes without causing phase issues.

After you've recorded and edited various takes into a cohesive performance, you will have a "good" reamp track, and a wet stereo printed track.

What I've encountered is, if I have a heavy delay on, and I make a mistake, of course, I will hear that over and over again a beat or two later. So, if I use "take editing" I might be able to get the wrong note fixed, but still hear the repeats of the wrong note from the other take.

That's really where reamping can help. Once you've crafted a very good and solid reamp track, you can send it back through the AXE and print the wet a second time, so the delays are repeating only "good" notes. Hahaha. I've heard you play, so you probably do not have to rely on modern digital editing trickery like I do, but still.

The way you send the reamp track back through the AXE is simple - you have to set the INPUT of the Axe to USB, instead of being set to the analog input when you are using it for guitar.

One word of caution - don't forget to change the Axe Input back to analog after you are done using it for Reamping.

I've have had several Oh My God moments when I've fired up my rig, and no sound comes out when I strum the guitar....only to discover that I left the input set to USB from the previous reamping use the day before.

One last thought occurred to me - the output 3 and 4 that I am referring to as dry reamp tracks, are really whatever the signal is, that's feeding the Axe FX. So if you like to run your favorite stompbox or wah pedal in front of the Axe FX, that effect/overdrive will be printed on your "reamp" track. If you want to record that way, but you still want an actual, clean guitar only reamp track, you'd need outboard splitters commercially available, to go into your soundcard.

I dig this post. I'm going to start doing this. Thanks for the detail. I've long known about this, but never think to do it and this just flipped the switch for me.

Well, it happened again after about an hour & a half. All of a sudden the name disappears from the MFC screen & it loses communication with the Axe. No computer hooked up at all, latest MFC firmware. No issues with this ever before this beta. Anyone else have this issue???

Well, yes, I had this exact issue on Monday night, but It's not related to this FW, since I was on Q1.something. It happened twice in about an hour. I just had to reboot.

As a note, I always suspect and double check my FASlink connections. I have found the XLR jack in my MFC to be a bit finicky. It likes only certain kinds of connectors, and I go 100% with large Switchcraft ends that fit very snug. before, I was using a cheap XLR I bought from GC or Sweetwater, and it moved around and I had problems. Still, even with a Mogami cable I am always suspicious of the jack when I have any issues related to my MFC. I'm not sure that was the case on Monday for me, or with your issue, I was just making mention of it.

Well, yes, I had this exact issue on Monday night, but It's not related to this FW, since I was on Q1.something. It happened twice in about an hour. I just had to reboot.

As a note, I always suspect and double check my FASlink connections. I have found the XLR jack in my MFC to be a bit finicky. It likes only certain kinds of connectors, and I go 100% with large Switchcraft ends that fit very snug. before, I was using a cheap XLR I bought from GC or Sweetwater, and it moved around and I had problems. Still, even with a Mogami cable I am always suspicious of the jack when I have any issues related to my MFC. I'm not sure that was the case on Monday for me, or with your issue, I was just making mention of it.

Thanks for the info Pinkycramps. I'm using ethercon connectors & unplugged & replugged them in. It is a Bestronics cable so it is high quality & the rig has not been moved in well over a year. I have another XL that has not been updated to 2.01b & I will try that one tonight to try & eliminate the MFC or cable as the cause. The weird thing is, it was fine for an hour to an hour & a half both nights & then crapped out. I worked on presets in several banks, 1 thru 8. Then I came back to bank 1 & it started sounding weird. Went to bank 6 Monday & then bank 5 last night & that's when it died. Very strange!

I´ve seen the bug-post after trying the first 2.01 beta. But I´m surprised how good some amps sound with PA Hardness at zero - so you should try this, even it´s an issue (vox, Plexi 50 W).

I´ve seen the bug-post after trying the first 2.01 beta. But I´m surprised how good some amps sound with PA Hardness at zero - so you should try this, even it´s an issue (vox, Plexi 50 W).

I don't quite like them at zero but I like it less than default. I typically set it between 3.0 and 4.0.

I use modern tube type on all my presets for the better clarity/note seperation.... how do I get this same type of thing now with the nee changes????

just reset the amp in the AXE - EDIT - for example: the friedman was on 0 - after a reset about 5

Thanks for the info Pinkycramps. I'm using ethercon connectors & unplugged & replugged them in. It is a Bestronics cable so it is high quality & the rig has not been moved in well over a year. I have another XL that has not been updated to 2.01b & I will try that one tonight to try & eliminate the MFC or cable as the cause. The weird thing is, it was fine for an hour to an hour & a half both nights & then crapped out. I worked on presets in several banks, 1 thru 8. Then I came back to bank 1 & it started sounding weird. Went to bank 6 Monday & then bank 5 last night & that's when it died. Very strange!

Hmm, somehow sounds for me like it could also be a thermal problem, so after this time you play, the unit could be gotten so "hot" that the cpu doesent act proberly anymore and locks off... maybe because of a dying fan or too much dirt on the heatsinks or something like that...
Maybe have a short look at the inside of your Axe. Just a suggestion

Hmm, somehow sounds for me like it could also be a thermal problem, so after this time you play, the unit could be gotten so "hot" that the cpu doesent act proberly anymore and locks off... maybe because of a dying fan or too much dirt on the heatsinks or something like that...
Maybe have a short look at the inside of your Axe. Just a suggestion

Possible but this is a new unit I got a few weeks ago when they had the secret stash sale on the XL's. Could be a defect in the unit. At least it & the MFC are still under warranty!

The new 2.0 beta 1 doesn´t save, when I change Poweramp Hardness. I´ve rolled backed to 2.0.

Comparison 2.0 - 2.01 beta: Sounds more rich, fat, lively than 2.0, great for single notes. A good step to the next level.

Reactions: trb
The new 2.0 beta 1 doesn´t save, when I change Poweramp Hardness. I´ve rolled backed to 2.0.

Comparison 2.0 - 2.01 beta: Sounds more rich, fat, lively than 2.0, great for single notes. A good step to the next level.

Agreed on tonal difference. Bug described may be related to the one logged elsewhere that it doesn't save preamp or power tubes when changed, either. Which is a shame, because I like the new preamp tubes well enough that I'm rolling back to 2.0 for now. Hopefully it will be quick fix.

Agreed on tonal difference. Bug described may be related to the one logged elsewhere that it doesn't save preamp or power tubes when changed, either. Which is a shame, because I like the new preamp tubes well enough that I'm rolling back to 2.0 for now. Hopefully it will be quick fix.

Did you do something additional at any Parameter or only change the Preamptubes? I must be dump but I don´t hear a difference when I change them.

Did you do something additional at any Parameter or only change the Preamptubes? I must be dump but I don´t hear a difference when I change them.
I can hear very clear differences between a lot of the preamp tubes. Changing them also changes some other parameters (hardness, at least), but even with the same hardness, the AX7A sounds different from the AX7B.

Starkest differences are on low or mid gain models to my ear.

I had an experience like this when using Axe edit, but when using the front panel it's easily noticed?

Back
Top Bottom