Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 2.01 Public Beta

I was getting MFC time out errors last night as well. No Axe Edit or Fractal bot connected. It was fine for a couple of hours & all of a sudden kept timing out. A restart fixed it but it kept happening again after a few minutes. I re-downloaded the firmware & re-installed it. Same problem. Anyone else?

Well, it happened again after about an hour & a half. All of a sudden the name disappears from the MFC screen & it loses communication with the Axe. No computer hooked up at all, latest MFC firmware. No issues with this ever before this beta. Anyone else have this issue???

Man... Now I love the Triaxis model (USA Pre) Lead Yellow... I know it's supposed to emulate the IIC+ in the original Triaxis, but... It just sounds and feels better than the USA IIC+ amp. Man it's so much fun to play, it's *that* sound that I wanted.

Since getting the AxeFX my playing has improved a lot. I still sfsuck up, but just to check it, I played through my tube amp last weekend, and the improvement remained. I used to feel like I had to play with a death grip on the neck. Have learned that light touch, it's only getting better!

Well, it happened again after about an hour & a half. All of a sudden the name disappears from the MFC screen & it loses communication with the Axe. No computer hooked up at all, latest MFC firmware. No issues with this ever before this beta. Anyone else have this issue???

Post in the 'bugs' section to see if it's reproducible.

And you are on a beta after all...have patience.

Did you try a different cable to the MFC to make sure its not possibly going bad?

Post in the 'bugs' section to see if it's reproducible.

And you are on a beta after all...have patience.

Yes, I know it's a beta which is why I am posting about a potential problem. Some one else posted in the bugs section but then said a setting was changed. He said resetting that fixed it but never said what the setting was. My I/O settings look right, it is set for ethercon connection. I did post in that thread but will post my own thread if no one responds there.

Did you try a different cable to the MFC to make sure its not possibly going bad?

I don't have another ethercon cable to try but I don't think that is the problem. The Axe started sounding weird shortly before it happened. My Twin preset sounded real bright & thin. I had played it earlier in the evening & it sounded great. Also, the edit light came on when no edit was made & then the clip light & then none of the input lights would register at all when the MFC dropped the preset name from the screen, then said name time out & became unresponsive. It worked fine for over an hour both times & then died. After it dies, re-booting fixes it but only for a couple of minutes.

The build for the Mark I/II was not properly resetting pertinent parameters for existing presets. Here is a new build:
www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-2/Quantum/2.0/axefx2_Quantum_2p01beta1.zip

Wow, big difference. I tried the beta out briefly last night, but wasn't really liking it that much and decided to just wait for the 2.01 official release and rolled back to 2.00. Then tonight I saw this bug fixed beta for the Mark I/II, saying that certain parameters weren't loading correctly, particularly in Amp 2. Since my main patches use 2 amps at once (and they were the only ones I tested the first beta with last night), I gave this new beta a try, and like I said - Big difference. :)

I don't think my Mesa Mark patches have ever sounded better. I'm really liking the new 12AX7B preamp tube type in them. I was using the 7025 type, but now prefer the "B's",and even the default 12AX7A over them now (haven't tried the other types yet).

Thanks Cliff. :)

Last edited:
I saved presets with the buggy 2.01b on a mk1. After installing the corrected 2.01b mk1 version will the faulty parameters still correct on their own or do I have to manually check them? If so, what parameters do I have to look for and what values should they be on? Thanks in advance for your outstanding dedication and support!

Cliff - Found a possible bug (well I don't see how it could possibly not be one, but.... ;)) :

Preamp Tube Type won't save to anything but the default (12AX7A). No matter what I set the Type to, after hitting Save and re-selecting the patch, it still shows 12AX7A as the tube type. This happens in both Amps 1&2, X&Y, and I'm programming from the front panel, not Axe-Edit. I'm using the Mark I/II 2nd beta firmware.

Thanks.

Edit - I see it's already been reported in the Bugs sub-forum:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...ock-not-saving-changes-auto-resetting.111166/

2nd Edit - Well, not just the Preamp Tube Type, but the same thing is happening with the Tube Type (power tube) parameter on the Amp block's "Pwr" page, as well as the Tube Bias/PA Grid Bias parameters (same control repeated) on the "Pwr Dyn"/"Adv" pages,. They all revert back to their default values after saving.

Last edited:
I don't usually get involved in gushing remarks about the updates but this Beta has flushed me out of the shadows.
I'm blown away!
I've been exclusively using AxeFX since 2008 and this update is giving me heart palpitations.
Of course the Class A models are sounding brilliant but even some of my high gain tones are extraordinary.
I didn't expect that. (I'm not a high gain guy.)
What does it say about this man (and his team) that he doesn't rest on his laurels, which he could have done years ago, but continues to push the envelope and freely give to those who have bought his amazing products.
Kudos.
...slinks back to the shadows...

Can anyone confirm/deny this?
I believe it's true. I set the trim up at 1.8 and the gain is quite high.
For me, the Preamp Hardness should be higher than 5.6 (about 6.5 - 7.0) as I wanted the breakup to occur after a lot of clean gain but I guess that's a matter of opinion. I owned and I still have access to, a custom hand built AC30TB with an EF86 channel with 2x12 Blues. From memory, I'm hearing that tone with the higher hardness value.
Great to have the option to set up any amp with the range of tubes, both preamp and power! Thank FAS

OMG !!! The HiWatts baby!
Iv'e often read about that mythical moment here. When a software update arrives ..you put up your fav amp with your fav cab and.. BOOM ! It sounds incredible without touching a thing. Tonight I hit up a Hiwatt Brilliant amp -paired it with a Ownhammer Gh12h TV cab (Scott Peterson mix) and could not stop playing for ages.My main recording squeeze is a Salvation Mods Hiwatt card in an Egnater m4. This preset really gives it a run for the money. Thankyou Fractal x

I believe it's true. I set the trim up at 1.8 and the gain is quite high.
For me, the Preamp Hardness should be higher than 5.6 (about 6.5 - 7.0) as I wanted the breakup to occur after a lot of clean gain but I guess that's a matter of opinion. I owned and I still have access to, a custom hand built AC30TB with an EF86 channel with 2x12 Blues. From memory, I'm hearing that tone with the higher hardness value.
Great to have the option to set up any amp with the range of tubes, both preamp and power! Thank FAS
well obviously, if you near double the input trim the gain is going to be ridiculously high....i was asking if there had been any official statement that this was the method to get a true ef86 vibe.

Back
Top Bottom